Anyone followed the Raelians?

Who are they? What do they believe?

I find them fascinating. http://www.rael.org

here:

Edited by - donkey on 22 December 2002 10:37:53

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Donkey,

Pizza toppings fascinate me. Not so, ghosts and UFOs.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

My thoughts on these guys:

• I like their concept of God - advanced, intelligent life that created life here as a project. I dunno...somehow I can buy into that easier than the omniscient, omnipotent supernatural God of the Bible. The idea that life as we know it in this part of the universe started by advanced life forms from another part of the universe doesn't seem like an impossible feat to me at all. There MUST be something out there somewhere. I can't say I believe that's what happened - I'm just open to the idea of it.
    • I'm very wary to believe any concept that involves the following of a man or group of men because they have been "chosen." After reading the whole site, I was amazed at how well thought-out everything was - it's a great story and actually made me think about a few things. Like I can totally understand how ancient humankind would call extraterrestial life "God" or refer to a group of them as "Gods." But it just seems like there would be concrete proof of aliens by now if they really existed. It's really something to think about though - if the government did have concrete proof of aliens, if they released this to the public, there's no telling what the reaction would be. At any rate, until they come take over the world, I have no choice but to think there are none to be concerned about. Seeing is believing, right? I don't see how anyone can proof there are none either. Just because we've never seen them doesn't prove anything.

I find no harm in this concept though - unlike the JW's. It's not a philosophy that's crammed down your throat - there's nothing there saying you'll die if you don't join (if my memory serves correctly)....definitely interesting reading material IMO to stretch your mind out into other concepts.

-back2dafront

• donkey
    donkey

Back2

Thanks for your thoughts.

While I do NOT subscribe to the beliefs of the Raelians the more fascinating question people could look at is: What makes Chrisitanity more credible than the Raelians? From my view the Raelians seem more raelistic...if we examine the probability of who is correct. Further they support modern genetic research and cloning fervently - something which I do too.

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

Just shows that everyone has the right to think what they want. Personally, I think there is life outside of the realm of earth and it is entirely possible that they have visited this planet throughtout our history and maybe even had a impact on some cultures. Take for example the landing strips in South America, built long before flying vehicles. The pictures on the walls of Egyptian temples of creatures flying in disk shaped vehicles. The Assyrian mentioning that man was slaves to a alien race that came here from another planet. When you place all of these together, you have to wonder at least a little bit. Not that I would think they are the source of the God concept. They could have played a role in human development though.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Whyhideit,

You might be interested in reading the following article on the Nazca lines in South America. They were no more built by extraterrestials than the modern day crop circles.

http://www.skepdic.com/nazca.html

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

Kenneson

I have read that before, or something like it. I never swallow the whole UFO idea as complete truth, without looking into information from both sides. I just find it to be interesting conversation. Have you ever looked into the Samaritans? I found that interesting, although I am not going to go worship the thought. I have come to the conclusion in life that everything can be disproved if we look deep enough. I am starting to wonder if I am even really here now.

Want to really mess with your mind? Take some time to check this site out.

http://www.crystalinks.com/

Just read it as something interesting, and not something to believe it. This woman is obviously into seeing everything as possible. I respect that, but it does not mean I am going to see everything as real. One of my favorite thoughts, when thinking about Bible accounts, UFO experiences, Super Natural Events, and such. Is that it all looks good on paper, but unless I was there to see it. It is nothing more then someone else's account, and people do say what they want, to sway people to their beliefs.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I used to love the X Files, but that is about as far as I would take it.

All good fun to theorise, but no reason to believe. I notice you can spend money with this "Non profit making organisation"

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

What I found offensive was a link that leads to an article calling the bombing of Hiroshima a terrorist attack. Of course, this isn't the first time it was called that. Pre-9/11, the Smithonian Institute once placed a plaque calling the bombing of Hiroshima a terrible attack amd called the Japanese people "victims". This offended the war veterans who demanded that it be taken down and it was done.

My father served the U.S. Marines, 1st Division, 16th Battalian from 1943 to 1945. He fought against the Japanese and was wounded just right before the end of the war.

When Pearl Harbor was attacked, it was attacked because the United States and other countries disagreed with the Empire of Japan invading China. The US then called for a blockade of oil shipment to Japan. Delivery of oil was stopped altogether. This made the Empire of Japan angry. They tried to reason with the US and other countries joining us in protest against Japan's war against China and we did not listen. Our demand for Japan to pull out their forces from China remained intact.

This left Japan with a decision to attack the US, specifically Pearl Harbor. This attack was wrong and we retailiated against them.

Japan had a goal for a 1000 year war because they then loved war and they believed war would bring glory and honor to the Empire of Japan.

Because of that attitude, we knew that we had to shake up Japan. The war would have continued on for many many years if we had continued with conventional war. So we needed something BIG and it had to be something that we hoped would end the war very quickly. The US and our Allies had no intention of participating in the 1000 year war and moreso, we had no intention of continuing on the bloodshed of our brothers who stood for freedom and peace.

Hence, the Atom bomb was built and we dropped it. Of course, the first one didn't change their minds, so we dropped another one, at Nagasaki. They finally surrendered. If we hadn't done what we did, hundreds of thousands more of our US forces and our Allies would have died as a result of the conventional war.

Now today, they called us terrorist because we dropped 2 atomic bombs that killed over 300,000 Japanese people. They forgot about what they did to us in December 7th, 1941. How very sad.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Thank you for the link, Whyhideit. I checked out the articles on Ancient Astronauts and UFOs. Of course, http://skepdic.com/vondanik.html has a response to that as well.

Of interest, however, is the info on Ancient Mysteries. Since I live in Florida, I checked out the articles pertaining to here. Fascinating stuff. I intend to read about other areas as well, plus the articles on World Mysteries. Once I'm through with that I may explore other areas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit