Best argument against a Jehovah's Witness?

by Happy 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Happy
    Happy

Rebel,

That is an excellent idea. I never really thought about it. I can't remember offhand which verse that parable is in though. Anyone know where it is?

• blondie
    blondie

Luke 15:11-31

The Parable of the Lost Son 11 Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.
    13 "Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.
    17 "When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' 20 So he got up and went to his father.
    "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
    21 "The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. [2] '
    22 "But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.
    25 "Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.'
    28 "The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!'
    31 " 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.

• Happy
    Happy

Why thank you Blondie. I appreciate your help. But how on earth did you find and type those verses so quickly?

I have a question for everyone. Anytime I accidently slip and say to a JW "You know how you're not allowed to......" they always jumo down my throat with "it's not that I'm not allowed, I just don't want to." Has anybody else noticed that many JW's seem to think they are allowed to do certain things, but they know that they're really not?

• Happy
    Happy

I just wanted to add that I was just over at the www.purelanguage.net/forum forums and they are absoloutely hilarious. Here's a few apostate-related comments i though you guys might find somewhat humorous.

We are truly privileged to be living at a time when the light of truth is shining ever so bright. The days of the apostasy are over. While we might have to continue to be on guard against apostates we will never have to face again a full-scale apostasy. Still, let us never ever have anyone pull the wool over our eyes

I would say the light is probably shining brighter now, but all the light's doing is reaching down into the dark corners of the WTBTS and revealing its lies, and i doubt the "days of apostasy" will be over soon.

B is for beware of apostates.

The forum moderator posted this. I thinks it's rather juvenile and funny.

Dateline was preempted last night! ha ha ha and a double ha ha! I read that the Society is sending a letter to each congregation to prepare us for this apostasy. Hmmm Jehovah does work in strange ways... I learned that from the Isaiah book. In my opinion, this person who is trying to put Jehovah's witnesses in a bad light because we follow the bible's admonition to disfellowship is only highlighting the point that the Catholic Church should have excommunicated those priests practicing immorality.

The funniest thing about this is they don't realize how stupid they sound.

What a daily text to follow on the day after the airing of the Dateline program about Jehovah's witnesses and the organization. My understanding is that the apostates were on a letter writing campaign asking "Dateline" to air the program. (*my note*: of course they would never accept that it could be someone who had no religious affiliation, but it HAD to be the evil apostates. sheesh.)
    When I read the text for today, I was astounded. Who only could have known ahead of time that Jehovah's people would have needed some special encouragement on this very day. After all the Daily Text and comments were put together over a year ago.
    The comments for the Daily Text are right on the mark.

No doubt about it, Jehovah is blessing his organization. We are being offered protection and security in a world that has none.
    This one takes the cake. Obviously, the daily texts were reprinted when the boys in brooklyn found out about the dateline special. If only these poor souls could see how they were being lied to.
  • Nickey
    Nickey

Whew, that is so scary how I use to believe all that. BRAINWASHED.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I knew a sis who read the texts and used them as sort of a hororscope. Seriously, she would read them and think they had some real application to her personal day-also knew an elder who believed that he was getting messages form jehovah from the awake-telling him it do certain things.

ever hear jimmy buffets cd "fruitcakes" give it a listen.

• Happy
    Happy
    I knew a sis who read the texts and used them as sort of a hororscope. Seriously, she would read them and think they had some real application to her personal day-also knew an elder who believed that he was getting messages form jehovah from the awake-telling him it do certain things.

ever hear jimmy buffets cd "fruitcakes" give it a listen.

That's so hilarious its almost sad, wednesday.

Nickey,

Just be thankful you're not one of them anymore. If you don't mind me asking, how and why did you decide to leave?

• Realist
    Realist

Farkel,

wouldn't they anser it was satan who invented the sword to fight against the good angles?

• wednesday
    wednesday

Edited by - wednesday on 25 December 2002 19:34:36

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    >>Everyone says that the WTBTS is making a lot of money, and I know they're a billion dollar (b)org. but I don't understand where they get all this money, aside from donations. Don't they give out the mags. free? Anyone wanna explain?<<

Property. The whole religion is just a big property scam. What happens is a little congregation saves for years to afford some of the money for a kingdom hall. They borrow the rest from the WTS at a reasonable rate of interest. (Of course, it's their own donated money they're borrowing anyway.) They build the hall themselves - with the help of other congregations - and then donate the hall to the WTS and spend the next 20 years paying back the loan, as well as the normal donations "to the worldwide work". The WTS gets lots of money in and lots of free property, but doesn't have to spend much at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit