Reading Recommendations

by Kristen 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• Kristen
    Kristen

I'm a bookworm and would love to hear some of your recommendations.

Besides the traditional COC, In Search of Christian Freedom, etc. books that help facilitate one's journey out, please feel free to share the titles you found helpful to your own growth after leaving the organization.

Thanks a bunch!

• larc
    larc

Kristen,

You might want to go to any of JAVA's posts and find his web site there. He has a list of books that he found useful.

• Kristen
    Kristen

Thanks larc,
    I've been to Java's site and enjoyed it very much. He's got an interesting perspective on things and I liked reading about his own experiences. Noticed the book titles too.

I noticed another book thread has been started in main, so I'll keep an eye on it for other recommendations.

Thanks again,
    Kristen

• patio34
    patio34

Kristen,

One book I recommend that really made me question 'the truth' was 'The Postman.' Don't see the movie with Kevin Costner (terrible!).

The book affected me because of the hard times people had protecting themselves from survivalist groups.

I visualized a jw putting themself in the protection of the group yet refusing to help anyone. It seemed cowardly to me.

Anyway, it was one of the best books I've read. The author is David Bruin, I believe and it's in the science fiction section.

patio

• NothingMan
    NothingMan

High Kristen,

"New Testament Words" by William Barcly rekindled my excitement for the Bible. Its not a dictionary, but he chooses about 30 prevelant and relevant Greek Bible words and expounds on them. He shows how the word was used at the time thus helping you see what would have been the understanding of the word to those hearing or reading it at the time.

Any book by Alice Miller I recommend. She has helped me understand the Nature of Humans. Her insights have changed me and help me understand myself for the first time in my life.

Hope you check them out, if so let me know what you think?

What are your recommedations?

"Once divided, nothing left to subtract"
    Exiting>NothingMan

• Kristen
    Kristen

Patio and Nothingman,
    Thanks for sharing your recommendations! I have always enjoyed reading, and am especially interested in books that will help further my journey out of the organization. The Postman and author Alice Miller sound like the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

What do I recommend? To be honest, I've only read COC and Jehovah Lives in Brooklyn, and LOTS of personal experiences and information on the Web. I'm going to order In Search of Christian Freedom from the library and wanted to compile a list of others that I can check out too. After this semester I'll have more time to devote to finishing a book.

I do appreciate your recommendations very much!

Kristen

• Francois
    Francois

The Third Eye - T. Lobsang Rampa

A dramatic illustration of other religions truth

• Uni girl
    Uni girl

read anything by Jack Kerouac, it makes you think a bit more than normal. It makes you want to lead an alternative lifestyle it makes you want to feel free

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

I recommend some fiction because it helps open the doors of yor perception, especially for those of us who were so closed-minded as cultists.
    Here are some of my faves that helped expand my horizons:

The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin. In fact, almost anything of hers will help pry your mind open, but this one was especially wonderful for me.

Towing Jehovah, by Robert Morrow

anything by Tom Robbins. His take on religion is incredibly refreshing and he is a screamingly funny writer.

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. Follow this with other Vonnegut but be careful. His work is deceptively simple but idea-rich, you can get overloaded before you realize. Sirens of Titan and Slaughterhouse-Five are my choices for #2, then take a break before you read more of his stuff!

I hope you'll try some of these. Let me know if you found this helpful?

Love
    MD

• Introspection
    Introspection

I think this really depends on the individual.. Everyone is different, even those who are just leaving the WTS. I personally like short stuff that makes you think a lot, but that may not be for everyone. Some lean toward science, for others an investigation of other religions (some are arguably more a school of philosophy than a religion) may be what's needed. Can you tell us a little bit about your taste in reading material Kristen?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit