Who believes in Ghosts?

by El Kabong 50 Replies latest jw friends

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I watched a movie on TV the other night called "The Others" with Nicole Kidman. It got me thinking about Ghosts. Of course, my JW thinking automatically kicks in and tells me that its.........come on, you all know the answer.......DEMONS.

But, trying to keep an open mind, I've done a little research on the web and found many sites on Ghost photography, where orbs and other paranormal activity is captured on film. (Here's an example of what I found. http://www.ghostweb.com/free.html )

We have been taught that "the dead are concious of nothing at all". But, do we "live" on after our bodies die? Does anyone else believe that these orbs or apparitions are real? Just curious.

• rebel
    rebel

I also saw 'The Others' not so long ago - it is a very good film - great atmosphere.

This is something I often wonder about. The Bible does teach that the dead are conscious of nothing and Jesus likened death to a sleep. However, there must be some people who do see things because they can't all be mad or liars. I know that we are taught as JWs that these are demons impersonating our dead loved ones, but I am not too sure about that. There isn't any real evidence for that reasoning - they just use an example from the OT where Saul consulted the Witch of En Dor and she supposedly conjured up Samuel (I think this is correct??) This isn't really a good enough reason in my mind. But then I think, if it is possible to die and then contact the living, why don't more people do this when they die. If I died, I would still want to keep in contact with my loved ones, just to let them know I was ok. It is such a difficult subject and I don't know if it is possible to find the answers. When my daughter died, I would often wonder where she was (even as a JW) and if she was truly asleep and out of pain. I nearly drove myself mad thinking about this - I still do. I wish I knew the answers.

xxR

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I do.

• donkey
    donkey

Why would someone believe in stuff they cannot prove?

I would prefer to believe in Pizza toppings.

• talley
    talley

I do not believe in Ghosts.

Edited by - talley on 22 December 2002 10:47:49

• bigred
    bigred

Mulan, here. I ran out of posts.

I don't know if I would call it believing in ghosts, but I know there is something there. I've had a few experiences with that. So, I guess I believe.

I have had an eerie feeling in some of the places we've traveled. Both of us have felt it. A presence? Don't know. But it's something. I've had more definite ones too.

Edited by - bigred on 22 December 2002 11:6:39

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Donkey,

You don't believe in ghosts because they can't be proved and yet you are fascinated with UFOs and their proponents (the Raelians)?

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I would prefer to believe in Pizza toppings.

The spirit of anchovies lives on!!!

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i believe in ghosts and i havent even seen one. i know that they've been around me though. at odd times i see in my peripheral vision orbs moving about. you either believe in them or you dont.

• rebel
    rebel

So many people have had strange experiences. If they are not ghosts, what are they? Is the WT correct in saying they are demons? As I said, I can't believe that all the people who have had strange experiences are either liars or are imagining it - there has to be something behind these occurrences. I have no idea what it is - I wish I knew more - it would put my mind at rest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit