JW.com Book Club

by Surreptitious 32 Replies latest social entertainment

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

I just finished re-reading "A Brave New World".

Have you read it? If so, any thoughts?

What books have you read that you'd like to recommend?

*Syrup scootches down into his cozy seat by a crackling fire and flips another page.*

• riz
    riz

good idea for a thread, Syrup!

i just finished 'Just Checking' by Emily Colas. it's about her struggle with obsessive-compulsive disorder. she has a brilliant sense of humor. it's hilarious; especially for a book that you would think would be anything but.

i'm also a huge David Sedaris fan and i'm currently reading 'Naked.' I received all of his books for my birthday and i'm working my way through them. he's amazing. i would highly recommend anything that he has authored.

riz

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Im currently re examining (for the second time) David Remnicks "Lenins tomb" . It won the pulitzer prize (none fiction)in 1994. Chiefly its about the reopening of the history books in Russia under Gorbachev and how the revelations of the TRUTH of Soviet history (rather than the whitewashed version presented by the party) blew the Soviet empire all to hell.

• meadow77
    meadow77

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn By Betty Smith

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

Yes Riz, David Sedaris is great! In fact, this is the wrong thread, but he just might be my favorite "person of alternative sexual persuasion"! Well, one of them anyway.

Refiner, "Lenin's Tomb" sounds like an interesting read.

Meadow, what is "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" about? This tree doesn't have bands on it does it??? hehe

"A Brave New World" is a great book, but I hate the part where they turn on the electric floor under the infants.

• Xena
    Xena

I am in the middle of "the Law of Love" by Laura Esquivel......

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne
    I am in the middle of "the Law of Love" by Laura Esquivel......

I would like to read that when you're done

~Beck~

• Xena
    Xena

Hey now this could be fun...you want me to mail it to you when I am done Beck????...

• COMF
    COMF
    "A Brave New World"

He's coming! Our Ford's coming!
    A gramme is better than a damn.

Good stuff!

On my bookshelf, as yet pristine but slated for absorption directly, are Steven Hawking's Universe and Stonehenge Decoded.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

*raises eyebrows three times quickly at the thought of riz reading naked*

I've been assigned a couple of the works of Tom Robbins. I read alot, but only information (I do like my info written well, but if it's not, well hey, I still have the info); most fiction makes me feel as if a bad used car salesman is trying to persuade me to buy his vision.

*shiver* I feel vulnerable opening my heart and mind to Tom Robbins. Hold me riz!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit