Mr Jackson said the GB has apologized in the past?

by notsurewheretogo 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    Please enlighten me as to where and when...
  • zebulon
    zebulon

The GB apologized for the 1975 fiasco by blaming the rank and file for "going ahead of what is written."

Z

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    It was a passive-aggressive mistakes-were-made-(but-not by-us)-type "apology" around 1980 for the 1975 shenanegins.
  • notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

I read the apology from Ray Franz in the 1980 WT and I must admit it is not really an apology...they just admitted the GB gave the impression that 1975 was the end...

Are there any other instances?

• Londo111
    Londo111
    "It is to be regretted" is not an apology.
  • prologos
    prologos

It is to be regretted" is not an apology. Londo 111

Wt speaker said at an assembly we regretted "printing that". The idea was ok, it is the printing they regretted.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    They have never apologized for jack ***t. I don't know what Jackson was talking about.
  • fastJehu
    fastJehu
    *** w80 3/15 p. 17 par. 5 Choosing the Best Way of Life ***
    5 In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With the appearance of the book Life Everlasting—in Freedom of the Sons of God, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man’s existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"...there were statements made..."

"...it is to be regretted..."

I'm gonna go blind just from rolling my eyes.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu
    *** g95 6/22 p. 9 Can You Trust God’s Promises? ***
    Bible Students, known since 1931 as Jehovah’s Witnesses, also expected that the year 1925 would see the fulfillment of marvelous Bible prophecies. They surmised that at that time the earthly resurrection would begin, bringing back faithful men of old, such as Abraham, David, and Daniel. More recently, many Witnesses conjectured that events associated with the beginning of Christ’s Millennial Reign might start to take place in 1975. Their anticipation was based on the understanding that the seventh millennium of human history would begin then.
    These erroneous views did not mean that God’s promises were wrong, that he had made a mistake. By no means! The mistakes or misconceptions, as in the case of first-century Christians, were due to a failure to heed Jesus’ caution, ‘You do not know the time.’ The wrong conclusions were due, not to malice or to unfaithfulness to Christ, but to a fervent desire to realize the fulfillment of God’s promises in their own time.
    Consequently, A. H. Macmillan explained later: “I learned that we should admit our mistakes and continue searching God’s Word for more enlightenment. No matter what adjustments we would have to make from time to time in our views, that would not change the gracious provision of the ransom and God’s promise of eternal life.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit