Can You Really Have The "Christmas Spirit&...

by minimus 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

: If you've ever been a Witness, is it possible to experience the true "Christmas spirit"?

Sometimes you ask good questions, but only sometimes. How do I know they're good questions? Because good questions are questions that I like, that's how!

After having been out for thirty years and after having spent many a Christmas with my children, I never really got into the "Christmas spirit" until about 5 years ago. My girlfriend was WAY into Christmas. She started her Christmas shopping in February and was finished by July. She had enough Christmas adornments in her garage to satisfy yer average Christmas parade, including complete miniature villages with lights and everything. She had every Christmas record CD and tape that was ever produced. She just GLOWED around that time of year. She hired a Santa Claus to visit her home and brought in lots of little kids and their parents for Santa's visit.

At first I thought she was nuts. Hell, she wasn't even religious! After several seasons of this, I began to get into the mood myself, and even now I love the Holiday season. People are nicer and friendlier this time of year, and when people wish me a Merry Christmas I know they really mean it. I now know that those Salvation Army people who ring those bells at stores give 93% of all of that money back to people in need. They do a wonderful service to folks and they do it out of love for their fellow humans. Dubs only produce profits for the Watchtower Printing Corporation(tm) and benefit no one but the Watchtower Corporation. They are a miserable lot who are only interested in themselves and saving their own sorry asses from their Killer God(tm).

I regret all those years I was a dub and said "Thank You" when people genuinely wished me a Merry Christmas. I was such an idiot, but no more! Thank God: NO MORE!

Farkel

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

There are really two kinds of Christmas...The religous event....and the celebration of gift exchange and merriment among friends and family--the Santa Claus thing.

I cannot get into the "religous event" of Christmas. I don't believe the words of the bible are necessarily the words of "god". Since I take issue with so much, I can't even really believe that "Jesus story" is not corrupted as well. Although I do believe that Jesus was an enlightened being sent here as an emisary among humans. And, Christmas is taken from Mass for Christ, so I'm definitely "out-a-there".

As far as the celebration of gift exchange and merriment among friends and family, I see nothing wrong with that, but since I've "been out", it is rather just an artificial approach to a materialistic rush to spend money we don't have, ruin our credit card balances, drink too much, eat too much, make promises to ourselves and others that we will find difficult to keep, and set us up for stress and depression in the coming year, trying to get "out from under".

Of course, everyone says that Christmas is what you make of it, and the bottom line is that this is so true. It's a matter of personal choice. I don't think I've ever had the "Christmas Spirit", except in the couple years prior to my baptism as a JW. In those days, I really BELIEVED and it gave me peace and hope. The JW's effectively removed that from my life, and since then, as an adult, I've just had to face the facts. There really isn't a Santa Claus!

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

YES!

As a witness, I always felt guilty when people said *Merry Christmas* Because I WANTED to say it back.

You know, Christmas really isn't just for kids. True, kids get more presents but the feelings I get this time of year just make me feel all warm inside. I love the mood, smells, lights. I just love everything about this time of year. The only thing I dislike is taking down the tree. It takes to much time.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

This time of the year adds a little excitement to life, a break in the monotony, so to speak. That was sorely lacking in Jehovahism.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have allowed myself recently to enjoy this time of the year more. There really is no reason not to step back for a few weeks, and slow down a bit, and enjoy friends and family.

Edited by - freedom96 on 15 December 2002 12:32:45

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

The first Christmas I was out I could not get into the spirit of it (We had only been out 3 months). The second and third christmas I was out I got more into the spirit I bought gifts for people still no tree or anything and RT refused to exchange Christmas gifts, (He told me I don't celebrate Christmas) . This year our fourth Christmas we have a tree and have the spirit in full swing and will be exchanging gifts with each other. I think it takes time and some people get the spirit and others don't. Its hard to jump right in when you have been told your whole life how evil Christmas is.

Lilacs-I would always say You too to the people at the door. I mainly worked with my little brother or sister in service so no one knew but I felt bad if I started preaching to them on how bad their holiday was.

Edited by - Scarlet on 15 December 2002 14:17:9

Edited by - Scarlet on 15 December 2002 14:18:29

• mamashel
    mamashel

I have been trying really hard to get into the christmas spirit. I dont know what is wrong, because when i was a child, i wasnt a jw, and christmas was one of the biggest days of our lives. Now it just doesnt seem to be so wonderful any more. Since my husband was raised jw, he really doesnt get into it yet, and that probably has alot to do with it. But i am trying to make it really nice for the kids. Maybe if hubby would be alittle more into it, it would be nicer, but that will probably just take some time. He's only been out for almost a year, and still feels the guilt trip, and thinks he's doing something wrong.

Oh, well, i've got a nice present for him and i think that will help alot.

mamashel

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

My wife can and does, (I.M.O) and much better than me. (As I have not been raised and fed in the JW trough and she was) She is a much better example of a good human being than I am. I learn a lot from her every day. She worries about herself and lets the world save itself. (As she should) She creates her happiness and ours, and she lets others do the same. She's a good example for living a good life. I'm glad she lets me be part of it.

Can a JW experience the Spirit of Christmas? Well, the Grinch did and I think that there is hope for everyone.

• Robdar
    Robdar

My answer is yes. A couple of years after I left the JW's, I had a baby and my (now ex) husband and I got totally into Christmas. We received so much joy sneaking out to shop for each other's presents, hiding them and wrapping them on the sly. I even hired the guy who played Santa at the radio stations I worked at to come to my house and visit my son. Even though we didn't have lots of money, we always found ways to have a fabulous holiday.

Then, the day following Christmas, we would go to my mom and dad's to celebrate "family day" with my JW family.

I have never had a problem with the Christmas spirit. JW's have no idea what they are missing.

Have a joyous Christmas and a splendid new year.

Love,

Robyn

• minimus
    minimus

Well then, MERRY CHRISTMAS and have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit