Tolerance

by Xena 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

You know most of us spend a large part of our lives in a religion that allowed for no independant thinking. We were taught and taught others that ours was the only way and anyone who thought differently was going to be judged unworthy and die. Anyone who presumed to think outside the box was branded "apostate" or not good association. It didn't matter what kind of person they were, it didn't matter that their beliefs in no way hurt us or ours.

Then we left that religion behind us. We did it for various reasons, but we did leave it. That is why is is so hard for me to comprehend how some can attack and ridicule others for their beliefs, beliefs that hurt no one. I can understand discussion and I can understand being upset when others try to judge us based on their own beliefs, but someone who just states they think something different from us or has ideas that conflict with us or may present something to us that is beyond the realm of our conprehension...to belittle that person or mock them....haven't we moved beyond that? Why would you want to hurt someone with mocking words just because they presented something they found interesting but you perhaps don't? Does it hurt you in some way that they believe this or want to share it with others?

I guess I just don't understand human nature sometimes and quite frankly I am not sure I want to.

lol sorry I just had to get this off my chest...stepping off the soapbox now...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Great minds think alike.

I just posted something about this on the "Does Religion drive you nuts?" thread.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Well said Zena.

Bullying by the written word is even more reprehensible than physical bullying. It is the action of a moral coward and results in the instantaneous diminishment of a persons credibility. Of course, healthy debate even with the vigorous opposition of opposing views is not bullying. Bullies chose 'soft' targets that they feel are no threat to them and then proceed to pull off legs like a schoolboy with no heart does to a fly. You can spot them a mile away even if blind-folded.

HS

• Nikita
    Nikita

Great post Xena! I know when I was a dub, it seemed we mocked others for their beliefs, we had a "I am superior" attitude. It seems that attitude carries over to the ex-jw community as well. While I don't see anything wrong with having a laugh at things we observe once in awhile, the hurtful words and attacks aren't justified.

Nikita

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

A question arises: Is Nibiru real? The answer to that is a resounding "Yes". There are those who believe that the Anunnaki of Nibiru are coming back to Earth soon. They believe that Planet X is going to pass by Earth, in May or June of 2003, on its 3,600 year orbit around our sun. Such believers are terrified of the consequences that a close pass by Nibiru might bring. They fear this will cause earthquakes, tidal waves, severe flooding, food shortages due to climatic conditions, diseases, meteor fire storms, volcanic eruptions and the like.

Xena, I assume you are referring to the earlier thread started by Reporter. See above quote from that thread. I feel I can tolerate any belief, but this was so far over the edge that I felt I had to respond. Most of us have already been bamboozled by the borg and before I become too tolerant I would sure appreciate some scientific proof that Nibiru and Planet X actually exist.

Then we left that religion behind us. We did it for various reasons, but we did leave it. That is why is is so hard for me to comprehend how some can attack and ridicule others for their beliefs, beliefs that hurt no one

You are correct, perhaps my earlier post was a bit harsh, because very few people are likely to believe this stuff anyway. Having said that, I still want proof thise places exist. Bug

• Beans
    Beans

Well writen Xena, you covered it all. I really enjoyed reading this and really could relate to it!

I respect everyones decision to believe in whatever they want, I do also enjoy learning about what they believe and if I disagree I enjoy discussing each others views.

It is really fun discussing it with the Witnesses because we now have all the answers to refute what they say and putting them in a situation where they are stumped, then you know you have reached them!

Beans

http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Religious tolerance is one thing, Reptile Alien races from Planet X and a belief that Jehovah is actually a renegade space cannibal are outlandish and mentally unstable at best.

The 'god" of the Old Testament was actually a tribe of renegade space cannibals, with a leader named "Yahweh", who was the commander of a UFO spacecraft ("pillar of fire", "pillar of cloud", etc.) and a geneticist who cloned Adam and Eve from himself and put them on this planet which was already inhabited at that time, And the "first born sons" of the Israelites became road dinner for the "Jehovahs".

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=43427&site=3

• Matty
    Matty

I must admit I fall over on this subject sometimes, it's very easy to be dismissive and intolerant of other people's beliefs. I agree about respecting "everyone's decision to believe in whatever they want" but the very important stipulation that has been made here is "beliefs that hurt no one".

As far as I can see, although it's natural to be angry about what some religions do to people, and to a certain extent a faith that exploits and abuses their adherents should be exempt from such tolerance, being really abusive to such people makes them become more and more entrenched in their view.

Edited by - matty on 30 December 2002 13:34:7

• freedom96
    freedom96

People are people. Some are going to be more passionate than others. Some people have more tact than others.

Just because someone was a witness, and experienced all the same crap, doesn't mean that they will suddenly become compassionate towards others and their beliefs.

Some people are just better at communicating and having people skills than others. Does not make them better or worse, just facts of life.

• larc
    larc

my opinion short and sweet - attack ideas, not people. I used to have students who had to write a work related research paper. I would give them the same advice. Don't say that upper management is just plain stupid. Doing so will shorten your career. Simply point out the nature of the problem and suggest the ways to fix the problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit