Je Suis Charlie

by Slidin Fast 43 Replies latest social current

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

This incident in Paris makes me feel absolutely furious.  Yes i feel desperately sorry for the victims and their families no one should have to deal with that.  

The thing that makes me feel absolutely incandescent though is the attack on freedom of speech and expression. The way in which dubs are restricted from saying what they think on pain of losing friends and family makes that issue the most sensitive on my radar.  I just hope that the courage that this journal has shown is not quenched by this cowardly attack.

• Simon
    Simon

It is sickening but sadly it will likely have an effect. It would be naive to imagine that people wouldn't stop and think, possibly reconsider, before publishing something critical or mocking of islam. If it happens just once then they have achieved their aim. We've already seen reporting of it censored by other news organizations and it's hard to argue that they should put themselves or their staff at any unnecessary risk.

So to compensate for that, I think governments should force the cartoon be hung on every mosque after every act of islamic terrorism. Moderate muslims could do it voluntarily if they genuinely are moderate. That should smoke out the monsters in their midst.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I hope, from the bottom of my heart, that this terrible attack does not cause a loss of Freedom of Speech.

Or at least, any more of a loss than we have already experienced. Most people in the public eye are already wary of saying anything that may offend the representatives of the very weak and ineffectual God of Islam, Allah, who needs men like the murderers who acted today to defend him.

Does Society really value Freedom of Speech ? 

If so it will call out cults like the JW religion, who stamp Freedom of Speech as far into the ground as they can.

My thoughts are with the families and friends of those who were so pointlessly murdered today.

May their heroic stand for freedom be ever respected, and emulated, by all right thinking people.

• Simon
    Simon

Some of the sick but well-known islamists have been calling for criticism of islam to be banned using this incident as reason for it. Unbelievable but of course we know that yes, they can stoop that low.

Expect a wave of nationalism to sweep across Europe if governments don't take some decisive action to confront the fascist faith.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If a single organization vehemently obstructs freedom of speech in a country that has established a universal law protecting that freedom, doesn't that make that organization operatively illegal ?

The Islamic faith has a extraneous amount within its teachings of killing non-believers of their faith, encouraging and influencing violent acts to anyone who presents any opposition to their own belief system.

I think countries have the power to shut down religions that pose a threat to the protection of its inherent citizens who are incompliance to those laws of the land.

• Isle of Lewis
    Isle of Lewis

I have recently realized that all people of faith frighten me.

Sad.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

This event will change Europe. I don't mean a revolution or acute swing, but in the subconscious of many I think today they said "enough."

I don't think this will end well, the rise of the right may just take place.

• Simon
    Simon

Anyone who uses violence and murder to silence the legal expression of others should pay the price by having that expression rammed down their throats - they can choke on it.

They should know that any terrorism will result in the thing they object to being shown even more and desecrating whatever place they find holy. Give everyone who objects to that good reason to expose those who would commit such acts.

Good news: there are reports that they have captured those responsible.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The thing is, though I choke on it, the knife cuts both ways.  Freedom of speech also has to be accorded to all including adherents of Islam.  The line though has to be drawn but where?  Hate speech should be illegal but what constitutes hate speech.  Hate speech and fanning radicalism has to be trodden on hard but how do we clamp down on that but protect the original cartoons without labelling them hateful.

There are huge ethical problems to wrestle with but one thing is certain, there is nothing too extreme in punishing these evil monsters.  

• Simon
    Simon

Hate speech encourages harm against individuals: publishing a list of names and saying they should be killed is hate speech.

A cartoon mocking a religious persona or a deity is not hate speech and never can be. No one is being harmed. No one can be killed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit