Ex Elders Aren't The Only Jerks With Attitudes

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel
    rebel

Of course there are good and bad in all ranks. But elders are supposed to be our servants - there to help and support us spiritually - not kick us when we're down. The best elder is an ex-elder!

xxR

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie, I totally agree with you. My point,and I'm not sure that it's clear, is that, just because you were an elder or elderette at one time, it doesn't make you a jerk now. Just because you were a Witness at one time, it doesn't mean that you carry the Witnesses agenda forever. To say that anytime you say something, that it should be dismissed or ridiculed because of your past standing is ridiculous. On the other hand, there are those that act just like a "typical JW" whether they are Witnesses or not. They have every bad trait a Witness can have. And usually, they're catty and self-righteous.....btw, I enjoyed your latest WT. comments. Did you change the title slightly or did I get confused?

• blondie
    blondie

Okay, minimus, I agree with that otherwise there is no hope for me. I will never be able to stop being a pain in the rear.

It will take time for all us to shed the bad thinking and behavior we picked up in the confines of the WTS. I have been trying to adjust my vocabulary, i.e., eliminate "the truth" from it for starters. It ain't easy folks after almost 50 years.

As to the title, do you mean the title of the WT article, or the title of my review, "Comments you will not hear at the "date" WT study"?

I have been greatly under the weather lately (an operation may be in the offing), and have been under the influence of painkillers.

I will bring it up for those early morning meeting goers. I am going to parade my illness today. I really look like crap.

Blondie

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    The best elder is an ex-elder!

imo, only sometimes. I think it is human nature to get used to the privilege and perks that go along with position. It might be a mistake to assume that just because an elder abandons position that he will be able to abandon the attitude that went along with that position as easily. After years of service it just seems that those attitudes become a part of who a person is and for some it could take a long time to change.

There is often something u can still perceive in men that used to be elders. Imo, the biggest "identifying mark" (to use a WT word) is that they are not very open to "correction" or have difficulty admitting mistakes or altering a viewpoint to consider another view. Considering they have been groomed by the WT to be above accepting counsel from anyone except a few of the elite, it is hardly surprising.

Path

(interesting comments Blondie)

• minimus
    minimus

Comments You Will Hear vs. Comments You Will Not Hear.....I hope you feel better Blondie. Keep up the good work. You're one of my favorite posters.

• minimus
    minimus

Path, are you trying to give ME counsel or suggestions? I agree with your comments about those in position. But the truth of the matter is, that for the longest time, when people would say to me, "You're an elder, so you should know..", I would say, "I know nothing more than you. Being an elder DOESN'T mean I have more holy spirit, you know.".....That would always make them look puzzled. I hated judging people and being put in the position of feeling this was my God-given duty. I HATED being an elder after a while. I hate it , too, when I see a broad stroke painted on any person that belonged to a group.Everyone is different. We are not under any restriction .We are not so unified, that we can't be different. We are realizing our God-given freedom!

• rebel
    rebel

Minimus,

You were a very unusual elder - I have never met one that admitted he didn't know any more than I did - I wish we had one that was like you in our congregation.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Maybe, it's because being a jerk has nothing necessarily to do with being a former elder.

Like some posters we know who start endless meaningless threads, no doubt.

: Some people are malcontents, no matter what!

And some people are just inane. Do you have a mirror handy?

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 15 December 2002 9:16:39

• blondie
    blondie

Hi Farkel, my favorite piano player. I'm starting to think you like minimus more than me because I'm only an ex-elderette.

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

Farkel, when I saw you posted, I said, "oh-oh". Phew....it's not as bad as I thought...P.S. ...my mirror's broken again.....btw, you forget the S.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit