I was once an angel on a tree.......please read...

by Jesika 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Jesika
    Jesika

This was inspired by the story freedom96 posted earlier.

I was in foster care and was placed there right before Halloween. I celebrated my first Halloween, and Thanksgiving.

Then it was X-mas time. Since I had runaway from an abusive home, I only left with the clothes on my back. My parents sent some clothes, but they were the ones I would never wear and I was embarressed to go to school because of it.

My foster mom took me x-mas shopping since it was my first x-mas she bought me almost everything I wanted. I bought clothes and shoes for school and 1 tape (a single) with my fav song at the time.

A day later all the foster girls (there were about 8 of us, about 14 people living in the home) were taken to the runaway shelter where we had been transfered from.

It was there that we filled out a piece of paper in the shape of an angel, we asked for what we wanted for x-mas. I again asked for clothes (since my foster mom had limited $ I didn't get alot of clothes from her, but was excited to get anything).

I asked my foster mom why the paper was shaped that way. She smiled at me and told me I was going to be an angle on a tree!!!!!!!!!! I looked very confused, since I didn't understand what the hell she was talking about. Then she explained-------" Jesika, you know those trees in the mall that have all the angels with kids who are in need at x-mas time? Well, you will be one of them."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I thought there was no way someone would pic my angel on the tree.

Come X-mas morning, (I already knew what I was getting since I did my own shopping and helped with all the wrapping) I saw a couple packages I didn't recognize. They had my name on them. I couldn't figure out where they came from, I knew it wasn't family.

So, I opened them up and it was what I had put on my angel. There was someone out there who had picked ME!!! I started to cry and it really touched me that someone would take the time to make x-mas special for me. I got what I asked for and an even cooler t-shirt then I had asked for.

For those of you who can (I can't but I will try next yr), take a look at the angel trees you pass by and see if you can't make a child's x-mas this yr. I know how much it meant to me.

My mom did that this yr and I don't think I ever told her I was one of those children on an angel tree. I guess I will have to call her and tell her. When she told me she was shopping for her angel, I didn't even have to ask what she meant.

Cause I was once AN ANGEL ON A TREE.

Merry Christmas Everyone,

Jesika

• Gary1914
    Gary1914

Heart warming story, Jess. It made me feel all warm inside. I'm going to go and buy a present for an angel now. Thanks.

• Jesika
    Jesika

Thanx Gary.

I know when you go to get the present and wrap it you will feel warm inside as well.

Love,

Jesika

• freedom96
    freedom96

It is with stories like this that remind us, that yes, the holidays can be a special time. Of course, we can always be giving all year, but here are a few weeks where we can be reminded to try harder to be kind to the people around you.

Great story!

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

What a wonderful experiance for you and everyone Jesika.......everytime I read one of your posts I think you must have always been a very brave and yet caring person.

So much for one person to endure and yet you are standing so strong!

I have never seen those angels on trees at the mall here but, some years I have donated toys for the "Toys For Tots" The Marines sponsor here. Even when I was JW I did this and when asked why...I would say I couldn't imagine a child who knows nothing about Jehovah having to do without on X-mas day and feeling so sad and alone thinking this was God's Holiday and he cared nothing for them. To ease my conscience I would put a small my book of bible stories in each boxed toy.

This year though Thanx 2 you Jes I am going to see if I can find an Angel on a tree and make his or her day a special one.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

*runs to Jesika,,,,,, full blast, trips over a shoe, regains upright postion, continues to run,, finds the dear sweet angel Jesika......... squeezes her so tight with many hugs*

God , girl what a story,,,,,,,, you made me cry,,,,,,,,, but it isnt the first time I have cried today over what others have posted.

I am so happy and full of love for all of you,,,,,,,,,,, I don't care if JW's were right and we all died in Armeggedon, I would still choose to die right by you all.

Jesika, I will do that next year, have a special littel angel, just for you,,,,,,,, and maybe I can make some little girl or boy , happy for a day. There is nothing more precious to me than a child.

Hugsssss to the little girl Jesika, and to the wonderful woman she turned out to be....... love ya, Dede

• JeffT
    JeffT

Every year we put up an angel tree in the lobby of our building for the tenants to select gifts. The presents go to children in the Union Gospel Mission shelter. I've never seen it take longer than two days for all the angels to be taken. Every year we end up filling a vacant office with the presents.

Thanks for posting your story.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

She smiled at me and told me I was going to be an angle on a tree!!!!!!!!!!

I bet you were [ahem!] acute angle!

Seriously tho, doesn't that make Christmas seem more special now? What a great story Jessika, thanks for sharing!

Mike.

• detective
    detective

I just passed an angel tree earlier this week. It had children's names but it also had the names of the elderly and mentally challenged. Sixty eight year old Mary wanted a portable radio. A portable radio! Reading those wish lists...

It's amazing.

• Jesika
    Jesika

Utop--------Thank you for your kind words. I also thank you for wanting to find an angel. It really meant alot to me that yr and I know it will to the one you find, if you choose to as well.

Lyin------- You are too sweet. I too was almost in tears with some of the posts today, that is what inspired me to write the story that made me cry so long ago.

Ben-------Thank you.

Jeff--------That is wonderful to hear. Nice to know people do still care.

Detective------I didn't know that, well just goes to show there are more than just children in need.

I posted this because it comes from the heart, but also I did this because you always hear of the ones giving to charity but not about the ones who recieve it. I just wanted everyone to know that there is a couple out there (that is the only info I was given on the ones who bought my presents) that I wish I could thank but I never knew who they were.

This is my way of saying Thank you to them by spreading the word and hoping others will do as they did, and make a real difference to someone they don't even know (if you are able).

Love,

Jesika

Edited by - jesika on 12 December 2002 21:40:24

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit