Movies/Books for Cult Survivors

by Brighid 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• Brighid
    Brighid

For me, there have always been special movies or scenes in movies that trigger my old JW experience (Fiddler on the Roof and Little Mermaid touched me deeply when I watched them as a young JW). Later as a survivor, it was more Donnie Darko, THX 1138 themes that struck me in particular.

Anyway, looking for suggestions on great movies, books (art of any kind, really) that especially speak to or move you as a JW survivor? There are reasons beyond purely entertainment that I ask.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    <<<<<
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Worlds Apart. It's a Danish film and one of the videos has English subtitles. I previously watched the full free subtitled version but now I can't seem to find it. There is a link for those who live in Australia but I don't know if it's the subtitled version or free.

Here is their description:

"Based on a true story, a young girl is torn between her conscience, religion and passion when she is forced to make a choice between her faith and her feelings for a man who does not belong to her family's church, the Jehovah's Witnesses. Nominated for three Bodil Awards in 2009, including Best Film. Directed by Niels Arden Oplev and stars Rosalinde Mynster, Pilou Asbæk and Jens Jørn Spottag."

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The Truman Show

Bride Flight

The Stoning of Soraya M

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    "The Giver"
  • talesin
    talesin

Oh, Donny Darko, yeah! Maybe The Fisher King or Powder, which I found to be along the same lines. xx

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Anthem by Ayn Rand

Nineteen Eighty-four, by George Orwell

• gone for good
    gone for good

The Giver

Yes, it realistically portrayed the way elders steer others through the cognitive dissonance left from their youthful idealism to acomodate the dire realizations that a cult is a manipulating, dishonest, dangerous trap.

• fiddler
    fiddler
    Disney's Tangled. Fear everything on the outside as evil and trust only Mother!
  • Sabin
    Sabin
    Avatar, The scene when their in the helichoppter blowing everything up & she says "I didn't sign up for this shit"!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit