If this happened, what would you do?

by whyhideit 27 Replies latest jw friends

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

You have been following the news for weeks on Iraq and wonder, "when will we attack and get this thing done?" Finally we invade and the war is in full swing. The Economy, which has been struggling for months now, finally caves in and major retailers fold as of the results of an extremely poor holiday shopping season. You figure it is not affecting you personally, and go to sleep as if it is a normal day. The next day you wake and turn on the lights, get some coffee and sit down on the couch and turn on the television. The news is on, so you turn to find something else, but every station is covering the same thing. You start to pay attention and see that a nuclear bomb has detonated in the USA, and the news is showing the city of LA burning in ruins. People are dead and burning on the streets, and the things you have come to know as icons of the west coast are burning before your eyes. Disneyland, Hollywood, Downtown LA, all in flames and all the people are dead or dying, being left to burn where they lay. The news says the nuke came from North Korea and the President is considering a response, and no comments will be issued at this time. The device was detonated from a vehicle that was driven into the city, and now the government has banned travel between states and declared martial law with a 10PM curfew, all people found on the streets will be shot and considered a threat to the United States. You sit there watching the news all day and seeing the world in what seems to be complete chaos. Three million people are estimated to be dead in the LA area alone, with millions more injured and expected to die of the nuclear fall-out, and radiation burns. Just as you start to relax, the news updates "The United States has just dropped two Nuclear Devices on North Korea in response to todays attack. Russia has issued a protest, and China has just ordered the recall of all diplomats from the UN and United States." What thought is running through your mind at this moment?

"Armageddon"

I wonder, with the above fictional scenario, we have to admit that none of what I wrote is impossible. In fact, the above situation could happen next week. If it did, how would you feel? Would it waken up some hidden fear inside of you to run back to the Kingdom Hall? Would it make you think this is the end? It is easy to say, "I would never go back" when all is going well, but history has proven that life can change with no notice. How would you really react?

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

I can see where you are coming from and probably by your words you are gripped by fear. If shit happens, it happens. Neither you nor I have any real control over world events and some things take their course regardless of our individual fear and concern.

Try to enjoy and enrich the moment you exist within and for an alternate take on world events, cruise along to this site:

http://www.voxnyc.com/

• bigboi
    bigboi

Is it possible to put an atomic bomb with enough material in it to level a city as big as Los Angeles and kill of appproximately half of it's inhabitants in a truck?

I'd seriously doubt that anyone in the international community would issue any protests against the US for attacking a country that attacked it with a nuke of that capacity.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

If surviving Armageddon means you have to suppress your natural feelings, watch silently while children are abused, and live forever with a bunch of smug, self-righteous hypocrites, is it REALLY worth it? And if this is Armageddon approaching, doesn't it show more faith to trust that the God of the Bible, not the God of the Witnesses, knows we are doing our best in our own way? I think that's what really counts. If I'm wrong, well, I don't want to be stuck forever with a bunch of really irritating people. I'd rather hang with you guys!

Nina

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

I can see where you are coming from and probably by your words you are gripped by fear. If shit happens, it happens. Neither you nor I have any real control over world events and some things take their course regardless of our individual fear and concern.

Actually, I wonder if things like this could happen. The same way I did in the 1970's and 1980's with the USSR. I always wonder how strong people would be, if they faced something that would be so life changing to the world. I don't think any of us could really say that we would not consider a little old fear, if things really hit the fan.

Is it possible to put an atomic bomb with enough material in it to level a city as big as Los Angeles and kill of approximately half of it's inhabitants in a truck?

I was just making up something as an example, I am not a nuclear expert. I am not exactly sure how much it would take, but I don't think it would be good on the residence of LA either way. ;)

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

cruzanheart, Your post got me to thinking. I know that the Witnesses are wrong, and I would not return. Yet, I wonder, if something like the above happened and it seemed that something major was going down. I would kind of sit back and wonder if I would live long enough to see who got it right after all. I laugh, as I am suddenly reminded of a South Park episode like this, that came down to the Mormons being right the whole time and heaven was boring. The really good party was happening in hell.

Edited by - whyhideit on 29 December 2002 15:39:52

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Dizzy cat, that site has me thinking! Did you read their take on the bombing in Bali? Very interesting stuff.

Yeah, good post whyhideit. I've been thinking about the same thing for awhile now - glad to see I'm not the only one that sees the realities of today's world.

I've never been the type to say, "whatever happens happens - you can't change it." I say try to a part of the solution - be proactive - or safegaurd yourself. It's like people in Florida who know a huge hurricane is coming and don't secure their house or abandon their house to go somewhere safer. I don't see the logic in it myself.

The reality is that we are at a very critical point in history right now. The nuclear threat is REAL, especially in America and I think Americans are too confident in the government preventing it from happening. The fact is that it is quite possible there are already nuclear devices in this country in several different locations, waiting for the right time. I know for a certainty I wouldn't be living in New York or L.A. right now, and we're (g/f and I) actually very close to moving out of the Bay Area. Reacting out of fear you say? The way I see it, we're both young and have a prospectful future ahead of us, and I want to live to see the day I put a ring on her finger. I want to live to see the day we purchase our first home, etc etc etc...point being, it's up to each and every individual to take charge of their life. I'm not the sort to sit back and get blown away when every warning sign was available telling me it was coming. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

I wonder what the latest is on WTC moving out of NYC. No doubt the world situation has come into play in this decision of theirs. They all watched 9/11 happen from across the river in utter disbelief - I wonder how many Bethelites left after that. There's a lot of people from rural areas of the US at Bethel that HATE city life but are there cuz it's "the right thing to do." I can just picture them high-tailing it outta there! :-) That's a traumatic experience to witness....can't say I'd blame anyone for doing so really....

• Francois
    Francois

Bigboi, yes a thermonuclear device with enough yield to level LA could be fit into a truck. However, and unshielded nuclear device of virtually any size could be easily detected via satellite imagery. It wouldn't get very far. You'd have to ship the sucker in a swimming pool full of water to shield it properly. No sweat.

francois

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

....and ....go back to the JW's?

HEeeeelllll NO.

:-)

Only if a voice from Heaven said to do so. This voice would have a lot of explaining to do regarding the GB, that's for sure....

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    If it did, how would you feel? Would it waken up some hidden fear inside of you to run back to the Kingdom Hall? Would it make you think this is the end? It is easy to say, "I would never go back" when all is going well, but history has proven that life can change with no notice. How would you really react?

1. I would be horrified that humans do these things to other humans.

Then I would be pissed. I would say drop bombs on all of them. If you cannot beat them, annihilate them. I would check out joining the military. Just like WW2.

2. I would never go back to the KH, ever, for any reason.

3. I would not think this was the end. I would think that it is about time a woman be put in charge of the world and let us cat fight it out. Men have had enough time. Let the estrogen set give it a shot....we cannot do much worse then men have.

4. I really would react that way....(horrified, pissed, vengeful)

edited to add: Would it really be so bad if LA, Hollywood, Disney, Malibu Beach etc. were gone? Our society might be a little less superficial.

Edited by - teenyuck on 29 December 2002 16:7:57

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit