Jehovah’s Witnesses face child sexual-abuse investigation in Australia - Washington Post article

by defender of truth 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Of the religious and ­nonreligious groups being investigated, the Jehovah’s Witnesses are exceptional, experts say.

In a converted office in downtown Sydney, the organization’s doctrines and practices are being parsed by lawyers, victims and journalists, providing rare insight into one of the Christian world’s most conservative churches.

The church, which was founded in Pennsylvania during the 1870s to promote a 1st-century interpretation of the Bible, has emerged as the least able or willing to deal with sexual abuse within its ranks, said Anne Cossins, an associate law professor at the University of New South Wales and an expert in sex crimes who is a consultant for the inquiry.

“I find their approach to the issue and victims extraordinarily bizarre — almost medieval,” she said in an interview.

Washington Post article

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Please post link to article - this is going to be one to keep. Let the world media and analysts do more than the GB ever feared. Thanks

mmxiv

• Splash
    Splash

She will be quoted in an Awake next year.

"According to Anne Cossins, a law professor, expert and consultant, '[Jehovah's Witnesses] have emerged as [...] able, [...] willing to deal with sexual abuse within it's ranks'."

• Room 215
    Room 215
    Why in the world hasn't the New York Times hasn't covered this issue?
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Send them an e-mail!! The send all the info to the Warwick City Council!!

DD

• defender of truth
  • mimimimi
    mimimimi

“I find their approach to the issue and victims extraordinarily bizarre — almost medieval,” she said in an interview.

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Medieval and bizzare is one way to describe the process.

Cruel and dangerously ignorant is another..

When the 17-year-old complained to church elders of being raped [by her father], two of her father’s friends carried out the investigation.

“Did you enjoy it?” she said she was asked. When she was forced to repeat the allegations in front of her father, he said, according to her: “You seduced me.”

www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/jehovahs-witnesses-face-child-sex-abuse-investigation-in-australia/2015/08/14/d8a58eda-406e-11e5-9561-

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Well, DOT, wouldn't you want to know if a Pedo-protecting sect was moving into your town, buying up property and what not?

I would, but money does strange things to people. The big wigs in Warwick may not care.

DD

• Mephis
    Mephis
    DoT, that's Warwick in the UK. I think the Warwick being referenced is the one in New York where they're building the new compound :D

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit