My fear of people is getting worse!

by gilwarrior 10 Replies latest watchtower medical

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

Today I had the day off from my job. My plan today was to put gas in my car, wash my car, and go to the nearest Ford dealership to get my oil changed. Seemed simple enough, but it was strange. I went the nearest gas station, but I just didn't want to go in. I didn't feel nervous or anything. I just didn't want to go in. I also just didn't feel like going to get my oil changed. I went to car wash, but they told me that their computer went down and that everything was closed. That did it for me. I just didn't go. I finally was able to fill up my truck with gas, but it felt like I had to force myself.

I just don't get it. I my social phobia or whatever I have getting worse? Man, I have to meet people.

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Gil,

If you can try getting together with ex-jw's near you.

I have not done this yet....probly will possible.

This is from being a Jehovah's Witness all these years.

In myself I find there is an invisble wall between me and everyone I meet.....never being able to truely connect. They were once "worldly" to me off limits and still seem to be.

I actually drop a very important activity for me because of this invisible wall.While still a JW I had returned to playing my instrument in a group I had left many years ago. Although everyone remembered me and was warm and friendly I felt very unconnected and akward. Having been a performer I could play it off so no one noticed but still this akwardness was there. As i found out about "The Truth" I became more uneasy!! You'd think it be the oppistie but, instead I feel even more removed as before I would preach to them about God's coming Kingdom.....and now what do I say? See informal Witnessing was my verbal wall between me and "Worldly" Now i have no such protection and I have nothing inbetween me and them. Wierd....right?

Anyway....my plan is to go back in the new year ....atke a deep breath and act like I am normal and life has always been great! I know I can do this as I have numerous times throughout my life.

Eventually it becomes "The Real" me and I'm glued together with no noticable cracks.

I have to run for now....but if you want e-mail me and we can talk......I find talking with someone who is going through it realy helps......Dede/lyineyes has been a real help to me....her and Nelly.....pettygrudger....etc...reading everyones posts is good therapy too.

take deep breaths Gil relax and move forward.....ever see "What About Bob?" Baby steps dude!

Take care!!

Bye bye 4 now

Agape,

Utopian_Raindrops

P.S. Meet anyone in person you can who has left "The Colective"

• Skeptically Yours
    Skeptically Yours

Gilwarrior,

Wow! Have you looked into getting professional help?

Being a real born loner, I can identify a little bit with not liking a whole lot of people around; but your case sounds much more than just 'choosing' not to want to be with crowds.

I do not enjoy at all being in crowds, but I force myself constantly to deal with it, and that I've had to do because I have to attend frequent religious meetings and big assemblies 3 times per year, so I'm forced to deal with crowds constantly. I've gotten pretty good, though. People I've told that I'm somewhat shy and prefer to be by myself have a hard time believing it because I put on such a good act when needed.

So, Gilwarrior, it can be done. Keep trying!

Take care,

• flower
    flower

Why dont you ask your psychiatrist about this? If you dont have one then you should get one. Agoraphobia is the name most closely associated with what you talk about going through...a serious problem but treatable.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I was totally with you Gil man, untill the comment about going to the Ford Dealership.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Thankgoodness...I thought you just didn't like Meee.!

Ok sorry gil, seriously though, not trying to sound like a nag but you really should find a good shrink. Someone who specializes in panic disorders. Even thought it may not seem to you like a "panic" attack, or "panic" may sound a bit strong, it sounds like what you are expierencing. If you find a good doc. that can recognize the problem and help you with the right treatment then at least it probably won't get worse. You REALLY don't want to get worse.

Hope things get better for you.

plum

btw, you can e-mail me any time you want.

• not interested
    not interested

Gill,

Im not a medical prof. but i think maybe some counciling may be good for you, along that line there are meds for social anxiety disorder. Paxil comes to mind, ask your DR. about it, but let me warn you, as i took it for about 3 months, the side effects realy suck (at least for me they did) and it can be addictive

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

I agree with Plmkrzy.Seek out professional help.This could be a therapist,or even just alerting your general practiononer to your feelings.

I went through a similar experience a few years ago.I would be fine at work,but if I were home,things were different.I did not want to interact with people at all.Just picking up the phone to make a call was hard.I had no ambition to get things done at all.I went through counseling for a while,and combined that with medication(Zoloft worked well for me).It helped tremendously.I am fine now(without meds or counseling),but I also keep myself alert to any signs of anxiety and/or depression.

Whatever avenues you consider,I wish you good luck.Just know that these feelings are treatable,so why live this way?You deserve to live your life to the fullest,and enjoy your life to the fullest.

Take care of yourself.

Best wishes,Charlene

• Shakita
    Shakita

Hi Gil Warrior,

I'm in agreement with many of the posters here. It sounds like you need professional help. There's no shame in seeking help for mental health issues. A psychiatrist can take your entire history and come to a conclusion about what you are suffering from. Perhaps you may need medication to help you through this difficult time in your life. I would advise taking one day at a time. Try not to sweat the small stuff. Try not to beat yourself up over supposed failures in your life. Everyone goes through ups and downs in life, that's normal. Remember Gil Warrior, your worth is not dependent on externals. In other words, what a person has achieved materially. You are a good person that happens to have hit a rough spot in your life. Don't give up. There are people that care about you. There is hope that soon you will feel better and your outlook on life will brighten.

I have a list that discusses TEN RULES FOR COPING WITH PANIC, I hope this will be of some help to you.

1. Remember that feelings of anxiety and panic are nothing more than an exaggeration of normal bodily reactions to stress.

2. They are not harmful or dangerous, just unpleasant. Nothing worse will happen to you.

3. Stop adding to panic with frightening thoughts about what is happening and where it might lead. Stop "awfulizing."

4. Notice what is really happening in your body when you feel panicky, not what might happen.

5. Wait and give the fear the time to pass without fighting it or running away. Just accept it.

6. Notice that once you stop adding to the fear with frightening thoughts, it starts to fade away.

7. Remember that the whole point of practice is learning how to cope with fear-without avoiding it. This is an opportunity to make progress.

8. Think about the progress you have made despite all of the difficulties, and how pleased you will be when you succeed this time.

9. When you begin to feel better, look around and plan what to do next.

10. When you are ready to go on, start off in an easy, relaxed way-without effort or hurrying.

In order to maximize your benefits from doing this exercise, it would be helpful to write down some notes or thoughts about how thinking about the rules helped or did not help during a panic attack.

Also Gil Warrior there is a book written by Doc Childre entitled "Freeze Frame," in which he gives a technique for overcoming stress. In the book he tells of some that suffered from severe depression that were helped to minimize their depression by using his techniques. Here are five steps that may help you to cope until you seek professional help.

1. Recognize the stressful feeling and FREEZE-FRAME it! Take a time out.

2. Make a sincere effort to shift your focus away from the racing mind or disturbed emotions to the area around your heart. Pretend you're breathing through your heart to help focus your energy in this area. Keep your focus there for 10 seconds or more.

3. Recall a positive, fun feeling or time you've had in life and attempt to reexperience it.

4.Now, using your intuition, common sense and sincerity, ask your heart-what would be a more efficient response to the situation, one that will minimize future stress?

5.Listen to what your heart says in answer to your question.

Also Gil Warrior, there are some signs of major depression that you need to watch out for.

1. Overwhelming hopelessness, feeling of worthlessness, destructive guilt and self-blame,find no pleasure,no longer care

2. Thoughts of suicide, hard to concentrate,

3. Prolonged duration (two weeks or more)

4. Constant fatigue; unexplained aches, changes in eating and sleeping habits, inability to sit still, pacing, handwringing,slowed speech or body motions.

Also, Gil Warrior, sometimes we torment ourselves with a distorted thinking pattern.

1. All-or-nothing thinking: You see things in black -and- white categories. If your performance falls short of perfection, you see yourself as a total failure.

2.Overgeneralization: You see a negative event as a never-ending pattern of defeat. For instance, after an argument with a friend, you may conclude: "I'm losing all my friends. Nothing turns out right for me."

3. Disqualifying the positive: You reject positive experiences by insisting that they don't count or "I'm not worthy of such." By dwelling on a single negative detail, your whole world darkens.

4. Jumping to conclusions: You arbitrarily conclude that someone doesn't like you, and you don't bother to check this out. Or you are absolutely convinced that things will always turn out badly.

5. Magnification or minimization: You exaggerate the importance of things (such as your own mistake or someone else's achievement) or play down things until they appear tiny (your own desirable qualities or the other fellow's imperfections) You make nightmarish disasters out of commonplace negative events.

6. Personalization: You see yourself as the cause of some negative external event that, in fact, you were not primarily responsible for.

So, I hope that this information has been of some help to you. Please tell us how things have worked out. We all care. The Shakita family sends our love and support. God bless you.

Mr. Shakita

• JT
    JT

JUST SOME ADVICE

go thru the post and see if there is someone you feel you can relate to- then email them and setup a phone call

i will tell anyone here there is nothing like hearing the voice of someone that you read thier post day and day out

THE OFFLINE CONNECTION IS VITAL IN MY VIEW

CALL ME OR EMAIL ME-

[email protected]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit