More Bloody Confusion....

by hillary_step 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

The British Journal Of Hematology 2002 119 25-37 makes interesting reading in its article by Judith Marsh and David Bevan entitled 'Haematological Care Of Jehovahs Witnesses'. Nothing new, but in view of what I heard recently from an JW acquaintance working in the hematology department of a local hospital it gave me some food for thought.

The long article necessarily of a scientific nature and therefore without any noted bias makes this point regarding the alteration in policy by the WTS toward those JWs who take blood transfusions as a matter of choice:

"Changing consequences for JW of receiving blood transfusions: irrelevant to the issue of consent

Any JW known, between 1961 and 2000, to be transfused with a prohibited blood product would have been expelled from the Society and ostracised by other JW, a policy known as disfellowship ( Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, 1981; Ridley 1999 ). This often meant social isolation and rejection of the transfusion recipient by their own family. Disfellowship was abandoned in 2000. Rejection is no longer carried out by JW congregations but self-inflicted: any JW who willfully and without regret accepts a blood transfusion revokes his own membership by his own actions. This policy shift is clearly a matter for individual JW rather than doctors : the UK JW Transfusion Committee take the view that nothing essentially has changed, as no JW would wish to dissociate themselves ( JW Hospital Liason Committee, personal communication)."

Apart from the view stated by the WTS not surprising of course, that no right-minded person would not want to be a JW, it is clear that the medical profession see a clear shift in WTS policy where the taking of blood transfusions is concerned. The article further states:

"Doctors, however, should consider the possibility that individual JW patients have interpreted this change as allowing them to accept transfusion under certain circumstances. This possibility could only emerge ( and be realized ) in absolute medical confidentiality. Every JW patient should ( unless they decline the offer ) at some point be asked about their personal interpretation in a one-to-one consultation."

It would be prudent to conclude that the WTS are well aware of the ring of confusion that they have thrown over this whole issue and it serves them well to throw the issue out of focus to such an extent that many of their adherents do not fully understand and likely never will understand either the medical nor the theological implications of the choices made for them.

This is evidenced by the fact that a JW that I am well acquainted with, who is not unsympathetic to XJWs, and who works in the hematology department of the local hospital knows of four JWs who in recent months have secretly taken blood transfusions with components outlawed by the WTS and a further five who have against WTS policy allowed autologous predonation ( storing the patients own blood in advance of a needed operation ). I suspect that the WTS is glad that their dark secret remains a secret thereby precluding the possibility of any negative publicity toward them, but it does seem that at least some JWs are taking whole blood transfusions, they are just not admitting to having done so. The JW who knows this information would never think of passing it on to their elders, though of course this is required of her by WTS policy.

The problem of course with the decision making process of many JWs with regard to blood transfusions ( whom it must be admitted often understand little of the theological issues involved in the blood issue except for the simplistic interpretations and slogans forced upon them ) is that they are seldom in a position that allows for an unbiased choice in the matter. The article goes on:

"One conundrum is difficult to address in guidelines. Although the option is always given to the JW patient to discuss key issues of consent on his or her own, most will insist on the attendance of a relative or associate who is also a JW."

One wonders how many more secret blood transfusions would take place if the hospitalized JW was able to decide these matters without any external emotional and theological pressure being applied. It is clear that the medical world though trying hard to accept the decision of the patient, recognize that that 'will' of the patient often belongs not to that person but to the relative, or committee that is with them helping to ensure that they make the 'correct' decision.

That a person would be willing to play Russian Roulette with their lives due, not to genuinely held principled beliefs, which I am sure we would all respect, but due to the overriding issue of how others within their religious communities might view their choices, shows the unhealthy depth of control that the WTS has on the lives of its followers.

Best to you all, though just one blessing for each person - regardless of the number of multiple posting accounts that they do not have! - HS

Edited to clarify a point kindly made by Sam Beli.

Edited by - hillary_step on 13 December 2002 17:42:26

• deddaisy
    deddaisy
    The problem of course with the decision making process of many JWs with regard to blood transfusions ( whom it must be admitted often understand little of the theological issues involved in the blood issue except for the simplistic interpretations and slogans forced upon them ) is that they are seldom in a position that allows for an unbiased choice in the matter.

Isn't this the truth! I guarantee there are tons of Witnesses that have been baptised without really examining the blood issue! All they know is what the Society force feeds them three times weekly. Plenty are just sincere people, not scholars of the Bible, but people needing some hope. Next thing they're faced with physical death, or emotional death. Nice religion.

Thanks HS

peace, dd

• Xena
    Xena

I found it interesting when I went to give blood that apparently some people are pressured into giving blood by friends and peers, they are afraid to admit that they CAN'T give blood for medical reasons (AIDS or other diseases). The blood bank, therefore, privately asks you if this is the case and informs you that they will basically cover for you by saying they don't need your blood or giving you another valid reason for not being able to give blood.

Wouldn't it be nice if the hospitals could come up with something like this for the JW's that might actually want blood but are to afraid to admit it?

Interesting too how this shows the shift they have made from the congergation being the ones to punish the individual to the individual being responsible for their own punishment or "ousting" from the congergation....very convenient for them...

• deddaisy
    deddaisy
    Interesting too how this shows the shift they have made from the congergation being the ones to punish the individual to the individual being responsible for their own punishment or "ousting" from the congergation....very convenient for them...

I agree with xena, how convenient. maybe the legal department is responsible for this "new light?"

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Bump.

worth being read by everyone. Lots of mud in the water. The Watchtower will dump this belief in the end, Ive got no doubt.

Edited by - refiners fire on 11 December 2002 14:56:9

• Scully
    Scully

Xena writes:

Yes, it's an automatic DA for someone who takes a blood transfusion... no committee meeting to determine whether it was decided in a momentary lapse of weakness.... no appeal process.... no chance for mercy or forgiveness. If you've taken blood it's automatically assumed that the decision was premeditated and that the person wilfully sinned against "Jehovah" and the holy spirit.

Actually, the medical community does have a provision for allowing a JW patient to accept a blood transfusion without other JWs becoming aware of it. It's called PATIENT CONFIDENTIALITY. If a JW ever wishes to have a private conversation with a nurse or physician to advise them that they will accept a blood transfusion, the law allows for that. No elder, ministerial servant, circuit overseer, JW wife, JW father, JW mother, JW sibling etc etc has the right to impede that process. The hospital and its staff is legally obliged to put measures in place where a blood transfusion can be administered without anyone else finding out. Visitors can be restricted at any time. Security guards can be placed outside a patient's room. Units of blood can be discreetly brought into the patient's room and also disposed of discreetly afterward. The patient will need to be very precise about their instructions to the hospital staff, and if possible it should be in writing and signed by the patient and witnessed by the hospital staff with whom the discussion is taking place. This is one of those ideal times when an Advanced Medical Directive would be extremely useful, particularly one that states that under NO circumstances will a JW Hospital Liaison Committee member be notified of the patient's hospitalization.

The really sick thing about this is that if someone actually dies after they've accepted a transfusion, and it becomes known by other JWs..... they will be DAd post-humously.... and will not be eligible for a memorial service at the Kingdom Hall. They will even be shunned in death. I wonder if this has actually happened yet. If it hasn't, it will happen some day.

Love, Scully

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    One wonders how many more secret blood transfusions would take place if the hospitalized JW was able to decide these matters without any external emotional and theological pressure being applied.

Clearly there would be many.

My view is that individuals within the Borg (the R&F) are so un-used to making personal decisions that, when confronted with the intricacies of the WTS blood dogma, opt for the "all is bad" approach. It's simpler that way because they're ill-equipped to think things through for themselves.

BTW it's so good to see your name on the current day's posters. Our very warmest regards to you.

All the best to you for the new year.

Cheers, Ozzie

• waiting
    waiting
    Rejection is no longer carried out by JW congregations but self-inflicted : any JW who willfully and without regret accepts a blood transfusion revokes his own membership by his own actions.
    This policy shift is clearly a matter for individual JW rather than doctors : the UK JW Transfusion Committee take the view that nothing essentially has changed, as no JW would wish to dissociate themselves ( JW Hospital Liason Committee, personal communication).

"Self-inflicted rejection" - how succinctly that's put....almost tongue in cheek. Sad, but true. The WTBTS has decided that if their followers are to be totally rejected, why, that follower should do it to himself. Afterall, HE caused it - not the WTBTS.

And besides, "no JW would wish to dissaciate themselves." In other words, no JW will take a blood transfusion to save his or his loved one's life.

Same ol - samel ol.

Howdy Hilliary - nice to see your post. Merry Christmas!

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 11 December 2002 17:31:30

• Xena
    Xena

I guess I just wish they could go beyond the normal patient confidentiality....It tends to be pretty difficult to get a JW patient who might need blood alone to find out their true feelings on the matter, they are usually surrounded by family and "friends" who are there to offer their "moral" support to any who might waiver. Not to mention the Hospital Liason Committee there to watch over (spy) on all the proceedings.

Due to these facts and circumstances a lot of JW's might not be aware that they can get a secret blood transfusion should they so desire it.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

deddaisy

I guarantee there are tons of Witnesses that have been baptised without really examining the blood issue!

yes!... i was one of them. it took me about 2 hours to reverse my view after carefull deliberation.

Edited by - pleasuredome on 13 December 2002 9:7:30

Edited by - pleasuredome on 13 December 2002 9:10:4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit