Am I the only one who really didn't enjoy x-mas?

by willdabeerman 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i dont know whether you lot have experienced this, but although i dont celebrate it, Xmas has been a little wierd. this year it just hasnt been in yer face like normal. i went out on the town Xmas eve, and there was no atmos at all....it was just like any other night out. are people giving up on the 'falseness' (as a non-religous friend of mine calls it) of it all and just use the time to spend with friends and family?

anyone else noticed this?

• heathen
    heathen

I'm over here praising high heaven the whole bit is over with ,I've never felt happier . wahooooo (doing the break dance now) .lol

• BeelzeDub
    BeelzeDub

This was my first year to celibrate. To the limited extent that I was involved, buy a few gifts I thought it was over rated. This was the first year my kids celibrated and they said the same thing... a big long build up to about a hour of actualy celebrating. I really tried to get into it as much as I could and I am just glad I didn't have to set up a tree and string lights.

I still like the idea of giving gifts all year round.

• Flip
    Flip

I had a great time!

A bunch of us went to see the Twin Towers. Brought baked goods to work for all my co-workers to eat throughout the week. Visited friends and delivered simple presents and baked goods. We played a strategic game of Uno with my niece, home from University and sister in law while quaffing egg-nogs.

On Christmas eve played hockey in the basement with my 4 year old nephew using a plastic water bottle for a puck. After many boarding penalties and some brilliant goal scoring, he ended up being the winner of the Stanley Cup. Before stepping out the door with his Mom and Dad and go home to bed, he broke out in a personal rendition of the song, "We wish you a Merry Christmas" and after much clapping and cheering off he went wearing the biggest smile you ever saw.

Christmas day, arising to falling snow and freshly perked coffee we began to open a few presents after which we dressed in my new zip up sweater and warm clothes and took our little JR for a walk along the river and into town. We had the decorated and fully lighted mainstreet to ourselves hardly a vehicle or sole around, where the day before business was booming. Made it home to relax before going out in the late afternoon to what just happened to be the best free range turkey dinners ever.

Much different from my life growing up as a front for a WTBTS religious tax exemption.

Just as a heads up, I recieved a Philips Sonicare toothbrush, and what a nice piece of engineering, man does that thing rock! I highly recommend it.

Edited by - Flip on 26 December 2002 16:2:39

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

My holiday was perfect. I'd still like to hear what others may have done that have absolutely no friends/family around. It can be a depressing time of year for many, but many have also learned how to go out and get involved with the community. Hell, when you consider what the odds must be for most folks on these type forums you soon realize that those warm fuzzy occassions with family and friends are probably rare.

And for those of us who were able to celebrate with loved one's...it's about enjoying the moment because this too shall pass. My old friends...their 19 year old daughter died earlier this year but I'd bet ya they still enjoyed the moment with a son that was paralized from the neck down due to a car accident this same year. Or enjoying and being thankful that the oldest son is home safe from the military. So, what is Christmas? Make it what you desire...if you chose to celebrate at all. I can understand why some people just don't do it...choices. Something we never had as a JW.

Christmas is no more a time to get stressed and freak out over every little thing then any other time of year. Doesn't a lot of that stuff depend upon our thinking? Well, I do. And if it is always the same from year to year we have choices about how we would live our life. I don't have to get stressed over holiday spending because if/when it's not there to spend because paying bills are more important...so be it. I don't live my life by other's expectations.

Truthfully though, for the really sincere Scrooges out there, just like the story goes....as long as there is breath in your body, you can chose things differently today.

MERRY HAPPY HO HO HOLIDAY.....AND EVERY DAY.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

I enjoyed so much this year. This year was my first proper(?) Christmas. We had a tree decorated and lots of gifts. I cooked ham with cloves and peach glaze and made apple cinnamon creme brulee. How fun it was using a blow torch!

I was so happy to spend time with my brothers and my husband. We laughed, had a great meal and watched a movie. I mostly missed holidays when I was a jw. Now I'm so happy to get them back.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I agree with Robdar (I often agree with Robdar!)

If you don't go crazy with the gift-buying, and only buy according to your budget, it is a fun experience. I love buying gifts for people, especially when I know it's something they particularly want. I hunted high and low to find the CD that I knew my flatmate wanted, and it was worth every step just to see his surprise and pleasure at recieving that CD.

This was my first Christmas, and when I get the photos developed I will make a post about it. But I really enjoyed being able to celebrate it, and sharing in the joy and happiness that Christmas brings.

Flip:

Before stepping out the door with his Mom and Dad and go home to bed, he broke out in a personal rendition of the song, "We wish you a Merry Christmas" and after much clapping and cheering off he went wearing the biggest smile you ever saw.

That is just too cute!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Those pics should be interesting!

As has been pointed out, but needs to be emphasised, Christmas is not just the glitz and sparkle. The gifts that are exchanged demonstrate our remembering those who are dear to us or have been valuable in our lives during the preceding years. They are a reflection of the gift that God himself gave. Hence our own joy in giving gifts.

Cheers, Ozzie

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

This was the first christmas since I quit going to meetings that I have celebrated. It was marred by the fact that I did not have the monitary means to buyt things for my friends but I was very pleased with how I was recieved by them all. As a matter of fact, my best friend (non dub) asked me to come over and have christmas dinner with them.

I actually enjoyed myself this year!

• mouthy
    mouthy

I always spend it alone. ( MY choice) but this year my Granddaughters 16 yr old ( whos Mum died 3 yrs ago)came to visit for a couple of hours with their cousin who is visiting from England- then while they were here my Grandson ( 31 yrs old) came to visit for the rest of the day he is very depressed ( he was raised JW is now atheist-divorced with 3 kids joint custody)Then while he was here a very lovely christian girl came to visit (21 yr old)touchy moment -when she started to speak about what the reason for the season was my grandson disappeared into the bedroom( to play on the comp) cant stand to be around any mention of GOD,Bible,Jesus( thats what the WT does to folks ( some) after they leave - then when all left I sat with my gift from GRANNY LINDA & watch the lovely candles burn... Hopped into my Lily of the valley bath salts & relaxed....Thanks Linda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit