Being called brother/sister in public places

by JH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

This topic certainly brings back memories for me.

I find it ironic that so many, even while remaining active JW's, are utterly embarrassed at the thought of being called "brother" or "sister" while in public and in front of a group of "worldly" people.

Weren't JW's supposed to be PROUD to proclaim their association and thereby praise and vindicate Jehovah's name? Yet the majority of Dubs HATE revealing their affiliation in public, because privately they harbor resentment and fear of being known as a Dub, because the rest of the world views Dubs as religious fanatic / cult members.

Humorous isn't it?

On a related topic, I enjoyed a very similar experience of contending with a JW "title" in public, but it was not "brother", but "apostate" LOL. I was at the bank, and the wife of an elder at the congregation I attended my entire life was there in line also. Using the reverse tactic of greeting a Dub in public so as to force them to react by either shunning me or being cordial, I said hi. She turned and looked the other way as if I did not exist, and this was in front of a group of people in line. Everyone could plainly see that she was ignoring me, so I continued talking loud enough for everyone to hear and I calmly explained that she is an active Jehovah's Witness, and I was formerly one, and because I did not want to be a Witness anymore and left the religion she was obligated by JW rules to completely ignore me as if I did not exist and to treat me as if I was dead. I also said that anyone in this line who is not a JW was condemned to death at Armaggedon, because according to JW doctrine only JW's would be saved, and everyone else was a voluntary member of "Satan's world". They turned to her in astonishment and began to ask her if any of this was true. i cut them off and said it is VERY true, you saw how when I politely said hi she turned away as if I did not exist and would not respond to me. In JW eyes because I left the JW's I am not even worthy of being granted the basic human decency. She literally RAN for the door.

I love giving a reverse witness. I guarantee that group of about 20 people in the bank will NEVER become Dubs.

Dubs HATE it when people expose the true nature of their belief system. They prefer everyone to have the image of JW's as being the polite, well-dressed, moral people who knock on your door to encourage you to read your Bible. Unfortunately you have to have been a Dub or have family within the Dubs to know how cruel and destructive their religion/cult can be.

Edited by - Reborn2002 on 6 December 2002 15:14:34

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

I don't know - I for one liked it. It made me feel special, part of a "group".

• riz
    riz

jesus herbert, jason! you have some major balls! i would have paid to see that

i always prayed to myself that nobody would mention anything about being witnesses in public. going out in service and having to give your presentation to your schoolmates was bad enough. i always felt like such an ass when i'd see someone i knew while going door to door.

i'm a therapist's dream.

anywho, i wanted to give you props. that is classic!

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I never really had that happen to me...not that I remember anyway. I do remember being out to dinner with some JW families after conventions and such and dreading it because they would expect us to all pray before we ate...out loud! I think it was all an attempt to perhaps get noticed by a waitress or manager who might perhaps tell the elders how impressed they are with the JW dedication to prayer, so that perhaps they would be mentioned during the final talk at the assembly.

• Mr Rocky
    Mr Rocky

I once made the mistake of introducing the CO as Brother so&so at the door of a return visit of mine.

BOY was that a mistake!!! Read me the riot act and told me to say MR. so&so

Yours Mr. Rocky, P.S. and I DO MEAN MR. ROCKY to all of youses out there!

• jurs
    jurs

I also hated being called sister Jursnick out in public. My daughters friend always referred to me in that way and I told her she could just call me Laura but she kept on calling me sister!!!!

jurs

• KistByQpid
    KistByQpid

Never having been a JW...I just don't get it. My fanatic JW mom wears her sister "title" like a badge of honor. Her calling everyone in the JW "club" Brother/Sister. The first time I heard the Brother/Sister thing I found it both ridiculous and nauseating at the same time.

• minimus
    minimus

Anybody that does that is a WEIRDO!

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Unfortunately that has happened to me countless times. It is quite embarrasing. (I would have to admit, though, that I was guilty of the same thing.)

Yes, like Mr. Rocky commented, I have also called my "field service" partner Brother So & So in front of the householder. It slipped out. And of course, I was scolded .

Alligator Wisdom

Who knows? They might now call me Brother "NOT Exerting Vigorously" in public as I'm not hurrying to "reach out" for finer privileges.

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

I seriously think they do this simply because they don't know your First Name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit