Reinventing the WBTS

by link 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• link
    link

I realise that I could well get shot down in flames here but it is my personal belief that the WBTS will make a concerted effort to reinvent itself in the not too distant future.

I also believe that at this very moment they are working on ways to change the major doctrines that have become a millstone for them, without causing major problems and a mass exodus of the R&F. As I see it they have to leave the vast majority of their teachings intact whilst removing or changing the problem ones.

By receiving some sort of new light on 607 B.C.E. they would be able to change, or completely do away with, the significance of 1914. Although this would need to be the ultimate aim I think it would be difficult to achieve without altering many of their current interpretations of scriptural prophesy. They would also need to utilise anything they had left to retain their appointment to the position of F.D.S. and additionally retain the threat of an imminent Armageddon.

Obviously this would be an enormous task but one that will need to be undertaken at some point. Does anyone with Christian beliefs and some knowledge of WT doctrine have any ideas as to what might be the best way that the WBTS could go about this?

link

• yucca
    yucca

i dont think they have a way out out. they need to admit they are wrong and they are not gods organization on earth. if they do people will leave. they have no way out. god bless yucca

• Room 215
    Room 215

For starters, they might consider doing something similar to what the Herbert Armstrong gang did: come clean after years of futility in trying to outguess the Divine Mind:

Check out this thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=41630&site=3

• Analysis
    Analysis

Look at the example of the Church of Later Days Saints. They became a mainstream religion and kept many of their primary beliefs. They have done away with the multiple marriages, and only shun the most outspoken members of their religion.

I think JWs could make some very minor changes and become a respectable mainstream religion. I feel that they have been doing this for some time. But, progress is choppy and it seems that the Strict Old Guard is actually making one final attempt to keep everyone in line.

But, if they did away with the destructive policies such as:

1. Disfellowshipping - Only Disfellowship National Figures who are active against the Organization or Mass Murderers. The LDS still shun 10 or 15 people a year. The GB just need to take this authority away from the Local Elders. Then instruct the Elders to turn matters over to the proper authorities if the offense is a real crime such as child abuse or rape.
    2. They could keep their position on Blood, but never disfellowship or disassociate those who take blood.
    3. Encourage the members to strive for higher education, which in the long run would mean more contributions.
    4. Encourage Pioneering for only 2 years and then get on with your life, like the LDS.

If they did just those 4 things. They could keep most of the remaining doctrines. They are not the only religion that feels their leaders speak for god, or that the end is near. People want to believe in something. I think they could overnight actually increase their membership and contributions. The hours in Field Service may go down. But, they could have the Kingdom Halls packed on Sunday with the associated contributions.

Edited by - Analysis on 27 December 2002 13:13:13

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

They are in no jam at all.

As history shows, all they have to do is release some "new light" about how 607 was wrong all along and drop the whole 1914 thing.

By now most JWs don't even know that the "Faith and Discrete Slave" bases it's authority on having been found by Jesus (being faithful and discrete) upon his return. Only a few JWs will know that the change in the 607/1914 teaching means that the FDS has no authority. At this point in time most JWs simply assume that the FDS is the FDS without question.

The bOrg can change anything about anything they teach and the "loyal" and "obedient" JW sheep will follow without question.

JWs are not interested in bible truth, all they are interested in is being loyal and obedient to mother.

• link
    link

Hi Analysis,

Do you think that the 1914 doctrine, based on 607 as the year of the fall of Jerusalem, is unimportant?

The reason that I ask is that it was this and the teachings connected to it that were my most important consideration when rejecting the religion. I also understand from other threads that this is true of a number of posters here.

Doing away with shunning would be an excellent step forward but you would still be asking people to believe something that does not stack up against the present known facts.

link

• link
    link

Elswhere,

If it is that simple why dont they just do it? This teaching has to be an enormous mill stone around their necks. It would be one less impossible belief that they would have to try and instil into converts making the operation a lot,lot easier.

link

Edited by - link on 27 December 2002 13:40:54

• JT
    JT

i dont think they have a way out out. they need to admit they are wrong and they are not gods organization on earth. if they do people will leave. they have no way out. god bless yucca

Carl Sagan's Remarks About Jehovah's Witnesses False Prophecies

Alan Feuerbacher

A few years after the complete collapse of everything C. T. Russell had predicted, J. F. Rutherford began a process of replacing Russell's unfulfilled predictions with a series of invisible and spiritual events associated with the years 1914 and 1918. By the early 1930s the process was complete.

An interesting comment on this transformation was made by Carl Sagan in his book Broca's Brain (New York: Ballantine Books, 1979, pp. 332-333):

Doctrines that make no predictions are less compelling than those which make correct predictions; they are in turn more successful than doctrines that make false predictions.

But not always. One prominent American religion confidently predicted that the world would end in 1914. Well, 1914 has come and gone, and -- while the events of that year were certainly of some importance -- the world does not, at least so far as I can see, seem to have ended. There are at least three responses that an organized religion can make in the face of such a failed and fundamental prophecy. They could have said, "Oh, did we say '1914'? So sorry, we meant '2014.' A slight error in calculation. Hope you weren't inconvenienced in any way." But they did not. They could have said, "Well, the world would have ended, except we prayed very hard and interceded with God so He spared the Earth." But they did not. Instead, they did something much more ingenious.

They announced that the world had in fact ended in 1914, and if the rest of us hadn't noticed, that was our lookout. It is astonishing in the face of such transparent evasions that this religion has any adherents at all. But religions are tough. Either they make no contentions which are subject to disproof or they quickly redesign doctrine after disproof. The fact that religions can be so shamelessly dishonest, so contemptuous of the intelligence of their adherents, and still flourish does not speak very well for the tough-mindedness of the believers. But it does indicate, if a demonstration were needed, that near the core of the religious experience is something remarkably resistant to rational inquiry.

the comments below put it in an interesting perspective

If they did just those 4 things. They could keep most of the remaining doctrines. They are not the only religion that feels their leaders speak for god, or that the end is near. People want to believe in something.

and this is the bottom line there is a long history of religion REVAMPING - keep in mind to that religion is a revolvig door, while true some would leave, others would stay--but if they revamped and called it new light as has been mention, in 15yrs all new persons will never know of the old beliefs

and if they do THEY WILL NOT GIVE A RATS ASS,

ask the avg jw how does he feel knowing that bethel used to have a christmas tree in the lobby, trust me there has been no mass dash to the door upon learning that fact-

if wt stays as it is--- they will indeed shrink,

look at the BIBLE STUDENTS THEY ARE STILL AROUND AND THEY ARE SHRINKING , but notice what they have failed to do

they are teaching the same crap that russell taught in 1879- and as a result many of the teachings simply don't fit with what reality shows,

and we have seen the wt do it so many times- at one time they taught that

If a white man got the heart of a black man he would want to eat Chitterlings and Watermelon- i will see if i can find that article for you SMILE

ANYWAY --- my point is they no longer teach that , they changed., look at how many major dogmas wt changed simply due to what was no longer Reasonallbly supportable,

once wt realize they cannot sell this line any longer -- they modify it- we have all seen it happen in our lives in dealing with wt

so if they change and modify they will be around

also based on the fact that a new breed of men are taking over -with the chance to make THEIR OWN MARK on the org, while some will want to hold on to old ways, time by default causes so many things to have to change-

i mean to a jw who died in 1957, he would not even reconize the org of today

and the same in another 50yrs - any who are alive will not reconize it-

and yes wt will survive it they modify dogmas if not they will suffer a slow death like the bible students

just my 2

Edited by - jt on 27 December 2002 13:54:24

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I have to agree, it does appear that the change is on the horizen. However the WT has survived equally dramatic changes in doctrine before and will again. The part that concerns me is which way it will go. A consolidation of power, hence more cultlike, with less doctrine but more loyalty, or a more open and socially responsible organized "self help" pop theology. I see hints of both. I knew Lett very well as he was our C.O. ,he's more "Baptist" than most Baptists. That he was chosen to be G.B. in my opinion reflects a desire to remain ultra conservative.

• metatron
    metatron

'Reinventing' implies a degree of creativity that I don't see in the organization's
    hierarchy. Rulership of the Watchtower is increasingly by committee.

When people point to the Watchtower's past adaptations, they ignore the present
    bureaucratic paralysis. You just don't have a Rutherford, Fred Franz or Knorr
    to change things with any speed or sense of inspiration. Any individual who
    tried to change things radically would likely get df'd - like Ray Franz.

The only efficient and rapid change seems to come from the Legal Dept - or
    the Treasurer's Office. Money and law get immediate attention - not the cries for
    justice by the sheeple.

What I'm wondering is will this cult simply go into a limbo dance of decline
    that never manifests any dramatic change. You cut subscriptions, you cut literature,
    you cut Bethelites, you cut pioneer hours, etc. These look like little alterations
    done by committee - nothing bold or too honest.

My continuing question remains: how long does this quiet decay go on? Do the
    rank and file never wake up?

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit