A Picture of the Universe at 300,000 Years Old

by D wiltshire 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

Looking up GUT. Aah, yes - grand unification theory. Interesting. That would leave god all but unemployed. Wonder if he's been keeping up his payments.

SS

Edited by - saintsatan on 24 December 2002 3:5:31

• onacruse
    onacruse

<-----space cadet mode just kicked in...

As I recall, the differentiation in background microwave distribution supports the model of accelerated expansion, at least in the early universe, after a quantum singularity "event." Weinberg and Hawking proposed some of this, I think?

Craig

PS: If so, this would have interesting ramifications about the origin of the universe and the nature of God.

Edited by - onacruse on 24 December 2002 0:23:51

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

On,

The expansion theory seems to be getting more supporters, among physist. They think this happened during the first microsecounds of the universe when one of the four forces of froze out of the original one and caused an expansion that went from the size smaller than a proton to the size of a grape fruit in a very almost unimaginable small amount of time. This they think is responcible for all the structure they see in the Universe.

Because if the Universe started as a Singularity that was just a point, then its expansion should be perfectly homogeneous with no structure, no forming of suns or galaxies.

Anyway this Cobe picture has caused a lot of excitement for Physists. It's no hoax, and will help further man's knowledge of the origin of his universe.

PS: as far as answering the question of does God exist or doesn't exist, science does not at this time have the answer, only opinions

Edited by - D wiltshire on 24 December 2002 12:28:27

Edited by - D wiltshire on 24 December 2002 12:30:30

• rem
    rem

Really cool stuff, D. Thanks for sharing!

rem

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Rem,

I'm glade you found it interesting.

I just came across it about a year ago, even though it has been around since 1992.

• Pronger
    Pronger

Sentinel said:

"how in the world do they ever come up with this stuff? I mean, if this is the universe, then what's on the outside of this elongated "egg"? "

Well Sentinel, why don't you bother reading the text associated with that image before making an ass of yourself?

From the article associated with the image:

"Using Galactic coordinates, the map shows the plane of the Milky Way galaxy horizontally and the center of our galaxy at its center."

• D wiltshire
  • ballistic
    ballistic

I understand that the further you look into space, the further back in time you are looking. What I fail to understand is that this is a picture of our own milky way galaxy which we are currently in (look I'm waving). So how can we look back in time at ourselves?

• TruckerGB
    TruckerGB

Looks like a giant M & M ,seriously though,its fasinating.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Balistic,

I understand that the further you look into space, the further back in time you are looking. What I fail to understand is that this is a picture of our own milky way galaxy which we are currently in (look I'm waving). So how can we look back in time at ourselves?

The milkway is just in the way of our veiw. We are in the MW galaxy so it is impossible at the present to get this picture without some interference from our own galaxy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit