Watchtower says "BEAT your CHILDREN!"

by UnDisfellowshipped 35 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

"Spare the rod, spoil the child" was my mother's favorite saying. I guess the meaning of rod nowadays has been broadened to include :hairbrushes, and coffe pots, and hangers, and turners of venician blinds. Perhaps using the rod also includes pushing your children from moving cars..... Well whatever the case, I know the rod wasn't spared on me, and I certainly didn't end up spoiled.

Hey I think the JWs are right after all. Of course they have always been right, even from the very begining back in the late 19th century. Because they are inspired by God, so everything they have written from the begining is correct and is still taught exactly the same way as original outlined....... oops wait...

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Thanks for all your comments!

Yes, indeed, these are old Quotes.

But I personally haven't seen any new Quotes in Watchtower Publications contradicting these old Quotes.

In fact, here is a much more modern Quote related to this subject:

The Watchtower March 1st 1988 Issue, Pages 23-27:

"Many Christian fathers do their utmost to share the load of looking after the children. They take their full share in seeing that their children remain quiet during congregation meetings. If their baby starts to cry, or their child becomes boisterous, they in their turn will take it outside for appropriate discipline."

Also, I believe last month (or the month before), in the "Our Kingdom Ministry", it was recommending all JW's to order and read the 1950's Watchtower Bound Volumes because they still contain "good information".

And, here are a few interesting Scriptures:

Matthew 18:5: Whoever receives one such little child in My Name receives Me,
    Matthew 18:6: but whoever causes one of these little children who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him that a huge millstone should be hung around his neck, and that he should be sunk in the depths of the sea.

Matthew 19:13: Then little children were brought to Him, that He should lay His hands on them and pray; and the Disciples rebuked them.
    Matthew 19:14: But Jesus said, "Allow the little children, and don't forbid them to come to Me; for to such belongs the Kingdom of Heaven."

Mark 10:13: They were bringing to Him little children, that He should touch them, but the Disciples rebuked those who were bringing them.
    Mark 10:14: But when Jesus saw it, He was moved with indignation, and said to them, "Allow the little children to come to Me! Don't forbid them, for the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these.
    Mark 10:15: Most assuredly I tell you, whoever will not receive the Kingdom of God like a little child, he will in no way enter into it."

Colossians 3:21: Fathers, don't provoke your children, so that they won't be discouraged.

I just wanted to clarify that I am not against Parents spanking their children, but I most certainly am against Parents following the Watchtower's instructions and "BEATING" their Children senseless!

Edited by - UnDisfellowshipped on 18 December 2002 17:38:51

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

TO All:

My husband was a product of "after the meeting beatings" No they weren't disciplined at the hall but they got the hell beat out of them at home because they didn't sit still for 2 hours.

I came into the dubs in 1984 the beatings and slapping I saw would make your hair stand on end. Yes, I spanked my children but not for not being able to sit for an ungodly amount of time, hell even I got bored. LOL

My husband was witness to the violence against his mother and when we were married and he thought that was the way to act, the elders blamed ME of course. He realized that he was wrong and we recovered but YES children are abused every day by the witnesses it's much more than a mere spanking and WHO IN GODS NAME expects a TWO year old to listen except for a brainwashed BORG~

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped
    Some Indiana School Principles have gotten fired for paddling school kids when they were bad and some parents sued the Principle for it as well.

And I agree completely that they should be sued.

PARENTS should be the ONLY ONES who can Spank their children, not Teachers, in my opinion.

• amac
    amac
    YES children are abused every day by the witnesses

And by the Catholics, and by the Protestants, and by the Muslims, and by the non-religous, etc, etc, etc...

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

amac said:

And by the Catholics, and by the Protestants, and by the Muslims, and by the non-religous, etc, etc, etc...

ANYONE who abuses Children needs to be LOCKED-UP!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yes, yes, yes! Much of this is true, BUT........

...............the thread title is misleading when it states : "Watchtower says "BEAT your CHILDREN!"

To clarify, note that the title is in the present tense. Despite much interpretation, personal opinion, and circumstantial evidence, the fact is that no present examples of the WTS's saying to beat children has been given.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

You are correct, Ozzie.

I do apologize for the misleading Subject.

It should read "The Watchtower said" or "The Watchtower taught".

I was actually trying to use the phrase "the Watchtower says" in the same way as when someone says "The Bible says" or "the Encyclopedia says".

Also, Merry Christmas Ozzie!!!

Edited by - UnDisfellowshipped on 20 December 2002 8:18:59

• garybuss
    garybuss

Thanks for the thread. Physical abuse was taught from the platform, openly practiced, and expected all during my 23 years exposure. Hatred and abuse is the format of the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation sponsored activities.

Their contempt for decency on many levels needs to continue being told.

The Way I See it http://www.freeminds.org/buss/buss.htm

• amac
    amac

Physical abuse was taught and openly practiced by many people up until recent decades. The WT has changed their view on this at about the same pace as most of US society. They did NOT teach people to "beat their children", they taught them to discipline their children with physical and negative punishment (which I disagree with), which is what the majority of people were doing at the time anyway. So when it comes to this topic, you should have as much contempt for the average american parent in the 50's and 60's as you do for the WT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit