Internet banned?

by gilwarrior 26 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws
    The vast majority of active JWs that I know would never believe anything that appeared on an apostate web site if they accidentally logged on to one.

Maybe that's true of many of the most ignorant ones, but I believe that in the rest of the people there is a certain degree of curiosity. I often wondered exactly what the apostates were saying. Tell me I can't see something and I want to see it all the more. I felt confident we were right and there must be some flaw in their logic that I could find. And once I found that flaw, it would help me if I was ever confronted by an apostate door-to-door.

Yet the information wasn't readily available. I could order books, but say my father or mother saw the package and demanded to know what I ordered - I'd have been busted. It would have even been dangerous to leave it around the house too.

The internet allows a great deal of privacy from technology ignorant persons and even semi-capable ones if you are careful. You can read info on 'apostate' websites and leave no traces that anyone but an expert will find. And without those college-degrees, how many experts do they have?

I think, given the opportunity, many will check things out secretly, then it's up to them. As soon as I read my first 'apostate' literature, I was gone. And today there is so much more out there - and free. There will be those that will actively seek this stuff out, but in the end, believe it to be false information.

The internet is a severe threat. Never before has this info been so available and never before have so many left because of it. And not only do we leave once we learn, we educate others on our way out. They don't always follow us to the door, but the effect is there and the seed planted. And how many have found out the truth and still remain active JWs, subverting from within? With forums like this one to communicate with others like themselves.

Like Xander said, I wouldn't put it past them to do filter software. What's so hard about the program being written to block certain sites. The JWs could actively update the list and the software could get updated lists every time it logs on. It's not that difficult. It does send a message of control, but if likened to safeguarding us (like NetNanny does for children), the JWs might find it easy to stomach.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Taken from the infamous Xenu.net website(Anti-Scientology Website) ---

In 1998, the Church of Scientology started to issue its members with a compact disk, on which was installed a number of pieces of software, including Netscape Navigator. This CD was provided to church adherents under colour of providing them with Internet access software and a web page design tool in order that they could create "personalised" web pages and surf the net. The documentation for this CD also stated that:

"(6) agree to use the specific Internet Filter Program that CSI has provided to you which allows you freedom to view other sites on Dianetics, Scientology or its principals without threat of accessing sites deemed to be using the Marks or Works in an unauthorized fashion or deemed to be improper or discreditable to the Scientology religion".

What most people who installed Netscape Navigator from this CD would not realise was that a censorware program had been incorporated into the installation process. This program gives no indication of its presence on the system, and offers no means of de-installation.

It would be this simple for the WTS to implement, but I imagine they would not. Seeing that the Scientologists beat them to the punch and already took the flak from the media and censorship groups, I'm fairly sure the WTS would not want to get their name spattered about in the press anymore than they would have to due to censorship issues. Afterall, they espouse free speech and freedom this and freedom that.

http://www.xenu.net/archive/events/censorship/

• Xander
    Xander

Well, the point is to not sneak it in the back door like the scientologists' did but to advertise it as a feature.

The part would run like: "Look at this new blessing from the F&DS to protect our children from the vileness and evil on the internet!"

blahblahblah

"Although there is no cost for a member of the congregation in good standing from requesting this with their next literature order, it would be good to keep mind the worldwide donation effort. After all, comparably commercial packages could retail for as much as $200!!"

blahblahblah

"And remember, as witnesses are to be 'innocent as doves', it might be a good idea to leave this filter on when WE are surfing the internet while preparing a talk or doing work. After all, satan is a roaring lion..."

blahblahblah

"We should certainly keep in mind also that Bethelites all surf using this new filter exclusively. Not only is following such an example laudable, but we also wouldn't want to stumble a new one if they saw our computer and it DIDN'T have this software on it! Surely we would want to safeguard again...."

blahblahblah

And that's pretty much how it would go. Guilt and fear.

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

Why dont the just ban reading altogether and start an oral tradition. They might as well; they already contradict themselves as if no one has written proof of their lies.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Orbit,

Regarding your oral comment, did you know that there is no longer a written review? Starting next year it will be an oral review.

What does that have to do with the topic at hand? Nothing at all. Just an fyi of sorts.

• Xander
    Xander

'Oral review'?!?!

I refuse to believe that!

How would that even work?

Proof?

• jws
    jws
    'Oral review'?!?! I refuse to believe that! How would that even work?

Could work like your typical watchtower study or bookstudy. Speaker asks questions, audience answers, just like when they go through it afterwards.

They could probably then shorten the review and squeeze in another speaker part to brainwash you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit