We're All Going To Die

by Garrett 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    As promised: from Richard Dawkins’s book Unweaving the Rainbow:

We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

^^^^ Dawkins has a captivating way of writing ^^^

Brilliant!

• Perry
    Perry
    I wasted 50 years in the filthy, disgusting WBT$ cult. I need to catch up on life but it seems hopeless now. Death is the final end in my view. Oblivion. No heaven and no hell.
    Sometimes I want death to come and sometimes not. My life isn't as I want it. Some folks say that I need to take control and make things happen......oh, get real.....where am I going to get that amount of money from? Idiots.

You are on the right track with this thinking Punk. Surrender and become victorious.

• never a jw
    never a jw
    I am with you Garret. Contribute to the lives of others. Leave a legacy and you will never die, or at least exist for as long there is a human soul. We are part of this grand project. Some contribute, some detract. So far humanity has become better, therefore I want to believe that the project is moving in the right direction. All I want to know when I die is that I helped humanity move forward to some unknown grand future.
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

I think when one is witness to the effects of old age, and it's many ailments, the realisation that one is going to dies, can become one of " please death before senseless suffering".

HEALTH IS WEALTH ! Make the most of it, if and while you have it. APPRECIATE it daily, it gives a good perspective.

THE REBEL?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    You are on the right track with this thinking Punk. Surrender and become victorious.

Perry, I know you mean well. But you have to be careful when you are preaching. Just like your Bible can be made to say anything at all, your words can be taken more than one way. It's a dangerous thing.

In case you didn't notice, your words would most commonly be understood to say that Punk should commit suicide and then he would be victorious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit