Theocratic Ministry School change

by Nosferatu 19 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Wow, I've only been out for less than a year and already so many changes. . it's kind of weird. . .

• Matty
    Matty

It's the "settings" change that will really rock the boat. No more "Talking to a sister after a meeting", there is a list of specific settings that the sista' has to tick off one by one!

• PleasureFix
    PleasureFix

in the five years i attended meetings i never gave a talk once... and i'm so glad i never wasted my time... all part of the mental programming.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I would like to think that the practice giving talks helped me in the long run with talking in front of people without fear.

JH- They will find a way to fill those minutes, for sure. Our meetings NEVER finished early.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Yes, I can just remember now, the anxiety and nerves building up to a No. 2 talk after which I was given loving guidance and pointers to improve on. These, of course, were readily picked up on by my step father who would then lecture and shout at me for not achieving perfection. When he would start swearing, I did not even stop to think how ironic it was that he had lost his temper over how I CAME ACROSS VERBALLY in a talk.

Bastard.

• COMF
    COMF

The school was one of the few good things about meetings. In the two speech classes I took in college, I excelled because I was used to the exposure and the audience, knew the various points to watch for, had practice with audience contact, and basically breezed through the first one. The second, Business and Professional Speaking, branched out into other areas besides simple speechmaking, such as stand-up comedy, reading interpretation, and job interviews. But the society's TMS laid a fine groundwork.

• Mulan
    Mulan

The most ridiculous setting for a sister's talk was this one: "Going over my talk with a sister, before the meeting." Duh!

It seems they may actually be trying to make the talks field service applicable. I never understood giving a talk to a believer. Why?

• PurpleV
    PurpleV
    Does this mean that the meetings will finish 3 minutes earlier

Nuh uh, the last-ditch-preaching moment closing prayer will now last 3 extra minutes.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Jourles (Hi, Jourles ) wrote:

The final week of the school in the month, you will be reading a section of the Watchtower the same way as the bible reading. They are putting more emphasis on the reading this time around

More Watchtower, Less Bible. Jehovah forbid that the lack of education of its adherents be readily apparent at the Public Meeting on Sunday to "studies". Yet the equation of the Bible Reading with the Watchtower Reading will not fail to be noticed by your average "dubbie", who will have reinforced once again the teaching that the GB is God's mouthpiece on earth. <sigh> Sickening.

out

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

"Going over my talk with a sister, before the meeting."

From what I recall, this was actually discouraged by the Society. So often though, sisters would find it unfathomable what on earth to do with a piece of narrative from a publication, that they'd fall back on the easiest avaiable which was the one quoted above.

Always seemed to me that the sisters got the worst of the TMS. They had the most difficult talks. Mrs Ozzie was always lambasting me abouit that. I think she's right.

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit