The GANGS OF NEW YORK

by plmkrzy 34 Replies latest social entertainment

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I need to get away from here before I get carried away, as usual. I just wanted to post about "The Gangs Of New York"

W O W

I'm almost speechless. I really enjoyed the movie more then I've enjoyed a movie in a long time.

Martin out did himself. Incredible movie. The opening was awesome and the ending was just as awesome. It was like taking a trip back in time and seeing life during the turn of the century in a way no one has "dared" to really show it before. There is no plot or happily ever after. It is simply a step back in time. Warning This ain't no "Little House on the Prairie" So if you are easily offended by excessive .... stuff , you might not like it. I don't care for real violent movies myself but I have to give exception to this one because, well it was necessary in order to bring it to life the way things were in many places and for many people during that time. It was a very violent period of time and every man for himself, and woman. And child. I will be seeing this one again.

There is a scene that Im sure all the non-god people would appreciate. I wont give it away but I will say you will all know it when you see it. LOL And it has something to do with praying. And its near the end of the movie.

I hear the pitter patter of little oscar feet. So many great performance's, great casting. Photography. Costumes. EVERYTHING!

night all! and Merry X- Mas !!

• Gopher
    Gopher

I haven't seen the movie, but I read the advance review in TIME magazine.

It seems like director Martin Scorsese is putting the "exclamation mark" on an outstanding run of movies he has overseen.

And Leonardo DiCaprio ("Titanic") finally comes out of hibernation with two BIG x-mas movies this year, including this one. No less an authority than Tom Hanks (on one of the American late-night talk shows) called DiCaprio (with whom he co-stars in "Catch Me If You Can") "the actor of his generation". Certainly with the range of roles DiCaprio has tackled, and the force of authority of his characterizations, it is hard to disagree with Hanks.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Gopher, doesn't "Catch Me If You Can" open this week? Friday? That looks like a good one as well. Finally it looks like we will have a pretty good run on good movies for a change. There are several I'd like to see but I'll have to wait on at least half of them to go to dvd. The price of a movie ticket these days is a trip to a theme park almost. If you have popcorn.

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

Catch me if you can....opens today!

I have been waiting for it, and I am there!

Will let you all know what I thought of it after I have seen it..But I might have to do a double and see Gangs,

hmmmmmmmmm been in love with Leo since the Titanic, is he of age yet??????

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

He is in THIS movie!

• Gizmo
    Gizmo
  • Gopher
    Gopher

Yeah it's Christmastime, which means it's one of the best times for new movies all year !! They know they can pack a lot of people into the theaters over vacation time, so they save some of their best efforts for this time of year....

Looking forward to seeing "Catch Me if You Can" -- sounds like a hoot!

• breeze
    breeze

It was about the New York Five Points area during the Civil War timeperiod...

1/2...Four 1/2 stars out of five.....very good as plmkrzyn described it is good, bloody and well done....very long run time.....

Daniel Day Lewis "The Butcher", may get the big Oscar for this ONE....

Yahoo review....

Set in New York City, 1840-1863, a young man named Amsterdam (Leonardo DiCaprio) seeks vengeance against Bill "The Butcher" Poole (Daniel Day-Lewis), the man who killed his father. Though he secures the help of pickpocket Jenny Everdeane, the task at hand may be more dangerous than Amsterdam ever imagined when he realizes that his father was murdered as a result of gang warfare between the powerful Manhattan gangs. Amid the crooked cops and corrupt politicians of the Tammany Hall era, political enforcer Bill Poole stands out as only one scoundrel in the crime-plagued Five Points section of lower Manhattan in the early 1860s

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Marty told me that his next major project is called "The Gangs of JW Com". Apparently Jessica Lange is being chased to play the role of Plumcrazy in a move that will resurrect her career and Orson Welles has already been cast as "Simon" ,the mysterious board "overlord".

• waiting
    waiting

Read a book called "The Angel of Darkness" (by same guy who wrote "The Alienist").

Set around turn of century in major northern city - actually about psychologist (alienists) at that time - and serial killers. Interestingly, in the book, much of it had to do with the gangs. The kids, adults, thieves, drugs, drunks, prostitutes & survival of the fittest. Really very interesting.

Going to see "Gangs of New York" this weekend - primarily because I thought the book about same was so good.

waiting

ps: remember very young DiCaprio in his role as retarded brother in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" I thought he was great - figured I'd see him again. Figured right, eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit