Judas Iscariot

by nativenyr23 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nativenyr23
    nativenyr23

Was watching a deal on TV last night (discovery channel, history channel, can't remember)....and it reminded me of something I've always thought about.

Was Judas really a bad guy? Should he be condemned for doing something that HAD to be done? I mean, after all, had he not "betrayed his master".....then Jesus wouldn't have died, right? Judas had to do it otherwise prophesy would not have been fulfilled. So in this case, Judas was the scapegoat. Imagine if you were born JUDAS...does that mean you wouldn't have had a chance since you were "destined" to be the bad guy? Doesn't seem fair, does it. I mean, yeah, he betrayed him, but he HAD TO....otherwise, the prophesy wouldn't have been fulfilled.....

uhg. makes my brain hurt. but i've always wondered about this.

what do you guys think? interested in your thoughts.

• Brummie
    Brummie

I see it like this...God foreknew that Judas would betray Christ, however that doesnt make God responsible for Judas actions, Judas remains responsible and is a bad guy.

For instance, I foreknow that if my son puts his hand in the fire he is going to get burned, I warn him but he is rebellious, so if he does go ahead and put his hand in the fire is it my fault?

I also foreknow that my cousin is a drug addict and will steal to ease the urge, I can fortell that he will steal but does that make me responsible because I predicted his actions before he did them? God foretold Judas actions and the consequences....does that make God responsible and unfair?

The way I see it, foreknowledge doesnt mean you set up someone to suffer.

what do you guys think? interested in your thoughts.

I only shared that because you asked for opinions, thats the way I see it but am open for correction.

Brummie

• metatron
    metatron

I once read a theory from a psychic/channeler that made a lot of sense.

She asserted that Judas was obsessed with Jesus being a king - and overthrowing
    Gentile dominance.
    She claimed that Judas was trying to force Jesus into revealing himself and seizing
    power as king, using his miraculous power. Thus, his betrayal was done to 'make'
    Jesus take action, not to harm him.

metatron

• nativenyr23
    nativenyr23

Brummie...thanks for your thoughts.

but my question remains, let's say Judas changed his mind, did the good thing and DIDN'T betray him. then the whole sacrifice thing would have been unravelled and EVERYTHING would have been screwed up, no?

I have issues with the sacrifice thing too. why the hell didn't god just wipe the slate clean and be done with it.

• Brummie
    Brummie

but my question remains, let's say Judas changed his mind, did the good thing and DIDN'T betray him. then the whole sacrifice thing would have been unravelled and EVERYTHING would have been screwed up, no?

nativenyr23 if someone believes in God being all knowing then he foreknew that Judas wouldnt change his mind, thats why he didnt have a plan B :)...imho that still doesnt make God responsible by setting Judas up in some way.

Your questions are valid, question number 2 I will have to leave to someone else has I have to go off line now, kids are coming home from school.

Will check back later

Brummie

• siegswife
    siegswife

I've wondered about that too. If Judas had a change of heart, who would have set the wheels in motion? He obviously felt bad about it since he committed suicide soon after.

Think about Pilate too. He didn't think Jesus deserved death, and he had the power to prevent it, yet he allowed it by washing his hands of the whole mess. Revelation 2:13 says of him: "...even in the days of Antipas (Pilate), my witness, the faithful one, who was killed by your side where Satan is dwelling."

Judas and Pilate had to do what they did (or didn't do, as the case may be).

• Rogue_Protecter
    Rogue_Protecter

nativenyr23,

Was on history channel ancient mysterys....Saw it to was really interesting It brought out alot of interesting things..

Brummie

Was he realy a bad guy or did jesus give him an assignment..The apostles were loyal to him..so why would he turn on jesus..good it be that jesus gave him that assignment?..and Judas didn't know what the outcome would be?..Or maybe Judas did know what the outcome would be thats why he hung himself so that he would die with his king as a loyal servant?....hmmmmm

• Brummie
    Brummie

Rogue thats an interesting question, I would say Jesus gave him permission to do it "Now go and do..." cant remember the exact wording, but assignment? hmmm

Brummie (must get off line class)

• acsot
    acsot

nativenyr23: I've wondered the exact same thing! Man, this is a great place! I'm not so alone anymore! Unfortunately, I have no clue as to the answer. Just questions tumbling round and round ...

Two posts in a row, I'm really getting into this!

• Rogue_Protecter
    Rogue_Protecter

I am kinda curiouse as to why it was so hard to find Jesus myself..I mean wasn't he preaching and having large crowds of people listening??And why would Judas have had to identify Jesus by kissing him??Wasnt Jesus known by the people??And since that was there way of greeting each other then couldn't that have just been Judas telling him "Ok Big J I did it now what dude?" or something like that ..

I have issues with the sacrifice thing too. why the hell didn't god just wipe the slate clean and be done with it.
    Well nativenyr23 because Adam was perfect and there had to be another perfect sacrifice and that was Jesus..I mean come on now if he woulda just wiped it clean the bible wouldn't have been nearly as interesting and we wouldn't have Christmas or the memorial silly....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit