Favorite Bible passage?

by Happy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Happy
    Happy

I was just wondering what some people's favorite scriptures are. One of my favorites is

Matthew 7:1-5

1 "Do not judge so that you will not be judged.

2 "For in the way you judge, you will be judged;and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

3 "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, bu do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

4 "Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is inyour own eye?

5 "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

I like these verses because IMO they are very wise passages, and also these really apply the WT.

Edited by - Happy_Guy_Of_Goodness on 29 December 2002 17:10:42

• rebel
    rebel

I have always loved John 8:32 "And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Now it is beginning to make sense.

xxR

• Marcos
    Marcos

Happy!

This is my favorite scripture for today. We are discussing it here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=43413&site=3

Marcos

• onacruse
    onacruse

"The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know." (1 Cor. 8:2 NIV)

Craig

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

One of my favorite passages is the following:

"Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; man has no advantage over the animal. Everything is meaningless. All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return.

"All share a common destiny--the righteous and the wicked, the good and the bad, the clean and the unclean, those who offer sacrifices and those who do not. As it is with the good man, so with the sinner; as it is with those who take oaths, so with those who are afraid to take them. This is the evil in everything that happens under the sun: The same destiny overtakes all.

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten. Their love, their hate and their jealousy have long since vanished; never again will they have a part in anything that happens under the sun.

"Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do...Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun-- all your meaningless days. For this is your lot in life and in your toilsome labor under the sun. Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

"I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all." (Ecclesiastes 9:1-11NIV)

• gumby
    gumby

I like the one in the song of solomon that talks about boobs and butts!

Reeeeeeally though...my favorite is " Love God and your fellowman"....the greatest of them all.

• Francois
    Francois

"God is Love."

• rem
    rem

This is one of my favorites:

Proverbs 18:17

The first to present his case seems right,
    till another comes forward and questions him.

Unfortunately, it comes just before this gem of a proverb :

Proverbs 18:18

Casting the lot settles disputes
    and keeps strong opponents apart.

rem

• blondie
    blondie

Matthew 7 6 "Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

Matthew 23 24 You blind guides, filtering out a gnat and gulping down a camel!

Blondie

• patio34
    patio34

One that strikes me as full of irony, given my atheistic tendency, is the one where Paul said:

If in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are among all men most to be pitied.

It's ironic because he was admitting the futility of being a Christian if it weren't true, which is what I've come to think.

No offense to any theists--and don't throw things at my head!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit