What Double Standards Do JW's Practice?

by minimus 25 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

One double standard that always got to me was how a body of elders would talk about how a brother needed to "qualify" for some privilege by being a good example for weekend service and yet a number of elders would hardly ever go out in field service at all! Or how they would use 2 hours to literally gossip about everyone in the congregation, and then give a local needs talk on the need of not talking about the brothers and minding our own business.........What double standards got to you?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Proclaiming that they are the true Christians, when they don't believe that Jesus is their mediator.

• email
    email

The WTS being a member of the UN for 10+ years... but if you become a member of the YMCA you might get DFed for apostasy.

email

• minimus
    minimus

How about this one? You can't get disfellowshipped for accepting blood transfusions, but you are disassociated.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Here's a good one: The JW rules allow you to accept certain blood fractions, which of course are extracted from blood donations.

But JW's as a whole do not donate blood. That would be participating in a sinful system.

Bleccccchhhhhhhh............

They call the police if there's an intruder in the home or Kingdom Hall.

But they don't allow their members to join the police department.

Bleccccchhhhhhhhhh................

They insist that their members pay taxes to Caesar.

But they cannot vote as to how those taxes are spent.

Bleccccchhhhhhhhhhh.............

They prohibit their members from celebrating Thanksgiving (a North American holiday).

But very many of them eat turkey and all the fixings on that holiday anyway.

LOL.

There are so many, but I have to get ready for work (otherwise I'd be on here for several hours thinking of examples).

Edited by - Gopher on 18 December 2002 9:27:23

• minimus
    minimus

Good ones, Gopher! I've got to go pretty soon too, but I think this will be a fun thread!

• Fire Dragon
    Fire Dragon

The one that pissed me off the most is that they always tell their householders that they need to examine their religion to see if it is right....so come to the Kingdumb Hell. But we were never allowed to accept an invitation to their churches because THAT was interfaith.

-Fire

• Mary
    Mary

If you commit adultery or fornication (consenting sex between two adults), chances are, you'll be reproved or maybe even disfellowshipped;

If you are a pedophile and have unconsenting sex with a child, you'll be promoted, pampered and protected without exception, even if you end up in prison.

If you go to university to get a BA, MA or PhD, you'll be viewed as an "independent thinker" within the congregation;

If you already have a degree and THEN become a Witness, everyone will be so proud that someone with a PhD learned "the truth"!

It's okay to celebrate wedding anniversaries, but not your own birthday......

It's okay to watch Sleeping Beauty, but not Harry Potter......

It's okay for brothers to wear a mustache, but not a beard.............

It's okay to lose a hundred grand in the stock market cause that's a "business investment", but you can't lose $1.00 on a lottery ticket cause that's "gambling".

• roybatty
    roybatty
    The WTS being a member of the UN for 10+ years... but if you become a member of the YMCA you might get DFed for apostasy.

Happened to me!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

What I never understood was that you weren't suppose to have a beard, because it's unclean, yet in all the pictures in their literature, every man had a beard - including Jesus. I guess Jesus was unclean.

Also, JWs aren't suppose to dwell on material things, but I know of quite a few brothers who would buy a brand new cadillac every 2 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit