Was Adam created immortal?

by Mr Bean 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mr Bean
    Mr Bean

I don't think so!

22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
    23 therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
    24 So he drove out the man: and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

If he would eat from that tree, he would have live forever. But he wasn't created to live forever.

Any further thought's about it?

Peace...

• heathen
    heathen

This is a topic that has been on the board before and one I managed to bring up many years ago with the dub I was studying with. The WT ignores this and claims that adam became genetically inferior due to his sin and that is why we die . That scripture there clearly states that the tree of life was what entitled man to live til times indefinite .Then the bastard tried to play word games with me like,well we don't know for sure if the tree was literal or not and could be symbolic of something we have no idea what it could mean. looks to me like it means exactly what it implys because again in revelation in the new earth these trees of life are mentioned . They are described as bearing fruit and being consumed by people .

Edited by - heathen on 28 December 2002 1:47:42

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Yes, I think Adam was initially created immortal, but with a provision. In Chapter 2 of Genesis he was told he could eat of anything but the tree of knowledge of good and evil, because in that 'day' he would die. In other words, he would have lived forever except for breaking that one commandment. Also, I find it interesting that Adam was one of the oldest living patriarchs, living almost as long as Methusalah (sp), which kind of proves another scripture that states that a 'day' in the Lord is like 1,000 years here - so Adam did die in the same 'day' that he ate the fruit.

• simplesally
    simplesally

There is a difference, in the Bible, as to life everlasting and immortality.

Immortality means life within oneself. It means that you won't, cannot die. Life everlasting still must be sustained. So, those who live forever fall into 2 different classes.

• Mr Bean
    Mr Bean

I view of these verses; Adam could eat the fruit from three of life and live forever. Sin didn't cause his death. Cutting access to the three caused it. If we would reverse such situation, all we need is tree of life. Revelation talks about it anyway.

Punishment for eating the forbidden fruit was cutting the access to the tree of life.

In other words, Adam in modern world most likely would not live longer than we do.

And that would make him imperfect man. Just mortal like we are.

I such view Jesus sacrifice as perfect human for perfect Adam does not make any sense. If Jesus was equal to Adam, he was mortal as Adam was. He would die if he would not have an access to the tree of life.

I think it is very interesting line of thinking and again WTSs doctrine has some serious flaws.

Waiting for a new light!

Again and again.

Peace

• Mackin
    Mackin

Given that Adam & Eve, the tree, the serpent and God are pure fiction, and that the creation myth is just that, a myth, I don't see that any of it matters.

Mackin.

• donkey
    donkey
    So he drove out the man: and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way,

Who knows if anyone was immortal but at least you know that God was the inventor of the sword. He is very loving.

Apparently it was a gay sword too...

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

There is a difference, in the Bible, as to life everlasting and immortality.

Immortality means life within oneself. It means that you won't, cannot die. Life everlasting still must be sustained. So, those who live forever fall into 2 different classes.

SimpleSally,

This is just another Watchtower lie. No scripture to back it up either is there? They get away with a lot with statements like this. There is also no basis for teaching that an immortal person (human or otherwise) cannot die. Anyone or anything can be killed by God. This is just another lie that conceals from our view the truth of scripture. There will be two classes (if we insist on calling them that) in the resurrection (righteous and unrighteous). The ones already justified (saved) and the ones that must pass the final test. Immortality is not a factor in the kingdom as anyone that qualifies to enter will be immortal.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Adam was not created immortal. He was simply perfect (without sin) and qualified as a Son of God. To gain immortality Adam would have had to eat from the tree of life. This (apparently) symbolic tree would have been made available to him after a suitable time passed. Adam however failed to qualify for such life.

Jesus on the other hand did qualify and was transfigured. A literal tree is therefore not required for such a metamorphos and human beings will be raised immortal even as our Lord was.

3339 metamorphoo
    AV-transfigure 2, transform 1, change 1; 4

1) to change into another form, to transform, to transfigure
    1a) Christ appearance was changed and was resplendent with
    divine brightness on the mount of transfiguration

Matthew 17:2 And was transfigured <3339> before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.

This event contained a vision true, but it also involved a metamorphos or change along with this vision in which our Lord was transformed. There is a simple rule in scripture to describe this. Like for like, kind for kind. Thus an immortal resurrection for all mankind became possible because an immortal life was sacrificed in our behalf. A mortal life would not qualify as it would not be a like kind. And since we know that our Lord was the only human being to gain such immortality, we know what our Lord regained that Adam lost for us so long ago.

1 Timothy 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

2 Timothy 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

Joseph

• Ginosko
    Ginosko

Hi Joseph,

Seems you have a good understanding about this topics, specially the transfiguration point, and I appreciatte it.

But as you quoted 1 Tim 6:10 in this post about immortality, I have some related questions regarding it:

1. Why do according to the Bible Jesus Christ is the only being, appart from Jehovah who has immortality ?

2. Why angels aren't qualified to obtain immortality ?

3. So many eons and sacrifices had to pass so the Word of John 1:1 qualifies immortality and that it seems so easy for Adan to obtain immortality eating only from a figurative tree in the garden ?

I'll appreciatte if you have some opinion about.

Cordially

Ginosko

• archangel01
    archangel01

I don't think the tree of life was a literal tree.For satan said to eve is it really so not to eat from every tree.He didn't say if you can eat from that tree (tree of life) why can't you eat of this tree.God has a sense of humor when he said to his son "Here the man is like one of us".Jesus didn't need to eat of any tree to be perfect or stay alive then what would be the point of trying to kill him if he was already dead like us, get it.The tree of life is Not literal it is used as an example/illustration that symbolize life.In other words they would always crave life because they lost life from a tree so it is only fitting that God used another tree as an "illustration" meaning to get life back. And because that symbolic tree of life is in the garden and since they are kicked out of it they don't have (everlasting) life and will die an will alway long for that other symbolic tree meaning (Life).I hope this helps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit