Living together before marriage=promiscuous?

by Witch Child 26 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Witch Child
    Witch Child

This is part of someone else's post;

"we had a controversy recently related to this. Our last pastor (a great guy, a Harvard grad and a Ph.D.) said he would not marry persons with one address (they could live together and fornicate all they wished, they just could not flaunt it) and some condemned him for intolerance! In my college teaching we cover the health problems of promiscuous sexual behavior ( it's a major killer) and the problem is as bad in churched as unchurched people. Morals just are not taught in many churches, thus members end up with a large number of broken marriages and all kind of health problems."

In this post living together is equated with "promiscuous sexual behavior. I am not easily offended.... but this really bothers me. Promiscuous means, in this instance; Indiscriminate in sexual relations... or possibly; lacking standards of selection.

Well thanks a bunch! I lived with my mate for 5 years before we tied the knot. I was never indiscriminate... I am a one man kind of woman. We were, always were and still are, exclusive, steady, monogamous. I had no more chance coming down with some deadly form of STD than if we had been married. It is ridiculous to assert that unmarried partnership=promiscuity. And insulting.

And that's my 2 cents on that.

~Witch

• Gopher
    Gopher

And here I always thought promiscuity meant going from partner to partner, from bed to bed!

In fact here's the dictionary definition:

1. Having casual sexual relations frequently with different partners; indiscriminate in the choice of sexual partners.
    2. Lacking standards of selection; indiscriminate.
    3. Casual; random.
    4. Consisting of diverse, unrelated parts or individuals; confused: Throngs promiscuous strew the level green (Alexander Pope).

So by definition that goofball cleric is wrong, very wrong! A committed relationship to an individual before marriage is NOT promiscuity. They may want to call it fornication, they'd be on safer ground there. But that's a different topic.

• metatron
    metatron

I'm confused as to why such a cleric would not marry people 'living in sin'.

It seems like that would be the advisable thing to do. Why would you wish to
    perpetuate their 'fornication'?

metatron

• Xander
    Xander

Religious rules for sexual relations are irritating to begin with.

The whole point is obviously to excercise control over people. Very irritating. And, of course, society is completely ruled over by the religious minority - hence the 'morals' that don't make any logical sense. (IE., 'murder is wrong' - THAT is a moral that makes sense. 'sex before marriage is wrong' ??? where'd that one come from? OH!, That's right - your invisible friend n/m)

Edited by - Xander on 18 December 2002 10:29:22

• Realist
    Realist

Witch Child,

>>I lived with my mate for 5 years before we tied the knot. I was never indiscriminate... I am a one man kind of woman. <<

good to hear that such girls still exist!!!

• Witch Child
    Witch Child

Supposedly there are 3 replies to this post of mine... but I can't see anything but my original post.... What's up with that?

• XandersEvilTwin
    XandersEvilTwin

Either you have everybody else blocked, or you should hit refresh (F5).

(I'm posting from this account in case you DO have mine blocked)

• Englishman
    Englishman

Her Ladyship and I loved together before we were married, much to the consternation of JW parents who encouraged us to marry with all haste. I was considered to be a fornicator, she was deemed a fornicatrix! *

I've recommended to our boys that they too should live with someone prior to marriage.

Englishman.

* UK and Ozzie posters will obviously pun along with For knicker tricks here.

• Witch Child
    Witch Child

ok, NOW I can see them. (???) weird.

Xander, the invisible friend thing, that is priceless! I absolutely love it.

Realist, sorry if you haven't found a girl who will stay loyal to you. They are out there. I am always amazed when people cheat on each other... it is so... lacking in heart. I could never betray my Sweet Vampire. Not even if... oh I don't know... say Mel Gibson or whoever showed up dipped in Godiva chocolate! Nope, sorry, this girl is SO taken, can't be bought. Good luck on the hunt!

~Witch

• Xena
    Xena

Well next time around I am certainly going to live with the person before committing to marriage! You just don't know someone till you actually live with them, do you? And I am going to advise my daughter to do the same....

promiscous? nope. smart? yep!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit