Our "Aussie" Christmas Tree

by Stephanus 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Onacruse: Man! You come up with the most obscure stuff! Are you talking about A.M. Hislop, the forestry science type guy? You must be - I can't find any reference to The Two Babylons in what I posted...

• onacruse
    onacruse

Stephanus, no one has ever accused me of being out in the right field...the left field yes, but never the right field!

My edition of The Two Babylons (1959, second American Edition) has comments on pp. 97-99 about the connection between the Christmas tree and Baal, Adonis, and Aesculapius.

As you say, no connection to your post, but what the hey! Not the first time someone took a hard detour on a thread! LOL

Katie and I opted not to get a tree this year, for no particular reason...busy making reservations for our wedding in Vegas on Christmas Day.

Now that I think about it, that's not a bad substitute for the Baal thing after all.

Craig

Edited to correct sp of Aesculapius...never could spell it right! hehe

Edited by - onacruse on 12 December 2002 4:32:49

• logical
    logical

im with hippy, you tree murderer

• Prisca
    Prisca

Wow, a real live tree (or is it dead now?)

Your tree looks great Steph, I'm sure all of you had fun decorating it.

Hope the Stephanus family have a great Christmas Day. I'll be with the Ozzies this year, so I'll have a glass of shiraz in your honor!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Not just one glass, Pris!!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Dammit, Pris, we were going to invite you!

Logical: Don't worry, it had a short but happy life.

Ona: Had forgotten all about that Two Babylons stuff; I find it interesting that he says that the Christmas tree had both Egyptian and Roman origins, then goes on about all the Baal stuff - talk about using a broad brush!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit