the bible making sense

by jurs 49 Replies latest jw friends

• jurs
    jurs

Before I had started studying with the JW's i had tried to read the bible. It didn't make sense to me. (In all honesty, I didn't try real hard nor did I put forth alot of time into my readings). Then I start studying and WOW now it all makes sense.

I heard the same experience I had, by other brothers and sisters. It was just added "proof" that this was the "truth".

Funny how years later I read these scriptures that didn't make sense, then made sense, then made sense but in a different way.

I think about certain scriptures that JW's use over and over and now some of those scriptures make the org look so bad but I just never saw it. For example , the story of the prodigal son. how he came back after leading a lifestyle that was not approved of by God nor his father and yet was welcomed back with open arms. He didn't have to be shunned for a certain amount of time until a group of men decided it was ok to talk to him. He was shown Love and mercy. This was a powerful eye awakener for me. Never did I see this bible account in this way when I was a JW.

That is just one of many scripures or biblical accounts that I now "understand" but its definately not the same understanding I had as a JW.

I thought only JW's could understand the bible. It was a shock to me that I didn't understand as much as I thought I did.

Have you all felt that same shock of not understanding what you thought you understood perfectly.

jurs

• Farkel
    Farkel

jurs,

Isn't it amazing how we viewed some of the most SIMPLE Bible stories when we were dubs? A good example which I discuss in the link below is Jesus' story of the Good Samaritan. We all believed we were "Good Samaritans" because we sold BOOKS to people! Now that is pretty idiotic, but we all felt that way, didn't we?

A Return to the Basics

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 22 December 2002 23:33:43

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Oops! Bad link Farkel, sounds like it would be good reading. Can you fix the link?

Jurs, have you read CoC by Franz yet? It's a real eyeopener. And the bible doesn't make sense if you are trying to make it prophetic. If you just read it for a read like any other story book there are things you can use and things you can toss. My .02.

Katie

• Happy
    Happy

I think the reason so many people are drawn to believe certain WT teachings that are obviouly ludicous is because their teachings are so very seductive. A group of seemingly extremely happy people with an answer ready for any and every question, who simply want to help you. What could be better? I, as I said in my first post, am not a witness, but i was inches away from starting to attend the meetings at the local kingdom hall. I had gone to a few meetings, read many of the familiar watchtower books like "Reasoning", etc.., WT's and Awakes, and they all continually drilled the same message into my head over and over. I was seriously considering becoming a witness, but ended up going full circle when I started researching the witnesses from an independant viewpoint. It's a good thing I had access to the internet because if I would have started going to the meetings, i wouldn' have had the chance to look into what the JW's were all about, and, well, I think we all know how screwed up my life would probably be at this point, or at least on the road there. You weren't the only one who was fooled. There's a good 6 million still being manipulated and a number of others who have since found their way.

• Lefty
    Lefty

Jurs says:

I think about certain scriptures that JW's use over and over and now some of those scriptures make the org look so bad but I just never saw it. For example , the story of the prodigal son. how he came back after leading a lifestyle that was not approved of by God nor his father and yet was welcomed back with open arms. He didn't have to be shunned for a certain amount of time until a group of men decided it was ok to talk to him. He was shown Love and mercy. This was a powerful eye awakener for me.

Then you need to close your eyes and re-open them again, Blinky Jurs. The prodigal son was shown the love and mercy because he returned to his senses, dummy. He finally saw the folly of his ways, repented and came home, dummy. JW's react the same way towards any who have stumbled into gross sin but afterwards came to their senses. Who do you think you're kidding, Blinky Jurs?

• Happy
    Happy

Lefty,

Do you always have to be so negative? There are much more diplomatic ways of presenting your opinions, without offending others. People come to this board to get away from all the years of haveing other people's beliefs shoved down their throat. Lighten up. People aren't going to listen to you if you're an idiot about how you address them.

• Lefty
    Lefty

Happy,

You can't really understand where I'm coming from unless you've walked in my shoes for the past two years dealing with apostates on boards such as this one. A lot of time I meet fire with fire, if you know what that means.

Yadirf

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

lefty ; you are a little off ! prov. 1 a wise man accepts reproof but a fool is happy in his folly... jw's never accept reproof of the facts that the wt is a false christ... you are only accepted as a jw if you are a fool and lie to people door to door ... and if you get df'ed you have to crawl back and kiss the elders asses and bare more false witness in the name of god in the form pushing mag's that use the name of god to GLORIFY THE GB... JOHN 7:18

• Lefty
    Lefty

Oh tut tut, Jonny Cip, you've obviously been reading this site too long. You should learn to think and speak for yourself, it's obvious that your expressions merely parrot what you've read here.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

The Bible makes a lot more sense after leaving the Watch Tower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit