Are there too many EX-JW Born agains?

by sleepy 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Happy
    Happy

Mouthy,

In my opinion, one of the biggest problems with the watchtower is that witnesses lose their ability to think freely and weigh decisions properly, at least when it comes to religion. It's exactly the same way with BA and fundamental religions. I am for the most part tolerant of others opinions, but when individual insult other people's viewpoints, whether intentionally or indirectly, I am always annoyed. Not to pick on you mouthy, but you said :

Very pretty birds, blue & orange, were flitting around, squirrels running up the tree- Rabbits sitting under my window. I cannot be stupid enough to think POOF!!! they just come into existance -
    Now I am not saying I neccesarily belive in evoloution, but you stating that you couldn't be that stupid implies that everyone who believes in evoloution is stupid. That is a prime example of how people think their beliefs are superior to all others and immune to questioning. Please don't take this personally, but I cannot stand it when people, (especially our friends at the local Kingdom Hall) act as though they are "in the truth" and everyone else is foolish for not agreeing with them. People have to realise that they are not always right, no matter how much they may want to be.
  • rem
    rem

Mouthy,

I wanted so much to NOT believe in God
    I can only speak for myself, but as a current atheist I know that my feelings were completely opposite. I never tried to not believe in god. I always considered belief in god to be a good thing until one day I realized that with all of the research I had done I no longer believed. It was just something I realized, not something I was striving for. Perhaps some other atheists here experienced the same thing.
    Then sitting at my breakfast table & looking out my window- Very pretty birds, blue & orange, were flitting around, squirrels running up the tree- Rabbits sitting under my window. I cannot be stupid enough to think POOF!!! they just come into existance

Those are nice pretty pictures. But did you consider the thought of a pack of wild dogs eating an african buffalo alive? A killer whale slamming a seal on the rocks? Survival is a struggle and it goes on 24x7. Those pretty scenes you recalled are nice and cuddly from your viewpoint, but it's not so nice from the perspective of the worm on the other end of the pretty bird's beak. Why would a god build in so much predation, suffering, pain, and death into his creation? This is what I had to come to terms with.

I have to agree with you, though. It would be pretty stupid to think POOF!!! those animals just came into existance. Unfortunately that's exactly what the bible teaches. The fossil record shows that this is not what happened at all.

rem

• mouthy
    mouthy

Hiding under the table>>>but peeking in to say SORRY!!!!! I goofed. "Oh the gift that God had give us to see( & hear) as others see us.." I was wrong to say" I am not stupid." I got the message I am. That was very wrong of me to imply any one that doesnt believe as I believe is stupid... Please let me off the hook!! I am still born again -but be patient with me. God is not finished with me yet.....

What is my penance???((((hugs to those I offended)

I guess Simon was mad too he removed my picture oops!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It seems there are some pretty broad sweeps of the brush, taking place here.

I was "born again" whilst still a JW, hence why I thought I was "anointed". It was a rush of overwhelming peace, that started the ball rolling.

Now I'm out, I attend a variety of churches, and have my own beliefs (which continue to evolve).
    I'm not so dogmatic as to believe that I have all the answers, because I know I haven't.
    I'm quite content for others to have their own beliefs, and I wouldn't condemn them for that.
    If you REALLY must categorise people, I'd like to be in the slot marked "Unorthodox Christian", please.
    But as for the original question: "Are there too many EX-JW Born agains?" I would have to answer no, unless you lump all BA's as Fundies, which I feel is unfair.

IMHO there are atheists that are just as rabid as Fundies.
    I've met a number of atheists who are just as happy to try to convert people to athiesm, as Evangelicals are to help convert people to Christ.

Sleepy and PD - you've met me - did I come across as a Fundy?

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

I was Born Again by the Lord Jesus Christ around July of 2001.

John 3:3: Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is Born Again he cannot see the Kingdom of God."

• sleepy
    sleepy

Hi Little Toe, you are a prime example of a raving fundimentalist Born again!....Only joking.I enjoyed our brief encounter and are not against anyones beliefs , I just like to express my viewpoint , which if done in the flesh would come across a lot more friendly and less provoking .My point was not get at anyone who is a christian .

What I'm trying to say was that I believe the Bible to be wrong, and trying to follow it is the reason JW's are wrong, but that many just see the organisation as wrong and just move on to other religious groups.I personnally believe that in doing so people have not fully grasped why their previous course of life as a JW was so in error.

I do believe that believing in a god is some thing some people are so used too or so desire that they can not see any other way of thinking apart from that.

When I say are there too many Born Again Ex-jws I'm making a point about how many have "really" learnt the truth about the "truth"(in my eyes anyway), I feel that some are just moving their focus else ware without getting to grips with the reasons why they went wrong before , and that not realising this will just lead them into making the same mistakes again.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hi Sleepy, you li'l raver you.

Nah, just kidding. Seriously, I think that maybe some people were searching for something when they joined the JW's, now that they have been disillusioned by the WT, their search has just continued from where they left off.

I wasn't in that category, I eventually succumbed to dub-dom because I thought it was true and, therefore, I had no choice but to actually become a JW. I wasn't happy that it seemed to be true, I wanted it NOT to be true.

Re fundys, I would never ever have categorised you, Li'l Toe, in that department, you are one of the most amusing and interesting people that I have ever met!

Englishman.

• Ed
    Ed

I don't know much about Born-Again Christians, I only see them on TV occasionally, but one thing I've noticed is that some of them use language that is eerily similar to that used by JWs. I've heard them refer to themselves as being "in the truth", and "witnessing" to "worldly people". And a few other things I've only ever heard JWs say, but can't recall right now. Could that be something that would draw an ex-JW to them first as an alternative faith (assuming they still had any faith)?

• gumby
    gumby

I was 'born again" started studying the Bible's origin, and sceptical views of Christianity....and came to the same conclusion as rem. Why? I thought I was saved for life, had a "token" to heaven and a place reserved. Now I am thought of as a Christian who is denying our savior and is going to lose out. How?....I was saved?

I guess I am just bad, and do not want to conform my life to scriptural requirements and live a heathen immoral selfish life...........as many fundies believe I have done. I haven't changed at all except for the better actually. I still however believe in a God......just not the bible God.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Eman:

you are one of the most amusing and interesting people that I have ever met!

I don't mean to turn this into a mutual appreciation thread, but gee, thanks!!! And there I was thinking the same about you. I've enjoyed your posts since I first started here.

Now I just need to work out what you find amusing, and what you find interesting
    LOL

Sleepy:Only yanking ya chain, pal

I think there's also a threat of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, when we've left something as extreme as the JW's. I know that you've chosen not to believe the bible has any relevance in your life, but that's your choice. Personally I enjoyed your company, when we met, and hope to see you again sometime. Your choice doesn't denigrate you, in my eyes, nor do I feel any inclination to evangelise you.

Ed:
    As for terminology - I find the most frightening thing is hearing AppleMac users talking about "clicking" things and moving Windows, as if they were Micro$oft users (~shudder~) - Scarey stuff!!
    ~ducks and runs~

Gumby:
    I think that some would call you "back-sliden", but frankly, that's between you and your maker.
    So many run around saying that things and people are categorically "such and such". I personally believe that God laughs, between the tears, at the foolishness of our pride.
    I hate categories, pigeon holes and "types".

One things for sure - we'll all find out, one day...
    ...or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit