How many visitors do we get ?

by Simon 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Someone was asking me in the chatroom about the number of hits the site gets. Here is a brief summary (of what we currently get per week):

21,000 visitors. This could range from there being 21,000 different people looking at the site or just one person who returns 21,000 times and is fooling me by posting with hundreds of aliases (in which case - hi there fella )

1,000,000 hits. This is every page & graphic requested.

610,000 page views. This includes the chatroom though which refreshes a lot. I'll try and get true figures for the forum.

The average visit is about 10 minutes (ooh, short attention span)

Most (80%) users have IE 5, 4 or AOL (which is good for the next version I'm working on). 9% have NS4 and the rest use WebTV (about 5%) and older IE/NS versions. Er... hand up the HP-UNIX User ?

So what does this mean other than that we're getting busier (but then I guess you noticed that) ?

Well, thankfully, space is no longer the issue it was since we moved to this new server (which has been a lot more reliable) but I do have to keep a close eye on the bandwidth that is used as there is a set quota for this. Fear not though! I'm working on ways to reduce this which will have the added bonus of speeding up the display of pages and give us more room for growth. I hope to have a beta of this available for you to try in the next week (my Bank Holiday weekend job ) which I'd appreciate some feedback on if you get the chance (I'll post an announcement with the URL).

• logical
    logical
    This could range from there being 21,000 different people looking at the site or just one person who returns 21,000 times and is fooling me by posting with hundreds of aliases (in which case - hi there fella)

Busted...

• Moxy
    Moxy

simon, which log analysis software does your ISP provide?
    i was actually curious about this but hesitated bringing it up because of the annoying paranoid discussions in that other board about IPs and logs and such, discussions that have been refreshingly absent over here. i had wondered about the requesting domains, if your ISP log analysis provides this info (or the logs themselves) - didnt rick always use to say that he knew lurkers from bethel were there because of the requesting domains in the weblogs? wondering if that were true here...

mox

• Farkel
    Farkel

: The average visit is about 10 minutes (ooh, short attention span)

The brain of the average dub goes into hibernation at 3.5 minutes IF they have coffee handy. TOPS! If not, it's about 39 seconds. If it is an interested householder who also happens to have rather larger, er, "girl glands" and IF the dub is also a male of almost any but a senile age, the attention span increases to several million years and his pioneer stats go off the charts as far as "time witnessing" (i.e. time oogling) goes.

: So what does this mean other than that we're getting busier (but then I guess you noticed that) ?

Yep. And you can blame me for some of that. There are many of my pals here now. In fact, there are MOST of my pals here now. But, it was Uncle Bruce who first asked me to check this place out. Therefore, it is ALL his fault. He's a jerk anyway.

Farkel

• Simon
    Simon

There are no obvious "we're from bethel" entries in the log so I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't checked all the IP addresses though (don't even know which ones the org owns).

Logical - I knew it was you

Farkel - I can remember how meeting a babe on field service made the time go quicker otherwise, 'the hour' used to take forever.

Actually, for most of our pioneers an hour almost did take forever - when they had rounded things up and factored in coffee breaks and the first door they knocked on the day before "to get started" then they had actually done more preaching in that one hour than Jesus did... ever.

• zev
    zev
    Er... hand up the HP-UNIX User ?

Dang......you found me out. I can't be the ONLY one....can I?

Its linux [red hat] and mozilla and/or netscape 4.75 {got both, trying them out for size}.

busted again.

__
    zev
    Sitting on the Wrong Side of the Fence Class

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    Wow, not bad stats for 15 years ago! I wonder what the number of visits per week are now? (though I suspect the number of AOL users might be slightly lower)
  • Simon
    Simon

OK, a quick update:

This year we average about 55k - 70k visits per week and 350k - 550k page-views per week (ha, the world stopped counting "hits" of assets a long time ago).

Chrome, Safari, Firefox and IE now make up 95% of visitors (and thankfully, newer IE). Incidentally, IE 8, 9 & 10 go end of life next Monday and will start to nag for upgrades - web developers the world over rejoice!

• new boy
    new boy
    Great job Simon. I hope it's become everything you hoped it to be.
  • Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    Did the average attention span change much? :-p

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit