What are your current beliefs on God and the bible

by Leander 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Leander
    Leander

When I first left the WTS initially my intentions were to continue studying the bible on my own. But now I really don't see the bible as being a true source of guidance. As a witness I used to constantly read in the articles that God loves mankind, but how much love could there be if there are so many different religions all claiming to be the right one?

Why would God allow himself to be so grossly misrepresented? I

t seems to me that if there were truly only one religion that was serving God correctly it would be easily recognized. Going even further why is the bible so difficult to understand if its meant to be a guide for mankind?

Why are there no signs or miracles being performed in our day?

If you consider the fact that miracles were at times used to strengthen the faith of the Israelites and also a way for God to make his prescence known, then given our current state of affairs we should be up to our necks in miracles because our generation needs them more than any other.

Today I consider myself to be an agonstic, if there really is a God he apparently is not interested in mankind at this particular point in time.

• JT
    JT

your views are not unusally at all, it is like once you are free to question things without fear it allows you to question all things-

my grandma was always saying "Boy don't be questioning the "LARD" for he strike you down"

even if you ask such things as "Why did god let little susan die when the drunk driver only got a little bruise on his leg"

depending on the Belief System will determine How much and How far you are allowed to go in your questioning, some will say - well is a good question and offer some explanation, others will shut you down cold BOY DON'T QUESTION WHY THE LARD DOES WHAT HE DOES-

SO depending on ones belief system will determine how much you are allowed to ask-

but as you start to question you many times like many of us start to see that the support system that many believers base their faith on is not as solid as first claimed

if you notice many will start out by saying THE FACTS SHOW, ETC and when you finish questioning them they are down to:

"YOU JUST GOTTA BELIEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

so much for solid proof and support,

but as they say is that not the stuff faith is made up just believe cause the Society says so in the mags is the mindset that many of us left and we have no desire to return to such

• out4good3
    out4good3

I currently consider myself agnostic also.

I've seen God portrayed on this and other BB's as an absentee landlord and based upon the state of affairs of the world and how todays religions portray and imitate him, I can't help but agree.

I just refuse to believe that my salvation lies in following one so-called "true" organization or that it depends upon a shared percentage of some fictitious ministry. For now, I'll just be content with trying to live a morally clean life, respecting other peoples opinions and treating all as I would like to be treated.

• caligirl
    caligirl

I dit not have any for a long time after leaving. It took me 4-5 years to purge my mind of all the twisted things I had been taught. I considered myself to be without any form of religious belief during those years. It is only within the last couple of years that I have begun to define a belief system that I feel comfortable with.

I have come to the personal conclusion that there is no "right" religion. I have been to several non-denominational services, and one in particular stood out to me. It was said if you are involved in a religious group that tells you that they are the only way to salvation and that you will die if you do not worship their way, RUN! I thought that was pretty sound advice and it made me realize that I was not wrong at being so uncomfortable with what I was told all growing up, and that there were others who felt that it was wrong to have your worship defined for you.

I think that there are miracles being performed. I think that many of us are too jaded to recognize them when we see them.

I wish you the best on your road to recovery.

• Gig
    Gig

The reason Jesus taught in parables is because it made you ask questions, if you wanted the answers you had to study and search, "seek ye first the kingdom of God". I think the reason for your pessimism is because the WT used the Bible only to support their teachings, instead of using their teachings to support the Bible.

Gig

• JH
    JH

The bible is a history book to start with. It talks alot about the past. It is a prophetic book, because it talks about the futur, but I think it is coded to a certain extent, so that even if you read it, you can't understand much. (The book of revelation for example). If the bible was easier to understand, less religions would exist. I believe it to be inspired, but not well understood.

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

I am a Christian. I believe the Bible to be the inspired word of God. Jesus Christ is my savior. I follow him and not man or any particular organization. I agree with the point that the bible is a very misunderstood book. I think most people read too much into things. I don't think anyone has it all right. The only thing you must to do be saved is to accept Jesus Christ as your savior. If you put your faith in him you will be saved. Read Romans chapter 14. It says everyone may do things a little different and that is OK. That is what it means to me free in Christ. Don't get so caught up in various doctrines. You have to do what is right for you. The bible gives us certain guidelines to live by, beyond that live your life how you feel Christ would want you to. I don't think you can go wrong if you do that.

• JT
    JT
    I am a Christian. I believe the Bible to be the inspired word of God. Jesus Christ is my savior. I follow him and not man or any particular organization. I agree with the point that the bible is a very misunderstood book. I think most people read too much into things. I don't think anyone has it all right. The only thing you must to do be saved is to accept Jesus Christ as your savior. If you put your faith in him you will be saved

this is why i just love belief system- I work with a Muslium - one of the best Novell Engineers i have ever worked with - yet he would say- my folks have been muslium for over 350yrs that he can actually trace back and he would say:

I am a Muslium. I believe the Koran to be the inspired word of AllahGod. Mohamid is my savior. I follow him and not man or any particular organization. I agree with the point that the Koran is a very misunderstood book. I think most people read too much into things. I don't think anyone has it all right. The only thing you must to do be saved is to accept Mohamid as your savior. If you put your faith in him you will be saved

it just all depends on where you are born and what culture you are born into for the most part-

take you back 750yrs ago, put you in the middle east and like WAM!!! you are a muslium and your mom has on a Burka- bottom line, in fact my mom would have on one as well as both of them went down to the well for water

how sad

• Carmel
    Carmel

Have you ever considered that maybe all the religions that claim to be "the truth" may be right? Because they can't recognize the truth in the other religions, doesn't discount their own "truth". There are growing numbers of humanity that are becoming aware of the "thruths" that we have in common and are begining to see the diferences are secondary or based on human interpretation. give it a thought. You may be pleasantly surprised at the ramifications.

cheers, caveman

• onacruse
    onacruse

Along the same line of thought as Carmel, my current beliefs are in a certain state of flux. I still believe in God, the Bible and Jesus, but not in the way or specific detail that I used to. My mind is now closed to no alternative. Even, perhaps, the alternative that there is no God, that the Bible is a story, and that Jesus never existed.

For me, this is not lack of faith...this is what faith is all about. Examination, self-examination, suspicion, conviction.

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit