Some Advice Please

by QCA1 10 Replies latest jw friends

• QCA1
    QCA1

Hi to everyone

The other day i was on the computer and i moved some files on jws into Documents as i was in a hurry,didn't think anymore of it.

My grandsons came over who are jws and joined my son on the computer,my son went into documents and my grandsons saw the files and asked him why i had them, of course my son didn't know quite what to say and he didn't tell me until after they had gone home. I am worried that they may tell their Mum and Dad what they saw. If my son asks me why i have these files what should i say because i need to be careful.My family is everything to me especially my grandchildren.

qca1

• jgnat
    jgnat

What do you want to do about it? Are you looking for a believable lie that will keep the hounds from your door?

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

If your family is so important to you and your son is also then honesty is the only way to go. A simple "Those files are personal and are of only concern to me at this point. If I find anything in the information I am reading that I feel you should know about I will gladly share them with you at that point". Someone here I am sure can share with you how to keep certain files password protected- essential if you are sharing your computor...

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Did they sit and analize the files so as to establish them as apostate?

If not, just tell them that, though you cant see your way clear to attend meetings any more, that doesnt mean your not still interested in reading about the truth.And tell them no more than that. Thats what Id do.

And Id put a lock on my computer as well. Whats in there is noones business but mine.

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

Were the files obviously critical of the WTBTS? (Ex. JWs Are Bad.doc, Pied Elder.jpg) If not, it is possible that they didn't see anything suspicious.

• wednesday
    wednesday

This is why i clear my cache, clear history trail before sign off, and go to start and clear documents. U could also put a password on your computer, but that is a lot of trouble.Anyone can use the favorties feature on the browsers and see what u have bookmarked. so it is hard to hide that. What i have done though, is go back and RENAME THE SITE , such as i have this site bookmarked as Discussion, so the casual onlookers would not even wonder about this site. My son keeps my computer running, so i don't worry too much,he isnt' a jw. But he was raised one and i am not ready to get into it with anyone.

So unless your son, grandsons, really checked into the files , chances are they did not see much.I would not expect the worse and don;'t get defensive. Just b/c a site says jw does not mean it is apostate.anyway , how did u know??

Edited by - wednesday on 26 December 2002 17:34:52

• caligirl
    caligirl

I have a newer computer with windows XP, and it allows separate users to be set up with different profiles. Not sure of those capabilities on older machines. So for instance, when my stepson is here, he has his own profile and can use the internet, but Explorer will not show what I looked at logged in under my profile in explorer, and he cannot access my documents. If there will be others frequently be others using your computer that you do not want to know about your research, it might be worth the trouble to password a few areas for your own peace of mind.

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

I find this very sad and almost frightening. It brings back the scared feelings I had when I started falling away. Even after I finally walked away, I feared them, dreaded their suits coming to my door, dreaded seeing them on the streets.

I would just lovingly tell whoever confronts you (if it does comes up) that you love learning about truth and you do a lot of reading. Not knowing what your files were or your grandchildren or if your family is the kind that would overlook this horrendous sin, I can't really tell you what to say, but I would keep it very light and try not to act too guilty. Or, you could just lie and say, "Gee, I don't know who saved those awful files! So many people have used my computer lately...maybe it was the demons!"

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I would be semi honest. No need to lie, but no need to go into great detail just yet. Just say you were doing some personal research and ran across somethings interesting and wanted to be able to read them later. You could also say you forgot you had them, if you feel like it. If confronted, just say you wanted to see what was being said to formulate a defense, if the need arise. Who knows, maybe your son also has questions that he would like answers to, only time will tell.

Lew W

• QCA1
    QCA1

Hi all

Thanks for your advice. Some of you don't know but i am not and never have been a witness,my Son and family are, i share the computer with my younger Son and just forgot about moving the files.

I think Dakota i will be semi honest as you have said if it comes up and then i'll change the subject.

Thanks for the advice i appreciate it.

qca1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit