Recovering from shunning

by Elsewhere 46 Replies latest jw friends

• wednesday
    wednesday

I awoke this am lying in my bed, thinking of how many people i actually knew and could call, or who would come to my funeral.I thought about how few of my family is i ever have contact with.Most are not jw, but my grandfather and mom managed to alienate all the family so i have hardly any contact with what few frelatives i have left. I even got up and made a list to my realtives, and i intend to contact them one by one and try to restablish a relationship. i have an ODD situation though with my worldy relatives, most know a lot about JW and know i should not be talking to them. I can think of one right now who would get on the phone and call the jw's and tell them anything i said. So i cna't confide n my relatives. After all these years i cna't , without explantion just call and want to come visit.

tex is right, make a new life but keep the door open for your parents. I am finding making a new life difficult b/c i have sort of become a hermit and lost a lot of social skills and am afraid to trust people. I do thinnk some thearpy would help a lot. It's not a sign of weakness to get therapy.

One thing i know for sure,things change, and if u don't change with them , you'll be living in a strange world that does not exist.

• yumbby
    yumbby

Wow! what an amazing thread! I don't post very often, having gone a year without internet, but I feel that this is one of the most helpful threads ever. I think we all struggle so much with the loss of our family. I have to say Billygoat, your post really hit home with me. So much so I am going to print it and put it on my wall for awhile.

Elswhere. I find your anger toward your family encouraging actually. I think when I started getting angry for myself, that was the beginning of healing. When you realize your worth and begin to think "how dare they treat me that way!" or whatever your thinking to yourself. You have to be careful not to get to wrapped up in the revenge thing though because it ultimately bites you on the butt. My husband and I both have had to find "family" made of friends that appreciate us and love us for who we are, not what we believe in religiously. Pretty soon I think you will begin to feel sorry for your family and grieve for THEIR loss, and realize that you where the one who had to make the hard decisions and feel proud of yourself for not allowing yourself to be one of the mindless sheep. I to struggle with the thoughts of hurting myself to make them hurt, but that is just a fantasy. Because really, they will go back to their little homogenized world and never once question their part in your pain. They would just pity you for being disallusioned, or for your separation from "jehovahs love", or whatever cop out phrase they are using these days.

many hugs,

yumbby

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

(((((((((((Elsewhere)))))))))))

The only way is THROUGH. You are facing this head on and getting to the other side. Keep going... There are lots of people who love you...and you have some very wise ones holding lanterns along the way.

XW

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    I did a search on Google with the same key words. All I got were stories of how people were shunned... but nothing about recovery.

Hi (((elsewhere))),

Personally, for me anyway, I realized the recovery process is very much like any other recovery process when betrayed by those closest to you, especially when it involves someone youre supposed to be emotionally safe and secure with. When a mother or father turns their back on you and dismisses you as, not even a member of your own family anymore, the void it opens up is incomprehensible even when it becomes a part of you life.

My life has been full of betrayal. All kinds. But the one thing that seemed to be "the norm" in all cases was "anger" and depending on how a "particular act of betrayal" affected me emotionally, regardless of how it affected me physically, had a lot to do with how long I was angry or bitter about it.

Being shunned by people you "know" or neighbors or even internet personalities wouldn't, or shouldn't, have the emotional impact on us as being shunned by those who are a part of, not only our identity but, our history and even our future. It isn't natural for entire families to turn their backs on one of their own for anything less then committing some reprehensible act against another. When a person is "disowned" by his/her "loved one" brothers/sisters/parents for committing the crime of smoking or even "thinking" how can there be another way to deal with it other then anger?

The severity of the "shunning" and what the exact reasons for it are, probably have a major baring on how long we feel angry before we find the right place to move on to some other emotion.

I was very angry about some things more so then others for years. I was hurt for probably a lot more years then I was angry. I was angry with my dad for at least 25 years, and prior to that I was hurt as far back as I can remember. I only let go of that particular case of angry and pissed about 2 years ago. So I carried that around for the majority of my life. I wish I could go back and unload it sooner, but I can't.

I have a hard time believing anyone ever really heals from that. I think we just eventually find a fitting place to file it away so it doesnt drag us down. I do believe that we recover from the anger though, hopefully when we no longer need it.

wednesday

I awoke this am lying in my bed, thinking of how many people i actually knew and could call, or who would come to my funeral.

I've done that. I hate it when I have thoughts about death. I've even had the thought of...what if I died, perhaps 10 years from now, and my kids lived far away? Would who ever found me notify them? Or would the city just scoop me up and dispose of me, my kids not knowing I was even gone for weeks or months? I think about the masses of people in my life that have come and gone, many of them I thought would always be there and now I have a hard time remembering many of their names it's been so long since Ive seen or heard from them. I've been to a lot of funerals. Out of all of the funerals I've attended, more then I can count right now, I don't know that any of them would attend mine if they were alive. I would guess about 1 out of every 10. Lets see I've probably attended at least 25 funerals in my life so 2 1/2 people would probably show up at mine. HAhahahahaha. The grave diggers! LOL!

I'll make a deal with you. I'll go to your funeral if you go to mine.

plum

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Pretty soon I think you will begin to feel sorry for your family and grieve for THEIR loss...

Yumbby, this is absolutely wonderful! I think I'm at this point right now. Instead of feeling sorry for myself (which I've felt for years and years!) I really feel sad for them. Why? Because I'm a 31 year old woman that has accomplished a lot in her little life. I'm compassionate, smart, kind, funny and an all-around good person. If I had me for a daughter, I'd be proud. It's just too bad they can't experience me for who I am today and not some 19 year old kid who made a couple bad decisions. (And that was 12 years ago!)

When you're blind, you can only experience some things through the eyes of others. Blind sheep. That's exactly what my parents are. They can only experience me through the eyes of the Watchtower - an unforgivable sinner. I used to think it was just MY loss. But it's not. It's their loss too!

Andi

• onacruse
    onacruse

So many have said so much here, I really think the only thing I can offer is:

We never know what's around that corner, elsewhere. Whether it's family, or friends, or lovers...we just never ever know.

This may sound simplistic, but...

Recovery is living, and living is recovery.

Craig

Edited by - onacruse on 15 December 2002 3:42:4

• Lullaby
    Lullaby

Can you guys believe that I’m reading this 17 years later and going through the exact same thing. And the thing that hurts the most is still, if I may quote @roybatty that I don’t even know what scares me most - that I’ll miss my mum until the day I die or that one day I won’t miss her at all.

As much as I try not to think of her, some time I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror and realise how much we look alike or I realise I am using one of her phrases that I have not heard in years and it all comes crushing down in an instant..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit