What's Ozzie been drinking?

by ozziepost 15 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

When the Borg sent their henchmen to tell us that they'd taken our children from us, they weren't kidding.

So life now is a mix of ups and downs. This week has been all of those, often within the same hour!

So, Mrs Ozzie and I sought solace at the Apostate Restaurant tonight. How pleasant to be with 'normal' people who aren't bound by cultist rules but are simply human.

Mrs Ozzie had a penne dish, with Greek Salad, whilst I had my favorite peppper steak. But what was it complemented with? I took a bottle of Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Shiraz Cabernet 2001.

I've found 2001 to have been a very good year for shiraz. The bottle's label reads: "Combining the warmth and spice of shiraz with the fruity richness of Cabernet Sauvignon, this early drinking wine will suit a broad range of cuisines."

Well, it sure does!

Here's the link for the tasting notes:

http://www.penfolds.com.au/TheRange/TastingNotes/RawsonsRetreatShirazCabernet.pdf

One thing I noticed was the high level of tannin in the glass. Now that's my kind of drop!

I'm sure you ladies would like to know what Mrs Ozzie thought of it. Well, she remarked: "Ooh, that's nice."

And now she's dozing on the couch with Vivaldi playing in the background.

Ah, the delights of a good meal with a good wine.

Cheers, Ozzie

Edited by - ozziepost on 11 December 2002 7:53:15

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Sounds like the perfect meal to me.

Cheers Ozzie.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I don't know if this Penfolds drop is available overseas but here in Oz it's around A$17 a bottle. So it's one of the better wines available in the marketplace.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

I've never seen it out here Ozzie, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

When I was last in Nederland, the only shiraz from Oz that I could find was a Jacobs Creek. It was in Marks & Spencers, but they've closed, haven't they?

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

I wouldn't know about Marks and Spencer, I never shop there . But I do know Jacobs Creek, excellent wine.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Ozzie - I'll ask again here, are any of your "recommendations" on the "lighter" side, or is the taste usually more robust (heavier?) flavor?

And, do any of your recommendations come for under $20.00 (US) dollars?

"Wine for Dummies" - they haven't written that book yet - and inquiring minds need to know before the upcoming holiday festivities commence!

• Princess
    Princess

I've seen that label here Ozzie. I usually don't like the shiraz/cabernet blends as much as the straight shiraz but I'll pick up a bottle if I see one.

It is really helpful when you can post a picture of the bottle. Some of the labels sound familiar but when I can see it I remember where I've seen them before. Then I can make a beeline for the store.

Rachel

• BATHORY
    BATHORY

G'Day ozi

Firstly where can i find this appostate resteraunt of yours to experience its dining pleasures ???

I was at the observatory hotel last night till 1 am, in the globe room, its nice there they have so much variety of reds and whites even you would be impressed mate !!

i was drinking johnny blue label and i had a filthy french red, forget the name, ill be there tonight as well so ill check get it then. Something like chateau pope something, about 20 years old the bugger was.

Amazing how good a mature red can get, even when you have consumed half a bottle of johnny blue !

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Bathory, how is the blue label anyway? I never could bring myself to drop that kind of loot on just one bottle. I will have to settle for a description of how it tastes

Path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit