Are JWs loosing it?

by eyeslice 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Eyeslice,

it is simply dying from within.

So very true! The Org. has cried wolf too often and for too long. Ironically their repeated "indistinct" calls to action have resulted in malaise and the sad recognition that something is wrong.

I too remember the times of genuine excitement in the Org., of happy growth and true friends. The days of well written prophetic books are gone, now it seems to just be a rehash of what was written before and the changes that have been made such as the "generation" and the few others in recent years are being added in a piecemeal fashion without taking into account the whole picture. Something Fred Franz did not do, he was able to spin us around so well we hardly knew we were spinning and it felt so good! lol

Thanks for your post!

IW

• artful
    artful

Great Post IslandWoman:

your comment about FF being able to "able to spin us around so well we hardly knew we were spinning and it felt so good!" really hit the nail on the head!

Whyhideit: Thank you for a very touching, heartwarming post

I remember myself and the 3 pioneer bros that lived with me being so enthusiastic about the "1914 generation" and its imminent end. We used to have such zeal in preaching this "urgent" message, truly believing that we were demonstrating "love" for those in our territory. Now, as with myself, all but one of these bros is no longer attending JW meetings any more!

Looking back, to me this was a time of great friendships, but also a time of great deceits!

Cheers
    Artful

• uriah
    uriah

I think that the rot really set in with the change of the generation. Though many JW took it on the chin as 'new light' none of them I spoke to has actually thought the whole thing through. It is dismissed in their minds. In reality they are keeping the unthinkable exactly that. What does it mean. It means that the hopes and aspirations of JW's has gone. The rug has been pulled from under them and cornerstones of faith have crumbled. I used to sit around the table with the family and we would work out the approximate date using the old generation 'light' as a benchmark. We could see clearly how much longer this old system had to run - you could work it out to within acceptable 'earth years' not god's '1000 years is as a day' stuff. It gave us hope and when those doors slammed in your face or you were ridiculed at work you could think that it was not for much longer. The damage that has been done by this is immeasurable. How many took out penisons - not me that is for sure. How many took out life assurance?. My kids were not supposed to go to school, now I have grandchildren. What this 'new light' did was to destroy hope and I think the WTS underestimated that and how much was actually hanging on that hope which was linked to the generation of 1914. Now this has gone and with it the hopes of the people. Sure, there are those still in, but what else is there for them when they have been in it for aeons and all they know is it. Now there is no hope and all they can say is the oft repeated mantra that we are '... deep, deep into the time of the end...'. Once that held some modicum of truth, now it is meaningless rhetoric.

• JT
    JT
    There was a time when there was a great feeling of optimism

you are correct, the problem of course is the failing prophecies showed that what we were optimistic about turned out to be a lie-

it used to be exciting knowing that SOON, AROUND THE CORNER, SO DEEP IN THE LAST DAYS, etc the world will end, but after seeing jw born in 1912, die thier kids grew up had kids and now they are great grandparents - it is hard to keep excited

it's like when the kids ask ARE WE THERE YET and you look back and say we are almost there, it's round the corner and here you are just crossing the NC and Tenn line on your way to Southern CA

the kids will not be to excited in about anther 24hours-

• JT
    JT
    .....In my congergation the

30 and unders are openly celebrating birthdays, going to office holiday parties, etc..etc... They see

the older members without proper healthcare, retirement etc. They are not going to make the same mistake

THIS GENERATION dogma is a major blow

and your comments about are on the money

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I will give the example of all the hoards of ones I have experienced I lived in the CABOOL MISSOURI congregation! when I first came into the JW's there was an elderly couple,german FAITHFUL that had survived WWII and were amazing to listen to. The congregation would squirm and sigh when he gave talks (although he was an elder) and NOT LISTEN because of his accent when he would comment. They missed the most amazing answers because of their ignorance, we learned so much from he and his wife who had been a seamstress for royalty before the war. Ignorance is what is making then self-destruct and many issues you mentions and I say THE SOONER THE BETTER, be cause I was a LOSER by falling for their crap and my kids and hubby so I hope they crumble before they can hurt anyone else

• JT
    JT
    The days of well written prophetic books are gone, now it seems to just be a rehash of what was written before and the changes that have been made such as the "generation" and the few others in recent years are being added in a piecemeal fashion without taking into account the whole picture. Something Fred Franz did not do, he was able to spin us around so well we hardly knew we were spinning and it felt so good! lol

great post freddy was the only real writer that wt has had in the last 50yrs- i recall we looked forward to NEW LIGHT at the district,now everyone knows it will be CUT AND PASTE

GREAT POST

• JT
    JT
    I used to sit around the table with the family and we would work out the approximate date using the old generation 'light' as a benchmark. We could see clearly how much longer this old system had to run - you could work it out to within acceptable 'earth years' not god's '1000 years is as a day' stuff. It gave us hope and when those doors slammed in your face or you were ridiculed at work you could think that it was not for much longer. The damage that has been done by this is immeasurable. How many took out penisons - not me that is for sure. How many took out life assurance?. My kids were not supposed to go to school, now I have grandchildren. What this 'new light' did was to destroy hope and I think the WTS underestimated that and how much was actually hanging on that hope which was linked to the generation of 1914. Now this has gone and with it the hopes of the people. Sure, there are those still in, but what else is there for them when they have been in it for aeons and all they know is it. Now there is no hope

SO DEEP i recall doing the same thing with friends and i knew as a 30 something I would NEVER GROW OLD- now my wife and i are playing catch up on life, and slowly we are getting back on track, but i can't help but think about so many who will not be able to due to wasting thier allotement of years in the service to wt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit