JW.com Book Club

by Surreptitious 32 Replies latest social entertainment

• COMF
    COMF
    "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues"

Haven't read this (didn't even know it was a book). I bought the sound track, by k.d. lang (that's right, no capitals) and must say it is great music. It runs the gamut, but most of it is dreamy, pseudo-new-age stuff. Don't let this stop you; k.d. shows the rest of them how to do it right!

So, on the strength of the sound track, I watched the movie. Wow, talk about forgettable...

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

I am usually reading four or five books at any one time. Right now it's The Simple Truth, by David Baldacci among others.

I recently read Lion's Blood, by Steven Barnes. It's an alternate history in which America is colonized by blacks, who own white slaves. I hear it's not selling well in the south.

Just read Orson Scott Card's Shadow Puppets, the latest in the Ender's Game series. (They're finally making a movie based on the book... actually it will combine Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow into one movie, I believe.)

Some technical/nerd books.

Any fans of Robin Hobb out there? I went through a phase where I was sick of fantasy, but her Assassin's Quest and Liveship Traders series' are very well-written; not a lot of action, but very good characters. She just released Fool's Errand, book four of six in the AQ series.

And I just finished re-reading The Two Towers--just in time.

Hmmm

• Mum
    Mum

I am reading Pepita by Vita Sackville-West. It's a great family saga about how a beautiful Spanish-gypsy woman and an English lord end up together, as told by their granddaughter. Any of the books about the Sackville-Wests are fascinating to me.

I loved How Green Was My Valley.

Wayne Dyer's writings have helped me tremendously to get a grip after exiting the JW's.

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray is a classic for good reason, and it's hilarious!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit