The Bible Code

by Lassie 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Lassie
    Lassie

And it appears not many here have read it...

• Sargon
    Sargon

Lassie,

There's actually a book written that refutes the Bible code. I can't remember it's exact title, but it's in the library on the same shelf as the bible code. Just another guy trying to make a few$$$'s.

I think it's called the bible code exposed... or something like that.

• Lassie
    Lassie

Thanks Sargon, I may check that book out.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Lassie, don't worry about bringing up so called "dead subjects" here. Many are constantly being brought up again and again. Some don't care for it and others will join in with it. Many missed the other mentions so may be interested in discussing it.

As for the Bible Code, at one time, I saw some interest in it, but after researching the subject, dropped it. I view it as just someone else saying thay have found the "inside track" to scriptures. Instead, I have tried reading it again, but from the mindset of ancient Jews, as recommended in the book "The Doctriine of the Trinity, Christianity's Self Inflicted Wound," By Anthony Buzzard and Charles Gooding. Since it was primarily ancient Jews who wrote it, I strive to see it as they wrote it and not as we think it is today.

An interesting side note, I watched a program last night on the History Channel about the Bible and who wrote it. It appears there may be missing books to it, according to some scholars they didn't name. Luke and Matthew seem to be copied from Mark and references are made to another unknown book they call "Q." Of course, this is all speculation so far, as no copies of thius mysterious missing book can be found, but appears to be referenced to. I regret I didn't take notes, but will do some research into it.

I also bear in mind that it was the early Catholic Church that compiled the Bible as we know it today and declared it holy. Yet, most every Christian religion declares them ungoldy today. Still, they use the Bible as declared by the Catholics, save the Apocrypha. What my research will do towards my view and belief of the Bible remains to be seen.

Lew W

• Lassie
    Lassie

Thank you DakotaRed. I try to keep an open mind about what I read too. What I found interesting about the Bible Code is that it seems to sort of jump around (in my opinion) and speculation seems to be the prevailing assumption! That about sums up my review of the book! (are you scratching your head?).

• Farkel
    Farkel

Lasssie,

Thank you for sharing with us. You don't need any of us to debunk that book on the "Bible-Code(tm)". You need to ask yourself WHY there IS a Bible Code(tm)?"

Consider: The God who made us all gave us a book. In code. He didn't bother to give us a book we could actually READ and which told us what to do and what not to do. NO! He gave us a book in Code!

Ask: is this a nice God or a trickster God?

Ask: why all the codes and bullshit? Just what GAME is this God playing with us?

Ask: why cannot this God just give us simple answers about why we are here and what we need to do while we're here to make that God happy?

Ask: why does this God deleted with us and our minds and never answers us?

When you have those answers, let me and others know. We are most curious about that.

Stupid and bullshit answers will be demolished with simple logic, by the way.

Farkel

Edited by - Englishman on 27 December 2002 7:38:39

• Simon
    Simon

I haven't read the book but I got a cheap DVD (from the bargain bin) about it and it's interesting although I think it's hogwash (the fact that you can find the same info from any large body of text).

Kind-a 'spooky' if you just take a cursory look at it though!

• Lassie
    Lassie

Thank you Farkal.

I wasn't actually looking for anyone to 'debunk' the Bible Code book. Just was curious as to opinions.

Question: Do you think God is a Nice God or a Trickster? Me, I think God is Good. I think it is man's twisted thinking and interpretation that has made God to seem cruel (i.e. books like this subject).

Question: Do you think God is playing a game with us? Me, I think not. I think we play our own games with our own reasoning as to what suits us as right. If whatever organization doesn't fit our way of thinking then we jump away for whatever reason and critisize it for what we don't agree with and try to find others to agree with us to make ourselves feel better about it.

Question: Are there simple answers? Yes and no. It is all in what we are willing to do. It may be simple for a less fortunate person to give up material possessions for 'everlasting life' but hard for the same person to give 40 hours a month in field service because they have to work 3 jobs to support a family. It may be difficult for a rich person to give up material possessions for 'everlasting life' because maybe they are dependant on comfort and security, yet, easier for the same person to devote 40 hours a month in field service because they make enough money and have the time to do so. The answer lies in what we are individually doing to serve our God, however we view Him. No man can judge. If we have LOVE for our fellow man (women, child and animal), COMPASSION and FORGIVENESS for ourselves and others, if we aren't committing any grave sin, why should we have to wonder? To serve God with our "Whole hearts, our whole soul... whatever that means to you, if we think that we are doing that....why wonder? The answer is simple: Love.

I don't know if there is a CODE in the Bible. I don't believe there is. It was a point of argument for me and my S.O. and I was pleased to see that I wasn't the only person that viewed the book as junk, because I just don't believe that a God of Love, regardless, would trick us and make a CODE that would be "discovered" by some guy that so happened to be investigated by some other guy, who just thought it would be a good idea to write a book about it! Go figure.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Lassie, you got the simple answer, stay with it!

Guest 77

• rebel
    rebel

I agree with Farkel here.

As I have said quite a few times on this board - why is the Bible so hard to understand? Why would a God who loves us, give us a 'letter', telling us how we can be happy and be saved, yet obscure it in riddles. I mean, take a look at Ezekiel, Daniel, Revelation etc - what are they talking about? Everyone has their own interpretation.

Lassie - you say you don't think a God of love would trick us with a code - but hasn't he done that already? If I wanted my children to know everything about me, who I am, why I think the way I do, what I expect of them - I would tell them CLEARLY - I wouldn't give them a heap of puzzles, riddles and gobbledy-gook and expect each of them to work it out because I know they would each come to their own, different conclusions. This is exactly what happens with the Bible. I would love to believe it - I always used to, but lately I am having so many doubts. Initially my doubts were just about the so-called 'Truth' - now I am even doubting the Bible - mainly because I can't understand most of it.

And I certainly don't think spending 40 hours a month on field service would matter to a God of love one little bit. What's the point of it? You influence people much more by your actions and conduct - by being loving, approachable, forgiving and kind - not by annoying the hell out of your neighbours by constantly plying them with magazines.

Just my thoughts

xxR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit