Greg Stafford

by ExpandedMind 13 Replies latest jw friends

• ExpandedMind
    ExpandedMind

Hi! Does anyone who posts here have contact with Greg Stafford? Is it possible that this is just a "pen" name so that he remains anonymous?

His recent book "Dissertation" was excellent. When I tried to read through his "Defense" book, it was a little deep (when discussing the deity of Christ and specific Bible texts), but after reviewing it, I wondered how someone with his reasoning ability would be able to deal with other issues that have been raised.

Obviously he has been thinking of those things and showed how his thoughts had advanced by what he wrote in "Dissertations".

Is it possible (I may have read this on this or another website) that he has a connection with the Governing Body (or individual members) who may have given him the authorization to write these books (like it appears they did for AH MacMillan who wrote Faith on the March)?

I, of course, wish for him to have privacy and hope that he is not being hounded by elders trying to disfellowship him (although I believe I read a post that supposedly came from him, that indicated that all was well at that time).

I just can't believe it is possible for anyone to write what he wrote and not be disfellowshipped. Or if not disfellowshipped, he would be put on some type of reproof and expected NOT to talk about these things any further. Of course it is my REAL hope that this indicates a possible change in the Watchtower organization... perhaps allowing more individual thought, maybe evening a change in their shunning policies. I still have family in the organization and would love for them to have the freedom to think for themselves and to talk to those who have left the organization.

Anyone have additional information that can be shared, without causing difficulties for Greg Stafford? Since he has made his views public, I am just curious.

If Greg Stafford reading these posts, can you give us an update?

Anyone wish to discuss this further?

ExpandedMind

"The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size." --- Oliver Wendell Holmes

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

Thought better of my comment, and deleted it

Edited by - hamptonite21 on 30 December 2002 17:26:23

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Greg was involved with a group of 40-50 Witnesses who were in contact with the Writing Committee in Bethel. This group provided research and analysis on many topics.

When Greg wrote and published 'Dissertations' he was dismissed from the group, along with at least one other Witness who was sympathetic to Greg's viewpoints. The group felt Greg went too far in his comments.

As far as I know, Greg is not DF'd. I do know that his book caused a stir, but what caused more of a stir was his willingness to testify in Shunned Father's behalf in the Calgary case.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Greg has debated some of us in the past, and pulled a stunt or two that caused him much embarrassment. I think a guy with his intelligence will finally get tired of hoping he can help reform the Watchtower and will decide he's done with them. When and if that will occur, I have no idea. He's no doubt in the "A" list of brightest people who still remain Jehovah's Witnesses.

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 30 December 2002 18:11:57

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

EM,

I'm not sure of his screen name, but a few of Greg's friends hang out at times in the JW/ XJW chatrooms on paltalk. One of his friends, Alf, has posted here a couple of times also. If, I see any of them, anytime soon. I'll let them know you posted about him.

Shari

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

You may want to research Alan F's posts. As I remember,he had quite a lot to say regarding this book and the author. Good reading.....

Edited by - thichi on 30 December 2002 18:55:13

• Carmel
    Carmel

Dear Expanded,

When I first began frequenting discussion groups such as this one and others like H20, I asked if there were any JW scholars, having never seen anything any JW had authored other than the writing committee. Several people gave me Br. Stafford's name and titles of his work. What I've gleaned from his apologetics is that he is not much of a scholar in that his ability to detachedly understand the position of those who take an appossing view to his doctrinal conclusions. As such, and with all due regard to those who think highly of his intellect, he is anything but a good scholar and will likely never be one until he can step out of the mindset created by the Borg and be subjective. If he does leave the "fold" it will likely be on emotional issues that trigger a forced examination of how the Borg treats its R&F and compares that to the admonitions and teachings of Jesus.

the caveman

• caballoSentado
    caballoSentado

Dear Expanded,
    Greg Stafford reads & posts in the CHANNELC forum:
    http://www.channelc.org/cgi-bin/eboard30/index.cgi
    Caballo Sentado

• apocalypse
    apocalypse

I read the book. Barbara Anderson gave me hers.

Thanks Barb.

I wanted a chance to read it.

Of the book? Poor quality. He runs around issues and omits. I was very dissappointed. I would NOT reccommned it.

But he probably wrote the way he did in a futile attempt to stay IN the org. I am sure it has backfired.

TO GREG:

Greg, nice try, but sorry. Your book falls flat. If you are willing to debate online, I will go for it. I will go back and re-read it just for the event and makes notes on specifics..

I assure you, however, that that would be one debate you will lose miserably.

You made alot of boo boo's and I would point them out publicly.

Better that you accept your fate, leave the org, and write a real book like Ray has done.

Apocalypse

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

"Better that you accept you fate, leave the org, and write a real book like Ray has done" ......Oh my, has Greg got you a little rattled here?!!!! LOL.......what a first class statement of stupidity from you. Just when I think there is some afterthought here, apocalypse blows it out the water. Please try and accept that not all share your view on this site. Tickling the ears..........hmmmmm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit