The Bible Code

by Lassie 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Lassie
    Lassie

Just curious. Maybe this topic has been addressed before, but has anyone here read the book, The Bible Code by Michael Drosnin? If so, what do you think?

I am reading it right now...

Comments?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You can take any random sequence of letters that has a proper proportion of constants and vowels as normal writing and get the same results.

There is nothing to it.

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

I read it...I would be convinced if they could tell you what was going to happen before it happened.

• Happy
    Happy

I haven't read the book but I've read reviews and commentaries on it, watched 2 specials about it on TV, and from what I've seen, it appears to be a load of bunk. I thought it was quite interesting initially, until I found out that they reprodouced similiar results with a copy of the novel "Moby Dick"

While it's an interesting subject, I don't think it has any true signifcance.

A good site on the subject is http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/theism/christianity/codes.shtml

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Just curious. Maybe this topic has been addressed before, but has anyone here read the book, The Bible Code by Michael Drosnin?

Yes, it has been discussed here and thoroughly trashed here. It's all bullshit.

The problem with "True Believers(tm)" is that they have no problem dealing with a "God" who gives them a Book(tm) that is nearly impossible to understand for most folks. They have no problem with the notion that "God" who gave us ALL a book that tells us what to do in our lives made that same book so hard to understand that we need "de-coders" to figure it out and pukes like the Watchtower Corporation to tell us it doesn't really mean what it says!

You can't shine shit. That's about all there is to say about it. Either the Bible stands on what it ACTUALLY says, or it doesn't. Trying to make it say what it didn't say is a sign of a "True Believer" who will LIE about what the Bible actually says. Then that same True Believer(tm) will KILL you or destroy your life because you refuse to believe the lies he said about what the Bible didn't say, but he thought it said what he wanted it to say.

Farkel

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed

Funny - I used Drosnins technique with Cat in the Hat, and was told the world was to turn into a giant block of Emmenthal Cheese by 1992. So inaccurate. Makes me sick.

• Lassie
    Lassie

Thank you for the comments and the link.

The reason I brought the subject up is because I and my S.O. (Significant Other) are constantly arguing on topics of Bible prophesy and interpretation. I for one take things written in the Bible as instruction, prophesy and warning. I Believe that God is a loving and kind God and that He pretty much spelled everything out in the Scriptures by using His disciples here on earth to convey that in written form...end of story. AND that things WILL and are being revealed to us as the time is right for them to be revealed. Then along comes this guy with his CODE, he writes a book (of which he makes a few $$$). People like my S.O. Buy it an read it. I read it only because I want to have something to argue about (but mind you I didn't buy the book....). After reading it (or some of it...because honestly, it sort of doesn't make sense completely, plus the fact that I like to read before going to bed and I would have bad dreams after falling asleep after reading it) I try to put myself into the shoes of a person that would TOTALLY believe this interpretation and think to myself..."WHY?" Why am I even doing what I am doing? Why do I even try? Because if no one ever read this CODE and it was never discovered AND IF (key word...IF) it were true...that GOD has a CODE in the Scriptures, then basically what it is saying is that ALL is pre-destined? That no matter what, all the CODED stuff that nobody discovered is going to come to pass and that we are all some part of a cruel joke? GOD created this earth....Jesus died for our sins.....only to have the earth destroyed by atomic destruction?

My argument with my S.O. was (just to get something started) was, "so, what you are saying is there's this guy who put the whole Hebrew scriptures into a computer, EVERY WORD END TO END with no spaces and so forth....? AND then to make some "mathematical word find" program with it? AND along comes some "journalist" that is AMAZED? (Hey, dude, you need to write a book....you could be on to something.(wink, wink)...like maybe you and me could make a few bucks, because I know there are people out there that will "buy" this)? His response (my S.O): Yeah.
    But please understand this (the response) is coming from my S.O. that believes "Once Saved Always Saved". Which makes me question him as to WHY would he even be interested in what is going to happen....CODE or no CODE? Me thinks he doubts his salvation....maybe?

I apologize if I am out of line here, I just wanted to see if anyone else read it. Go figure.

• Sargon
  • Sargon
    Sargon

OOOOPS!!!

Did you know that if you read Plato's Symposium, backwards in the original greek, it says "turn me on deadman"

• Lassie
    Lassie

Thanks for all the replies....Sorry for bringing up a "dead"subject. But since I am new here, I was just wondering if anyone had read this book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit