Bible is God's word?

by Moxy 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jasnowidz
    jasnowidz

Jehovah's Witnesses Exposed - http://www.bible.ca/jw.htm
    Exposes the history of the organization, the prophecy blunders, deceptive quotive, doctrinal flip flops, and corruption within the Jehovah's Witness organization.

• gumby
    gumby

Ruby T.,

Take a look here for some stuff. http://www.vanallens.com/exchristian/ ( scroll down to "the bible, jesus, and church)

The book.."The Jesus Mysteries" is excellent in explaing the formation of the bible and many facts about 'jesus'.

Moxy....nice to see some more with the nards to.... "look into it"

Edited by - Gumby on 23 December 2002 16:44:22

• crownboy
    crownboy

RubyTuesday,

Check out this link for some useful information:

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/theism/christianity/index.shtml

• rebel
    rebel

Can I just ask those that don't believe the Bible to be God's word, do you believe in God? If so, do you think he would have tried to communicate with us? I have been looking into an awful lot of stuff lately, most of it things I used to take for granted. I am unhappy with some parts of the Bible, for instance, we shouldn't kill, yet God slaughtered people???? Why would he contradict himself? Also, you should have only one wife or husband, yet loads of bods had more than one - Solomon and David had hundreds, incest is wrong (Lot??) etc. However, I do feel there is something about the Bible that is special, maybe because that's the way I have been taught since childhood. Does anyone think that God has communicated with us through a means other than the Bible? I often think of those that died for translating it or just for having a copy in their possession - that makes me think it must be a special book in some way - maybe I'm wrong. I know someone mentioned on this forum that a lot of what I do is to make myself feel comfortable because I do things that I am familiar with and that make me feel safe - it could be that way with my belief in the Bible. I am just starting to really study it for the first time in my life but it is very difficult to understand. That bothers me - why did God make it impossible to understand if it is supposed to be a letter from him to us? I'll stop rambling now.

xxR

• seedy3
    seedy3
    Start by asking yourself about the origin's of languages. Only the Bible, God's word tells you how it came about.

Funny how that story of the Tower of Babel is said to be the begining of languages. But if you read earlier there were already diffferent languages throughout the world, PRIOR to the tower story. It says "Each one according to his Tounge" Now I read that as saying that the different tribes had different languages.

Frankly I think the whole flood story is a bunch of BS anyway. You think about it How was there a massive Kindom in Sumer, Egypt and so forth only 4 Generations after the flood. Impossable, it just does not fit the story correctly, the math does not add up. So too the tower story makes no sence, as much of the other stuff in the bible.

rebel asked

Can I just ask those that don't believe the Bible to be God's word, do you believe in God?

I do not beleive in God. On the Question of multiple mates, that is a jeudeo christian rule. Incest was not just Lot. Abraham married his sister, and many others did the simular

Seedy.

• Moxy
    Moxy

hi safe and expat - good to see u guys again.

im dissapointed. i got a lot of responses but only one curious sentence in actual response to my question. and i know that many people reading this believe the bible is gods word. just give me some lines of evidence. i promise not to call anyone a stupid hominem. im really interested.

The book.."The Jesus Mysteries" is excellent in explaing the formation of the bible and many facts about 'jesus'.

i would also recommend 'the jesus puzzle' by earl doherty to anyone who is interested in actually studying the bible. i find the bible to be a wonderful and fascinating book once i remove it from the realm of sacred literature. i have enjoyed so much learning about the ironic book of J, the thoughtful book of Q, the masterful melding of Mark's mythology, the archeological finds in bible lands and what they really say. its like coming out of an office of idiot amateurs and getting a job with some professionals.

so anyone have an answer to my original question?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Hooberus...long time. I notice how Phds are relevent when held by those few who share your religious opinion but merely "worldly wisdom" when your opponents. But lets not derail the topic as we have been charged. Present your best arguement for the inpiration of the Bible. Moxy remember these are people's lives, we have defined our very person with these bible tales. The tact and skill you once used to teach others to believe must be used to educate.This is a very weighty resposibility. Knowledge brings responsibility whether we wish it or not. I hope I don't sound preachy but I know much damage a careless attitude can do.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Here is my story:

Belief is a matter of faith; faith is not a product of the same protocol as, say, understanding of physics.

It is like asking me why I think something is blue; we all see color differently, and I think the same is true in some sense of faith and belief.

My basis for belief, (your mileage may vary) is my own personal belief that the order evident in nature is very unlikely to have come about by itself. It is consistent with all other observed events; they happen by design and execution, not randomly and spontaneously.

I do not understand what this power is, nor do I need to. For me, it is enough to know that it is there, and that I can rely on it. Can you tell that my belief has been most shaped lately by recovery?

I mostly believe in spiritual principles. I have noticed that many here, (many ex jw's?) having had their belief in God shattered because it was attached to a rather vicious construct of men and rules, now totally reject any concept of God and spiritual principles. For me, I know that when I live a life consistent with principles that are laid out in, say, the sermon on the mount, I feel better. And that is enough for me, for now.

• onacruse
    onacruse

I've been thinking a lot about this too, and my opinions are still in a flux. But the following issues are some that I am grappling with (all are imho statements):

1) It is incredible that mankind has been on this earth for only 6,000 years: there is too much scientific evidence, evaluated in the most conservative terms, to the contrary;

2) It is incredible that a worldwide Flood occurred just ~4,000 years ago and there not be today overwhelming geological evidence of such a catastrophic event;

3) It is incredible that the collection of books comprising the Old Testament could be unequivocally considered inspired. Too many "apocryphal" writings of the same genre exist that were not gathered into the collection. And the entire selection "process" is as obscure as the cloudiest night;

4) Ditto for the New Testament, except that the selection "process" is demonstrably obscure, riddled with politics, popular opinion of the writings, and the influence of a few "notable" individuals;

5) It is incredible that a collection of books, now collectively averaging ~2,500 years old, without updates, can be fully relevant to modern society.

That being said, I strongly believe that the tenets and basic message of the Bible ARE inspired...possibly (probably?) along with other "sacred" writings.

This universe is too big to think we are alone, or to presume that we are the pinnacle of conscious existence.

Craig

• gumby
    gumby

Rebel,

I often think of those that died for translating it or just for having a copy in their possession - that makes me think it must be a special book in some way -

Those who died were killed by Christians who didn't like heritics or any others who went beyond the "church". I would recommend rebel, you do a study of the early church. Christianity had a vicious personality from the begining. First they stole beliefs from the Pagans....then they squashed them.

Don't let the word Pagan scare you off either.....(they were non christian) These people believed in God/s are left interpretation open to all....no heirarchy to TELL them what must be believed. The Christians wanted to deify jesus.

Rebel: ........ there is not ONE writer other than CHRISTIAN writers that wrote about Jesus....other than Josephus who mentioned little about him and his writing is believed to be forged as it does't rhyme with the writing style he had. Why? With the many who wrote back then wouldn't you think someone would have written about a man who turned water to wine, walked on water, raised the dead, healed the terminally ill???? None!

Moxy:

Just yesterday I asked my friend what makes him think the bible is God's word. His anwers were archeological finding's that rhyme with the bible.....and God's "spirit" leading him and convincing him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit