Favorite Bible passage?

by Happy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

2 Corinthians 4. I love the whole chapter and read it when I get really low, but my favorite part is the last three verses. This is from The Message: "That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. For our present troubles are quite small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us an immeasurably great glory that will last forever! So we don't look at the troubles we can see right now; rather, we look forward to what we have not yet seen. For the troubles we see will soon be over, but the joys to come will last forever."

And for those of us former pioneers, this chapter also contains the Famous Volkswagen Verses (verses 8 & 9 but you have to read the NWT to appreciate it).

Nina

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Matthew 18:6 (Contemporary English Version)

It will be terrible for people who cause even one of my followers to sin. Those people will be better off thrown into the deepest part of the ocean with a heavy stone tied around their necks!

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

1 Corinthians 13:1-8 (Revised English Bible): I may speak in tongues of men or of angels, but if I have no love, I am a sounding gong or a clanging cymbal. I may have the gift of prophecy and the knowledge of every hidden truth; I may have faith enough to move mountians; but if I have no love, I am nothing. I may give all I possess to the needy, I may give my body to be burnt, but if i have no love, I gain nothing by it.

Love is patient and kind. Love envies no one, is never boastful, never conceited, never rude; love is never selfish, never quick to take offence. Love keeps no score of wrongs, takes no pleasure in the sins of others, but delights in the truth. There is nothing love cannot face; there is no limit to its faith, its hope, its endurance. Love will never come to an end.

• searcher
    searcher

Amos 3: 14,15

14:
    "that on the day I punish Israel for his transgressions,
    I will punish the altars of Bethel,
    and the horns of the altar shall be cut off
    and fall to the ground.
    15:
    I will smite the winter house with the summer house;
    and the houses of ivory shall perish,
    and the great houses shall come to an end," says the LORD.

searcher.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

1st John 2:

27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will [5] abide in Him.

• Ed
    Ed
    I was just wondering what some people's favorite scriptures are.

For some reason, I really like this one:

Exodus 32:11,14 (NWT) - And Moses proceeded to soften the face of Jehovah his God and to say: "Why, O Jehovah, should your anger blaze against your people whom you brought out of the land of Egypt with great power and with a strong hand?" .... And Jehovah began to feel regret over the evil that he had spoken of doing to his people.

Even the God of the Old Testament could be questioned and reasoned with.

• Francois
    Francois

Ed, that scripture show also that God does indeed change, even though he claims to be changless. First he was gonna get 'em, then he felt regret and decided not to get 'em.

Gotta love it.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

"Take heed about how you hear, for to him who has more will be given"

• Introspection
    Introspection

I can't remember the reference, but this one comes to mind: "When a person thinks he is something when he is nothing, he is deceiving his own mind." That would certainly apply to beliefs, yet for some reason it's so hard to grasp that they're only thoughts in your head.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Intro, that would be Gal. 6:3. (Can't find your Scrips anymore, eh? LOL )

Another one I like:

John 9:41 Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains."

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit