What's Right about "Right?"

by Farkel 82 Replies latest jw friends

• ianao
    ianao

Here's one for all of you...

How about Logic existing because thinking brains need to use it.

How about God existing because logical brains need a beginning.

And how about the above being a side effect of having the ability to respond to intangible neurological stimuli that "dumb animals" don't have to worry about? (i.e. a thinking instinct)?

Then again, some "dumb animals" are smarter than others. One wonders what a dolphin's concept of a creator is, since it's conciously(sp!) aware of it's human friends.

• mommy
    mommy

Hey all
    I just wanted to bring this back up to the top. I am very interested in others opinions on this.
    wendy

• onacruse
    onacruse

In view of Farkel's recent change of status , I thought perhaps it would be in order to bring this thread (one of Fark's favs) back to the top.

This dilemna reminds me of Plato's Euthyphro. A few excerpts:

Soc. Then, my friend, I remark with surprise that you have not answered the question which I asked. For I certainly did not ask you to tell me what action is both pious and impious: but now it would seem that what is loved by the gods is also hated by them. And therefore, Euthyphro, in thus chastising your father you may very likely be doing what is agreeable to Zeus but disagreeable to Cronos or Uranus, and what is acceptable to Hephaestus but unacceptable to Here, and there may be other gods who have similar differences of opinion.

Soc. And the gods are in the same case, if as you assert they quarrel about just and unjust, and some of them say while others deny that injustice is done among them. For surely neither God nor man will ever venture to say that the doer of injustice is not to be punished?

Soc. Well then, my dear friend Euthyphro, do tell me, for my better instruction and information, what proof have you that in the opinion of all the gods a servant who is guilty of murder, and is put in chains by the master of the dead man, and dies because he is put in chains before he who bound him can learn from the interpreters of the gods what he ought to do with him, dies unjustly; and that on behalf of such an one a son ought to proceed against his father and accuse him of murder. How would you show that all the gods absolutely agree in approving of his act? Prove to me that they do, and I will applaud your wisdom as long as I live.

Soc. Well then, my dear friend Euthyphro, do tell me, for my better instruction and information, what proof have you that in the opinion of all the gods a servant who is guilty of murder, and is put in chains by the master of the dead man, and dies because he is put in chains before he who bound him can learn from the interpreters of the gods what he ought to do with him, dies unjustly; and that on behalf of such an one a son ought to proceed against his father and accuse him of murder. How would you show that all the gods absolutely agree in approving of his act? Prove to me that they do, and I will applaud your wisdom as long as I live.

Soc. But they will be sure to listen if they find that you are a good speaker. There was a notion that came into my mind while you were speaking; I said to myself: "Well, and what if Euthyphro does prove to me that all the gods regarded the death of the serf as unjust, how do I know anything more of the nature of piety and impiety? for granting that this action may be hateful to the gods, still piety and impiety are not adequately defined by these distinctions, for that which is hateful to the gods has been shown to be also pleasing and dear to them." And therefore, Euthyphro, I do not ask you to prove this; I will suppose, if you like, that all the gods condemn and abominate such an action. But I will amend the definition so far as to say that what all the gods hate is impious, and what they love pious or holy; and what some of them love and others hate is both or neither. Shall this be our definition of piety and impiety?

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/euthyfro.html

Craig

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Onacruse:

Yes! This is totally what Euthyphro is all about! Plato rocks!

And Farkel explained it brilliantly too (Farkel rocks too!), demonstrating the illogic of believing in a source of absolute morality.

Expatbrit

• Farkel
    Farkel

onacruse,

: This dilemna reminds me of Plato's Euthyphro. A few excerpts:

Who do you think inspired me to write that? (Jan H. was actually the one who inspired me to take a close look at the Socrate's dialogue with Euthrphro.)

Farkel

• onacruse
    onacruse

I KNEW IT!!!

Take off Farkel's mask, and underneath we find a little Plato!

Craig

PS: Was Plato a D-F?

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Take off Farkel's mask, and underneath we find a little Plato!

lol! Actually, all Plato did was record the dialogues. It was Socrates who engaged in them.

But I'm sure you knew that. Did you know that Aristotle was the one responsible for formalizing and systemetizing the rules of logic?

Farkel

• onacruse
    onacruse

Lest this get lost in the wash.

This was a very learning phase for me, and though I am still learning, I believe that I have surpassed my masters, and now am the pupil teaching the masters.

roflmao

edit to add: It feels good to finally answer Doug's question...even if it is about 5 years late!

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

God is love (1 John 4:8)

Love is never wrong, always right.

God is never wrong always right.

Therefore, all the statements you made (below) are correct, they are not mutually exclusive:

An act is right if God approves it.
    An act is approved by God because it is right.
    All acts commanded by God are right.

Because God is what is right, love.

"Right" exists, just as Love exists, and God has made known what is right and what is wrong.

BA- Question answered.

• onacruse
    onacruse

BA, all I can say is that others far more fit than I to respond to your last post will have a field day, if they so choose to respond.

For myself, I will only say that you obviously don't have a clue about the context and content of anything that was discussed in this thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit