Did U hurt someone because of JW rules?

by LyinEyes 21 Replies latest jw friends

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I know we all make mistakes but did you ever really hurt someone while you were a JW, because of sticking to their darn rules? Did you ever, even as it was happening, feel selfrighteous?

I did. It is something that I have been thru over and over in my head and I have forgiven myself for it, but I can never make it right with the person I hurt.

My dad was an elder , very self righteous, he taught me well, I did what ever he said and acted the way he told me too. I really loved this man and tried to copy myself after him. Most kids do look up to their dad's even if they have a troubled abusive relationship.

My mother was hooked on prescription drugs off and on for years. It got really bad my last years at home and I really got sick of her. I hated her slurred speech, I hated her stoned face, I hated her forgetting the details of my day I told her, I hated her stumbling into the k.h. falling asleep.

I tried to talk to her over and over and she just attacked me and singled me out of all the members in the room she would turn to me and ask,,"why do you hate me Delores, why are YOU doing this to me" ,( I wasnt the only one in the room ,, why me?) It hurt me and therefore I wanted to hurt her back.

I did this by losig respect for her and back talking in anyway I could. Of course my dad didnt see me do this or I would have got a beatin from him. I said many hurtful things to her, I didnt understand how someone could let themselves get in such bad shape. I compared her to other sisters in the hall, my friends mom's, and how crappy of a mother she was, of course not in those words thou.

I saw her drop her head and cry. I felt like I won. I felt that someone had to shock her to her senses. I was always preaching to her about lets go in service together, lets go to the meeting, I was always trying to prove to her that if you just put your mind to it, you can stop this crap. And that by doing things Jehovah's way , was the only way. God, I can barf at the things I said.

Right before my mom commited suicide we started to mend the hurt over the years and she started acting like more of a mom to be than she ever had been in my life. She cooked me breakfast, she cried when I cried over personal problems , my problems, she brushed my hair, she layed on the bed and held me. I was 18 yrs old. I had a talk with her about the way I treated her when she was in rehab, at a family marathon, and told her I thought I hated her , but I really didnt hate her , I hated what she was doing. She seemed hurt, but maybe it was more sadness.

I didnt realise alot of things about my mother until years after she died, and I had my own kids. I was just a teen thinking I was so wonderful in my thinking, that you can be strong and rely on Jehovah no matter what you have to face. I don't believe that anymore. I know some people,myself included, ironic huh,,,,,, need help, meds, therapy etc. Jehovah is not going to make it all better .

I have begged my mothers' forgivenss for thinking in that JW superior attitude, and treating her like I did. I will never know if she really forgave me or not. I can only base that she would, by the kind of person she was while I had her here.

It is hard to live with the fact that you hurt someone like that. I know many will say , you were just a kid, you were neglected, you had reason to act out of hurt, you really didnt hate her. I know that is probably true, but still I hate the way I thought doing thngs Jehovah's way would make it all better, all the extra tough love stuff just didnt work. I guess we all have things that we did as JW's that bring us shame.

Did you ever hurt anyone , by thinking you had all the answers as a JW, and by trying to enforce those crappy rules and regulations they made us do?

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

(((((((((((dede)))))))))) missed you hon.

Yeh, I hurt my mom. Thanks to being a good lil dub, my mom soon followed and their rules made us believe she should return to my father, who used those rules to make life hell for mom all over again. And because I was a good dub, I often left her to deal with it alone as she was a 'big girl' and could deal with it.

thanks to me, mom got beaten again and her self esteem broken. if i hadn't fallen into the claws of the dubs, my mom wouldn't have been hurt twice around, as the first time was enough for several people. I'll always carry the fact of my stupidity thru those years and what it did to her.

it definitely humbles me. eyes wide open to the fact that just it seems right - doesn't make it right - and you never leave one you love in the pit with a snake, no matter what.

that's my confession for the day. hugs to all.

Mimilly

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

((((((Lyineyes))))))

I hurt a few people when I broke JW rules.
    The main person I hurt because of JW rules though, wuz myself.

SPAZ

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Hey Mim,,,,,, I have missed you so much too, I am glad things are going smooth for you at work. The girls seem to be thriving too. All the heartbreak your soon to be ex is causing you , must be hard, I wish I had words of comfort but the only one that I have ,, and it is lame..lol...... is time.

In time all wounds do heal, they may leave an ugly scar but they heal over. I wish you peace while you are healing Mim. Email me with your new email addy when you get ok, I have missed emails from you.

Thanks for replying to this post, I think it helps us all to know we all did things as JW's and we didnt see it as we do now that we are out. It is good therapy to expose yourself , but not easy really, when you want to hide your actions away from the world . I am trying to be truthful with myself , so I can never be that way again. I think I am doing pretty good at it. I really know now, that once someone is gone, you can't make it up to them. I try everyday to say kind things to people , but especailly my family. You just never know what might happen in the day. I know it is morbid to go around thinking someone might die, but considering that that did happen to me , I will never get over the feelings I had when it first happend, utter shock. I will not take forgranted my family again.

I hope to keep up with my friends here, sometimes i spend too much time on this computer but it is my way of reaching out and being a better person that I was. There are some people I can not help anymore , but there are others here begging for friends, now I just admit I don't know the way, but I will be here to be your friend while you find your way.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

((((((((((((((Dede))))))))))))))

My dear friend- you will forgive yourself one day. The whole process you are going through now will get you there. To be able to think through all of this stuff and then pour it out here in writing not only helps you but helps so many more than you'll probably ever know. It's not just pixels on a screen- it's healing.

I don't know if it's truly possible for those who have passed on to look upon us but I've always felt that my father has been with me throughout my life. If that is only in my head- so be it- it gives me some extra strength and guidance when I need it the most. Your mom is with you in your spirit, helping you heal. She has already forgiven you and the memories of her you are bringing out will enable you to forgive yourself later on.

Much love,

XW

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Thanks XW, my lady with words of wisdom , always there to make me feel I am on the right path. Maybe your father and my mother have hooked up in heaven and have guidied us to each other. Sounds silly, but who knows, nice little dream anyway ,,lol.

I know my mom is with me in some ways, the things she did teach me the things I listen to her about, and by going back and remember the kind of person she was. Her motto was.."Live and Let Live".. I always thought that was simplistic,,,,,,,, but it is profound . I try to be that way, by not judging anymore, not judging because I may not have walked a mile in someones eles shoes. You never really know what you would do in a circumstance unless you are faced with it.

I hope what I have to say will encourage someone eles who may be going thru grief , or hard times.

I seem to recall that Farkel , I believe said , that the greatest gift we have ,,,,,,,, is each other. I truly 100% believe that. No man is an island , so we were meant to be together , thru the fights, the hurt feelings, the love, the shared sorrows,,,,,, we need each other.

Thanks Xena for being such a God send to me,,,,,,,,,,,,, all my hugs and love ,, Dede

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Dede, many of us have done things in the name of "righteousness" because we were blinded by doctrine of a false religion. You can even look at the example of Paul in the bible who was zealously persecuting Christians. I think by what you stated, your mom forgave you and those last moments that you had with her were certainly better for her I'm sure.

I know that when I was a witness I would tell on people for doing things and would get on people for not contributing enough and I would look down on people for not being "spiritual". Looking back it makes me sick.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

This is something that I never wanted to do, but it's something I had to do to avoid being screamed at, or even beaten.

It was Valentine's day at my elementary school. I had recieved a pile of Valentines on my desk. I had given none out. I didn't want to hurt the other kids' feelings, and I took them home to be disposed of. My mother screamed at me for bringing them home.

The following year, the same thing happened. Big pile of Valentines on my desk. To avoid any screaming or abuse at home, I took the big pile, and threw them directly in the trash. One girl begged me not to throw her Valentine out. I kept it just so I wouldn't hurt her. I disposed of it at home without my mother knowing.

I still feel bad for throwing them all out in front of all the kids at school.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Well Dede I know as JWs we hurt people who mean all lot to us even if we don't want to. As a youth living in the household with my parents who were witnesses and my father being an elder their were strict rules and regulation in our household. One such one was that my grandma (mom's mom ) was demonized according to my mom so we had to throw out all the gifts and things my grandma had ever given us kids while growing up. And then when my grandma would give us books and encylopidias my mother didn't know what to do. So she decided to take all these books and other things grandma had given us and to take them to her and tell her that she didn't want them and she didn't want her to give us girls nothing ever again and that she was a demonized person. My grandma was completely devasted. It hurt her to the core. You had to know my grandma she was the most beautiful women in the world. My mother was a zealot and is a wierd JW. Many year later my mother apologized to my grandma, but the damage was done. My mothers relationship with grandma was strained. But grandma forgave mom, but the strain was only in my mothers head.

Since I am no longer a JW and my grandma died 10 yrs ago and I was still in she would never know that I left the organization. My aunt who never nor will ever become a JW for what my mother did to grandma told me just recently that mom hurt grandma so deeply and yet grandma being a good christian never held it against my mom because she knew the JW's brainwashed her. Anyway my aunt told me that grandma always loved me so much as I was her first grandchild and she always held a special place in her heart for me. Two days before my grandma passed away she grabbed me with all her strength and said to me "Terry I love you with all my heart."

I broke down and cried and cried for a long long time because being a stupid witness I couldn't undo what pain mom had caused her.

I only wished she was alive so she could see that I left and am happy and married to a wonderful new man.

Grandma where ever you are. I love you so much. And now Uncle Charlie has come to join you. Love

Terry xoxox Orangefatcat.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

I hurt family that were non-Jws. I let myself become so estranged from my relatives, that even today they look at my new "lets be family" overtures with suspicion. I cant blame them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit