You will never grow old

by Elsewhere 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Debz
    Debz

For years (over 20) my mother and father atried to `convert` my maternal grandmother - and the arguement she always would use was

I don`t want to live forever..................How dull!....

it worked ....she died 8 yrs ago...with resolve she would never be a JW...........a great woman!

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

I graduated from high school in 1968 and didn't go to college because of this BS. Thursday at 4:00pm I will graduate from Arizona Sate University at the age of 53.

• Perry
    Perry

CONGRATULATINS CHRIS!

What did you study?

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

Thansk! My major is Spanish. I plan to do my masters in Spanish linguistics.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Congrats Chris!!!! My (JW) mom also went to college when she was in her 50's about 6 years ago. I guess she's a more "progressive" JW.

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

That's interesting. I'm always surprised when a jdub goes to college, but that's really surprising. She must be able to ignore comments that other jdubs make. I'm sure there were some who had things to say.

• Scully
    Scully

You still get JWs who taunt other JWs who are enrolled in college or making plans to attend college.

When I was making plans to go to nursing school (I decided I wanted to go back in 93, started classes in 95 and graduated in 98), I don't remember a single word of encouragement from other JWs about my choice. It was mostly insulting, demoralizing, haughty, and unfavorable commentary about how I was wasting my time going back to school, when I could be out there peddling WT slop for free, since "Armageddon is right around the corner". Now that I'm on the other side (and have had some psychiatric nursing training *LOL*) it's obvious that all the flak from JWs was rooted in a deep sense of jealousy and envy. They could see me improving my lot in life, and realized that it would make them look bad.... so they had to dump abuse on me and my family to make themselves feel better.

As I was reflecting on the almost 5 years since graduating, I tried to imagine where I'd be if I had listened to that "loving advice" the way I originally did when I was fresh out of high school. It wasn't a pretty picture. No freaking wonder I was so depressed as a JW.....

Love, Scully

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

When I finished high school in 1979, I wanted to go to university. However, no one from my congregation had ever gone to college of any sort. So I settled for a technical school course in computer programming.

Years later, another boy from my home congregation came up to me and thanked me for going to college. He said that my going (and my father was an elder) opened the door for him to go.

postscript: years later, I went back through correspondence and, after nine years of studying, got a CMA.

• Buster
    Buster

I surprised some folks that last time I posted this, so lets go again:

When I was about to graduate High School, I asked the P.O. in my congregation to write a recommendation to college. He asked me what I wanted it to say. I told him, and he delivered the one-page written note the next Thrusday night. - This was in 1976.

I went to college, some others followed (there were many of use in our age bracket), and no one ever said a damn word.

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

That makes me sick! It makes me mad! I was 9 years old at that time!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit