Bible is God's word?

by Moxy 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Moxy
    Moxy

Id like to hear some *reasoned* explanations for why you believe the Bible is Gods Word. Ive been so fascinated by the study of *real* biblical scholarship since I began educating myself, i now find it incredulous that i used to take the bible as divine, along with all JWs and tons of christians, including a good number here. so id like to entertain your very best lines of evidence that this is the real deal.

mox

• spectromize
    spectromize

Start by asking yourself about the origin's of languages. Only the Bible, God's word tells you how it came about.

P.S. The Bible is without a doubt God's word only fools try to discredit it.

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

(((((Moxy))))))!!! I've missed you! How are you, how's life?

As for *reasoned* explanations of the bible's divinity...well, here's a good example don't you think?

'nuff said *rolling eyes*

Dana

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Start by asking yourself about the origin's of languages. Only the Bible, God's word tells you how it came about.

Why isn't that story the root of every mythology throughout the world? If people were scattered and nations began at the tower of babel, then why doesn't every tribe and language group have some version of the same myth?

The bible account, of course, tells us nothing about how language came about. It's a "just so story" like most of Genesis. How did this happen? God did it, of course. (Usually when he was angry)

Oh well, when you put it like that, you must be right. I'd hate to be thought a fool by someone like you.

P.S. The Bible isn't God's Word. It's a collection of books that have been declared to be God's word for so long that some people refuse to question it. The ones who do question it are not the fools.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    How did this happen? God did it, of course. (Usually when he was angry)

Yes, why exactly is it that God only gets off his behind to do stuff when he's angry? Perhaps He needs some anger management classes ( and some "let's do a few things when we're feeling happy" classes).

Expatbrit

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

Interesting that you bring this up...this has been wieghing on my mind.

I have recently been questioning the validity of the Bible....the dates don't match up.

I just resently have figured this out.....Funky....took me long enough.

P.S. The Bible isn't God's Word. It's a collection of books that have been declared to be God's word for so long that some people refuse to question it. The ones who do question it are not the fools.

I believe we are (most of us) brainwashed from day one to just accept that the bible is the true word.The more I study History the more I realise the dates are not right.

Moxy.and Funky...Interested in what you have learned and maybe you can steer me toward some good resources.

Edited by - rubytuesday on 23 December 2002 12:31:20

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I have recently been questioning the validity of the Bible. I believe the message is great...but i have doubts about who the original messengers are ....the dates don't match up.

A lot of the message isn't that great. It's history is demonstrably false, it's morality is abhorrent, it's advice is questionable and often contradictory, and what useful advice it does have is nothing original. It has some merit as a collection of myths and platitudes, but not as a manual on how to live.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

spectromize, I hope your still around. I'm guessing you have read the works of Baptist creationist Henry Morris who has insisted the same as you, that only the Bible tells us where the different languages come from.(He also believes the earth is only 10,000 yrs old and the "appearance of great age"given the earth at creation was to test our faith.) Actually linguists have been studying the subject for well over a hundred years and have some good answers. Language involves transmission and variation the two key factors for evolution. Language varients are readily evident by just traveling a few hundred miles or back in time a few hundred years. English for example:Our Father who is in heaven...Was ..Our father which art in heauen...was...Oure fadir that art in heuenes...was...Fader ure (letter that looks similar to a p)u (same obsolete letter)e ert on heofene...This variation was in just 750 yrs. Linguists use methods similar to biologists and distinguish patterns of relatedness creating a "family tree" of languages. Their independent findings reasonably parallel the conclusions of paleotologists. Humans originated in Africa and spread from there 100,000 yr ago in stages across the world, southeast Asia and Australia 60,000 y.a,Asia and Europe 40,000 y.a.,subsequently North East Asia and Amerias in multiple migrations. Once again the necessity of "divine intervention" evaporates as we learn more about history and science.

Edited by - peacefulpete on 23 December 2002 13:49:31

• hooberus
    hooberus

pete said:

"Henry Morris who has insisted the same as you, that only the Bible tells us where the different languages come from.(He also believes the earth is only 10,000 yrs old and the "appearance of great age"given the earth at creation was to test our faith.)"

Henry Morris has a Ph. D. in Hydrology. His son John Morris has a Ph. D. in geology from Oklahoma State University. John Morris has written a book called "The Young Earth." Anyone who wants a good introduction to creationists geology should get it (Anyone who actually wants to find the evidence for what creationist geologists believe, rather than simply dismissing their beliefs outof hand through the use of ad-hominem attacks.) Morris doesn't believe that God gave an appearance of great age "to test our faith." If you want what Morris actually believes about the so-called "appearance of age" issue go directly to the source.

• Navigator
    Navigator

I wonder why it is that *fundies* condem the worship of idols or graven images and see nothing wrong with worshiping a collection of books.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit