Reading Recommendations

by Kristen 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• Kristen
    Kristen
    Can you tell us a little bit about your taste in reading material Kristen?

Introspection,
    I'm open to almost anything. The short stuff that makes you think a lot has the most appeal to me. Fiction is something I haven't given much consideration to, but agree with MD that it could help open the doors of perception. Stepping out of 'reality' might do me some good right now.

But don't offer recommendations based only on my tastes–I know so many others glean from the discussion too. So whatever works for you, please share!

Thanks for all the additional recommendations everyone.

Kristen

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

Kristin I just had a V-8 moment with this topic! (D'OH!)... if you want a guide to really good books, watch what Ginny Tosken has to say. If she recommends a book, you won't go wrong checking it out. Ginny is one of the smartest women I know, and she is a thinker of rare clarity.

Dunno why I didn't think of this right off the bat!

Kicking herself,
    (picture MOmmie pratfalling over her cane as she tries a three-legged buttkicking to her own fat behind! ROFL)

MD

• Kristen
    Kristen

Note to myself: Read Ginny Tosken's posts

Thanks MD!

• Introspection
    Introspection

Well Kristen there's a thread in the main forum where people gave their "top 10" list so you might want to look for that. Personally I would recommend the Tao Teh Ching, the translation I have is by a John C. H. Wu published by Shambhala, though there are other good versions I'm sure. Just don't get Stephen Mitchell's, and look to see if it's a literal rendering - Chinese is a completely different language. This thing is very short (you can easily read the whole thing in one sitting) but you can get a lot out of it if you stop and think about it a bit. It's not religious per se but a philosophical work, religious Taoism is quite different. If you check it out let me know what you think.

By the way, I'm glad you asked about something to help your growth after leaving the organization as opposed to helping you break free. No doubt most will have a bit of JW thinking pattern left, but I think one of the most effective things you can do is to stretch your mind in order to go beyond that pattern.

• bonnie38
    bonnie38

Keys Tp Positive Thinking, by Napoleon Hill is a good book.
    You Can Have It All, by Mary Kay Ash is another one.
    Some fiction authors that I have really enjoyed include John Grisham, Tom Clancy, Danielle Steele, Leon Uris.
    Bonnie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit